Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So recently I've been interested in becoming a pediatric nurse - I like working with children and after getting over childhood fears of hospitals, I want to help children to get over their fears too whilst helping them get better. No kidding, I also understand that it's not a simple career either.

I did well enough in my GCSE's - 2Cs, 2Bs and 7As (one being biology) however, I never took biology or any other science for my A levels. Instead, I took maths, english lang and lit and music as my ideas for future careers have been all over the place. I understand that it's possible to take a levels outside of school on online courses and stuff but I just don'r know what to do

How impossible is it for me to get into pediatric nursing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigwidgeon_)
    Hi,

So recently I've been interested in becoming a pediatric nurse - I like working with children and after getting over childhood fears of hospitals, I want to help children to get over their fears too whilst helping them get better. No kidding, I also understand that it's not a simple career either.

I did well enough in my GCSE's - 2Cs, 2Bs and 7As (one being biology) however, I never took biology or any other science for my A levels. Instead, I took maths, english lang and lit and music as my ideas for future careers have been all over the place. I understand that it's possible to take a levels outside of school on online courses and stuff but I just don'r know what to do

How impossible is it for me to get into pediatric nursing?
    Hi! 😁

A science A-Level is a contentious issue among universities for nursing. Each university will set their own expectations. Some will make a science A-Level "Compulsory", others will say it's "Preferred" and others won't mind. Look to apply to the universities that don't mind - you obviously have a good knowledge of basic science to obtain an A at GCSE. If you are at any point unsure, the best action to take is to email the admissions departments of the individual universities you are interested in. Best to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Obviously, what is really important when applying for nursing is your work experience, almost more so than your grades, so make sure you have lots of varied work experiences to include in your application. This will help you fully understand the role of a children's nurse, which is particularly important, as there are alot of misconceptions about what we do. If you struggle to get direct care work with children, universities understand this. Any medical type work experience (E.g. St John Ambulance) and work experience with children (E.g. In a primary school) will be fine. I'm a paediatric nurse - anything else I can help with, just shout 😇

ReputationRep:
    I echo what Joel has said. Have a look around and see what different universities require. I think work experience will make you stand out from other candidates so I would focus on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    Hi! 😁

A science A-Level is a contentious issue among universities for nursing. Each university will set their own expectations. Some will make a science A-Level "Compulsory", others will say it's "Preferred" and others won't mind. Look to apply to the universities that don't mind - you obviously have a good knowledge of basic science to obtain an A at GCSE. If you are at any point unsure, the best action to take is to email the admissions departments of the individual universities you are interested in. Best to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Obviously, what is really important when applying for nursing is your work experience, almost more so than your grades, so make sure you have lots of varied work experiences to include in your application. This will help you fully understand the role of a children's nurse, which is particularly important, as there are alot of misconceptions about what we do. If you struggle to get direct care work with children, universities understand this. Any medical type work experience (E.g. St John Ambulance) and work experience with children (E.g. In a primary school) will be fine. I'm a paediatric nurse - anything else I can help with, just shout 😇
    (Original post by ButterflyRN)
    I echo what Joel has said. Have a look around and see what different universities require. I think work experience will make you stand out from other candidates so I would focus on that.
    Thank you!
    I've started looking at universities and I'm hoping to see our careers adviser this week

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.