The Student Room Group

A Level Dilemma

Hi everyone, I was wondering If you could give me advice on my a-levels?

I was pretty certain that I wanted to take A Level History, Religious Studies and Drama. I wanted to have a career in Medieval History/Genealogy and Family History Studies as these are my hobbies and my passions.

Naturally, History A Level was the good choice for History at Uni, and I love the Religious Studies specification- I can't wait until September really. I know a lot of people frown upon Drama, but it has been my most enjoyable GCSE and it just makes me so happy when I perform, I know I would regret dropping something that made me extremely happy. I was also going to do the EPQ to strengthen my application.

It comes to filling my form in for A Levels, and I suddenly have a massive dilemma: am I making the right choice?
In the back of my mind, I keep regretting bypassing English Literature. I was originally going to take it instead of Drama, but I thought that I would enjoy Drama more, and three essay-based subjects wouldn't show a wide range of skills. However, I have always liked English, and don't know whether to trial it as a fourth a-level or not. However, will four be too much for me? My sixth form would probably let me trial a fourth one, but unis look for three good a levels.

Then there is Spanish in the back of my mind, because I am quite good at it and I really like the language, but I find it kind of easy and wonder if it would challenge me enough. However, the fact that one day I would love to love French and Germand Greek one day suggests that I love languages- am I silly to give Spanish up?

There is also the possibility that Latin A Level may be offered to me as extra-curricular, but there is no certainty. I would love this for History, but I have a dilemma that I may not even enjoy History A Level as none of the syllabus is medieval at all and I may get bored. Furthermore, what if History is not the right career for me, and I think it is?

My application is due in less than a fortnight. I'm waiting until Tuesday to see if Latin A level is mentioned.
Should I take History, Religious Studies, English Literature and Drama? Should I trial English Lit? Should I still take the EPQ? If Latin is offered to me, would i take History, Religious Studies, Latin and Drama, as everyone views Drama as a hobby? Will I get bored of so much essay writing, even if I love writing and analysis? Are my subjects not broad enough? or should i stick with my original choice of History, Religious Studies, Drama and an EPQ?

I'm just feeling really indecisive right now and worried about my future career plans. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you! :smile:
Original post by sophieannie1515
Hi everyone, I was wondering If you could give me advice on my a-levels?

I was pretty certain that I wanted to take A Level History, Religious Studies and Drama. I wanted to have a career in Medieval History/Genealogy and Family History Studies as these are my hobbies and my passions.

Naturally, History A Level was the good choice for History at Uni, and I love the Religious Studies specification- I can't wait until September really. I know a lot of people frown upon Drama, but it has been my most enjoyable GCSE and it just makes me so happy when I perform, I know I would regret dropping something that made me extremely happy. I was also going to do the EPQ to strengthen my application.

It comes to filling my form in for A Levels, and I suddenly have a massive dilemma: am I making the right choice?
In the back of my mind, I keep regretting bypassing English Literature. I was originally going to take it instead of Drama, but I thought that I would enjoy Drama more, and three essay-based subjects wouldn't show a wide range of skills. However, I have always liked English, and don't know whether to trial it as a fourth a-level or not. However, will four be too much for me? My sixth form would probably let me trial a fourth one, but unis look for three good a levels.

Then there is Spanish in the back of my mind, because I am quite good at it and I really like the language, but I find it kind of easy and wonder if it would challenge me enough. However, the fact that one day I would love to love French and Germand Greek one day suggests that I love languages- am I silly to give Spanish up?

There is also the possibility that Latin A Level may be offered to me as extra-curricular, but there is no certainty. I would love this for History, but I have a dilemma that I may not even enjoy History A Level as none of the syllabus is medieval at all and I may get bored. Furthermore, what if History is not the right career for me, and I think it is?

My application is due in less than a fortnight. I'm waiting until Tuesday to see if Latin A level is mentioned.
Should I take History, Religious Studies, English Literature and Drama? Should I trial English Lit? Should I still take the EPQ? If Latin is offered to me, would i take History, Religious Studies, Latin and Drama, as everyone views Drama as a hobby? Will I get bored of so much essay writing, even if I love writing and analysis? Are my subjects not broad enough? or should i stick with my original choice of History, Religious Studies, Drama and an EPQ?

I'm just feeling really indecisive right now and worried about my future career plans. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you! :smile:

I think do the 4 and try them out. If you don't like the subject then drop it but if you do continue with all 4 then don't do the EPQ as that's a lot of work. U only really need 2 harder A-level subjects (essay/ science) to be taken seriously by a University so stick with Drama if u enjoy it. Try not to worry too much about your future the subject you are taking, or thinking of taking are good subjects. My opinion would be to take History, Religious Studies, English Literature and Drama and drop one of the subjects if u don't like it.

Quick Reply

Latest