Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I was like thirteen people (including me) have been assuming that I'll go to university. I did really really well in my GCSEs, well enough to surprise basically everyone, and now I'm in year 12 and my tutor thinks I could be good enough for Oxbridge.

I'd love to be good enough and all that, but every time I think about it I realise I'm not good enough because I'm not motivated enough and everyone else is on Model UN and they read everything and volunteer and work a job and do this and that and I do nothing.

So I started looking around at other universities and now I'm thinking that History isn't my thing at all. I centred all my subject choices around the prospect of doing History at uni and History is by far my favourite and best subject, but I'm not sure that the way it's studied at university is for me. I love learning about history, but I don't think I could ever be any good at research and discussion or really being intelligent enough for it to work out for me.

I'm also really terrified that my mental health will get worse when I go to university. I know it's bad and everything, but I always need to be better than other people. At GCSE I was better than everyone, and now I'm at a level there are people who do better than me and it always makes me feel awful. As I move up and up there are going to be more and more people who are better than me until eventually I'll be the least intelligent person in the room and the thought of that crushes me.

I just really don't know what to do about it and I don't know if I should just give up and set my sights on something else or not.

ReputationRep:
    Heya! I know what you mean. I'm currently in my first year of a zoology degree which is what I've assumed I would do since I was about 10 however now I'm doing it I'm not so sure. I'm proud of myself for getting to where I wanted to be but wish I stopped to think it through. I would advise you to apply this year as if you are going to go, but then in the summer you can always differ your entry which means you don't go until a year later so take a gap year to think things through. Then if it is what you want then your place is still there but if it's not then you aren't stuck at a uni you don't want to be at. This is what I wish I had done. I managed to control my mental health at school and college but now I'm definitely struggling and considering dropping out because of it. Just think through all of your options and write down advantages and disadvantages for them and I'm sure you will find something you love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAmy123)
    Heya! I know what you mean. I'm currently in my first year of a zoology degree which is what I've assumed I would do since I was about 10 however now I'm doing it I'm not so sure. I'm proud of myself for getting to where I wanted to be but wish I stopped to think it through. I would advise you to apply this year as if you are going to go, but then in the summer you can always differ your entry which means you don't go until a year later so take a gap year to think things through. Then if it is what you want then your place is still there but if it's not then you aren't stuck at a uni you don't want to be at. This is what I wish I had done. I managed to control my mental health at school and college but now I'm definitely struggling and considering dropping out because of it. Just think through all of your options and write down advantages and disadvantages for them and I'm sure you will find something you love
    Thank you The problem I'm seeing is that I sort of closed off all my options so I could do the thing I loved most. And I'm not even sure what I'd do in a gap year! The future is really scary and everyone seems to have worked it out or just not thought about it at all.

I hope things work out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    Thank you The problem I'm seeing is that I sort of closed off all my options so I could do the thing I loved most. And I'm not even sure what I'd do in a gap year! The future is really scary and everyone seems to have worked it out or just not thought about it at all.

I hope things work out for you
    The future IS scary- time just seems to go SO very quickly!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.