Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone who applies for halls in second year get in? Does anyone know anyone who got rejected?

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for every university but at mine 1st years get priority (which is understandable) and then any leftover places are given to 2nd years.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a second year in halls and have just received an offer to do my third year in halls too. At Southampton, returning students are allocated a room before new first years have even had the chance to apply (They can't apply until April-ish time). First time I got my 2nd choice, and for my third year next year I got my 1st choice, but I definitely think it depends on which halls you apply to. For example, lower-priced en-suites in places like Glen and Monte will be far more in demand than more expensive en-suites at City Gateway, Mayflower and Chamberlain (I know that's in Glen Eyre, but it's £6k+). Both years I have/will be living in Mayflower. Again, that's the higher end of the scale.

Hope that helps.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idkwhoiam)
    Does everyone who applies for halls in second year get in? Does anyone know anyone who got rejected?
    Hey,

The comments below are both correct usually first years will get a priority due to the fact that most of them are not in Southampton so haven't had the opportunity to live in the city to source alternative accommodation. So to aid with their first year of studying the hassle of finding somewhere to live is lessened by the University assisting.

If you are looking for Halls for the 2nd and 3rd years as one of the replies below says you can apply and if you go for one of the more expensive options you may get a place dependent on the popularity of the halls you choose.

Other than that if a halls environment is something you are looking for you do have a fair few private student accommodation options (these are much like halls, just not directly offered from the university)
    They are all inclusive so no need to worry about bills etc and are around the same price of the university's newest halls.

I am the Accommodation Manager for Hampton Square a privately owned student accommodation block 10 minutes from campus, however I was also a student in Southampton so have done the halls and houses process so if you need any further advice feel free to pop into Hampton Square and I can show you around so you can see the difference and I'm happy to talk through any other concerns you may have when looking.

Good Luck with your search and if I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Claire
    Accommodation Manager - Hampton Square

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.