Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1101 – Incest Decriminalisation Bill 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpodty)
    lol people always use that as an excuse. Just admit you are a hypocrite and you don't want two consenting adults from the same family getting together because you find it disgusting. I find incest disgusting as well but I have no right to force that view onto two consenting adults who are harming nobody. You certainly can't complain about homophobes but you will because you're a hypocrite.

So what if two gays from the same family decided to get together? Would that be ok since there is no chance of a baby being born?
    Nobody opposing this bill on a solid moral foundation is opposing the act of sex. They are opposing the idea that a child should have to be exposed both to an unnecessary risk of defect and being raised by siblings.

So yes, obviously gay relatives can **** and I don't have a problem with that. Straight ones can too, but this bill makes no mention of protections against procreation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    this bill makes no mention of protections against procreation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is, after all, why the readings process exists.

ReputationRep:
    It is slightly off topic, but while I am still unmade up on this bill, I would actually like to thank the writer for submitting it as something that occurred to me today when discussing the recordings of lectures and sensitive/controversial subjects made me think of the HoC compared to the MHoC.

Here we can debate, somewhat civilly, issues such as this and others which are controversial, and do so freely without the worry of our words being twisted in the media, or without having to stop and think if it would damage the party in the polls. Issues which may not be vital or a priority, but are controversial, too much so to ever have a proper, meaningful debate in the actual House of Commons.

And it tends to be these more controversial bills where people's views can be challenged, and party divided perhaps mean less than one's own views and beliefs, which can be much more fun and entertaining to debate and discuss than the more typical items which go before the house more regularly
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    It is slightly off topic, but while I am still unmade up on this bill, I would actually like to thank the writer for submitting it as something that occurred to me today when discussing the recordings of lectures and sensitive/controversial subjects made me think of the HoC compared to the MHoC.

Here we can debate, somewhat civilly, issues such as this and others which are controversial, and do so freely without the worry of our words being twisted in the media, or without having to stop and think if it would damage the party in the polls. Issues which may not be vital or a priority, but are controversial, too much so to ever have a proper, meaningful debate in the actual House of Commons.

And it tends to be these more controversial bills where people's views can be challenged, and party divided perhaps mean less than one's own views and beliefs, which can be much more fun and entertaining to debate and discuss than the more typical items which go before the house more regularly
    :yes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    :yes:
    My right honourable friend is saying, in her own eloquent way, that most of the people here's arguments suck so it's a good thing they won't be in the Daily Telegraph tomorrow.

Spoiler:
    Show

Lol jk I repped.

• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    My right honourable friend is saying, in her own eloquent way, that most of the people here's arguments suck so it's a good thing they won't be in the Daily Telegraph tomorrow.

Spoiler:
    Show

Lol jk I repped.

My 30 second poem "Ode to The Telegraph"

Nescient nitwits natter nonchalantly
    Arrogant anglophones angrily arrogate
    Some semblance (of) sophomoric sophistry
    Taking time to tell
    You you're yawningly young

Thank you, I'm here all week.

ReputationRep:
    without the worry of our words being twisted in the media, or without having to stop and think if it would damage the party in the polls
    There's TSR UKIP doing all the twisting
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Agreed, I may be repulsed by this but respect to the Libers for submitting it. It's certainly brought non-MHoCers to the forum which is a good thing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    My 30 second poem "Ode to The Telegraph"

Nescient nitwits natter nonchalantly
    Arrogant anglophones angrily arrogate
    Some semblance (of) sophomoric sophistry
    Taking time to tell
    You you're yawningly young

Thank you, I'm here all week.
    I do like a good ol' poem
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstain - Leaning towards Nay over the idea of this bill.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Abstain - Leaning towards Nay over the idea of this bill.
    There will be a second reading later that may sway you so hold that thought.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill has gone to a second reading.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.