Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tad concerned that people are support incest between parents/grandparents and their children/grandchildren! Wtf that's crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's weird and all, but I sort of look forward to the day when the insult "Go and f*** your mother" may be met with "Erm.... I don't get it?".
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    ..........................:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    Nay. We should not be supporting such immoral acts. Incest is not something you are born with.
    If homosexuality is something you are born with, how do you know incest is not something people are born with? And given that you feel that immoral acts should be prohibited under the law, I wrote a bill to prohibit buggery, as it is an immoral act. Would you support it when it is up for debate in House?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Nay. Absolute nay. Symptomatic of mental health issues, not something to be accepted socially.

Also a family member will always be in a 'position of trust' so this brings up ethical issues.
    Would you agree that homosexuality and transgenderism are symptomatic of mental health issues? It seems that a lot of people who call themselves homosexuals or transgender have mental health issues, so would you agree that these acts are not something to be accepted socially?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Would you support banning people with Down's Syndrome having sex as well? It's essentially the same thing, as ByronicHero explained in the notes, it is harsh for them to force a child into the world with a disability in this way, when they could've done something about it, but I think we should support those cases in the same way we support kids with serious disabilities now.
    Yes, I would support some kind of constraints on reproductive freedom to prevent serious disabilities. There are enough kids in this world without parents who ought to be adopted, we don't need to go around popping out more ****ed up ones

May sound like eugenics, but honestly I don't care. There's no reason we as a human race should continue to tolerate the production of disabled people when it's not necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily Porter)
    I may be labelled as a perv here, but I do support the decriminalisation of sexual relationships between uncles/aunts and nephew/nieces - largely because a significant minority are around the same age.

As for the others highlighted in the bill, oh hell naw. That really is sick. No to this bill
    I could say that homosexuality is really sick. Would you agree to ban buggery given that it is a sick act?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree, to an extent, funnily enough; hence my reply to Jammy where I said that it's the responsibility of the parents if they choose to have a child in this way, I support the abolition of benefits alltogether and believe in a voluntary charity based welfare system instead.

But, realistically that's never gonna happen so I support the welfare state as a necessary evil, however I do aim to limit it where necessary.
    Charity is stupid and inefficient. The state is far better at distributing resources than charity ever will be. Personally I would have high tax and then 'voluntary tex' which you pay and get to decide in what area it gets spent.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Mothers and grandparents are in a position of trust so no, not really.
    I recall some stats that say as much as a third of people loose their virginity to their siblings or have some form is sexual contact with them before 18 and this is often forced by the older children so I'm not a fan of this idea either because of the message it might send.

Cousins I have no issue with and the same with aunts if it isn't a position of trust relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Extraordinary degeneracy.

That said... I don't have a philosophically sound reason not to support this. But still. Ew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I recall some stats that say as much as a third of people loose their virginity to their siblings or have some form is sexual contact with them before 18 and this is often forced by the older children so I'm not a fan of this idea either because of the message it might send.

Cousins I have no issue with and the same with aunts if it isn't a position of trust relationships.
    First cousin relations are, I believe, already legal. Hangup of the aristocracy I assume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

What about uncles?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    First cousin relations are, I believe, already legal. Hangup of the aristocracy I assume.
    they are indeed, I assumed that it was because genetic diversity is low enough there...

(Original post by joecphillips)
    What about uncles?
    Well surely it is implicit?

ReputationRep:
    Why, just why?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know , this bill is so ****ed up.
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    I don't know , this bill is so ****ed up.
    Abstain.
    That's just society conditioning you that way, as Unown Uzer said; if you're ok with homosexuality, you should be ok with this, or you're a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    That's just society conditioning you that way, as Unown Uzer said; if you're ok with homosexuality, you should be ok with this, or you're a hypocrite.
    Surely supporting this in real life could lead to electoral doom(possibly)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. I'm usually for liberal legislation but this just seems rather inappropriate and unnecessary. I will need quite a lot more convincing if I am to vote in favour of this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Surely supporting this in real life could lead to electoral doom(possibly)
    People said that about gay marriage; the preservation of individual liberty (especially social liberty) is more important than electability.

Economic Liberty is where I can be pragmatic and say "well, this isn't gonna be popular," like the social security example I gave earlier in this thread.

But if people are opposed to individual social liberty that is not breaching the NAP, and doesn't really affect them at all (they can still chose to have sex with whoever they want) then they are fascists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Abstain. I'm usually for liberal legislation but this just seems rather inappropriate and unnecessary. I will need quite a lot more convincing if I am to vote in favour of this one.
    Why do you think consenting adults having sex is inappropriate?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.