top being the most mportant:
    good personality
    intelligence
    good looks
    money
    height
    Why is intelligence important?

ReputationRep:
    Why do people always assume there has to always be a hierarchy for this stuff? like when I'm looking a girl I tend to treat looks and personality as equally important. Seems pretty weird looking at it in a way that suggests all people somehow don't want a partner that has an effective full set of good qualities

*steps off soapbox and puts it away* :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JokesOnYoo)
    Why is intelligence important?
    Dont wanna use the word dumb but intelligence means that person knows their stuff and i also just kinda assume that it means they have a decent career.

ReputationRep:
    Good Looks
    Money
    Intelligence
    Good personality (includes humour etc)
    Height
    Good personality, intelligence, height, good looks, money

ReputationRep:
    As a guy, and this probably generalizes to girls too, I find it's very difficult to know what process determines whether you 'hit it off' with someone or whether you fancy them. I find that, when I look back at people I've dated or wanted to date, their qualities are quite different to how I would have answered this question, and sometimes they come in totally opposite combinations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lavaridge)
    As a guy, and this probably generalizes to girls too, I find it's very difficult to know what process determines whether you 'hit it off' with someone or whether you fancy them. I find that, when I look back at people I've dated or wanted to date, their qualities are quite different to how I would have answered this question, and sometimes they come in totally opposite combinations.
    Examples

ReputationRep:
    Good personality,
    Intelligence,
    Good looks,
    Money,
    Height

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Why do people always assume there has to always be a hierarchy for this stuff? like when I'm looking a girl I tend to treat looks and personality as equally important. Seems pretty weird looking at it in a way that suggests all people somehow don't want a partner that has an effective full set of good qualities

*steps off soapbox and puts it away* :getmecoat:
    When i look for a girl. I only look for a couple of things. Intelligence, Above average looks and Good personality.

ReputationRep:
    Good Looks
    Money
    Intelligence
    Height
    Personality
    Intelligence
    Looks
    Money
    Height

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Dont wanna use the word dumb but intelligence means that person knows their stuff and i also just kinda assume that it means they have a decent career.
    I know a few very intelligent people who have very average careers because they don't have the drive or interpersonal skills to further their career. Also "intelligence" is a very vague term, as someone can be highly intelligent academically yet have very little common sense or living skills.

ReputationRep:
    Good personality
    Good Looks
    Intelligence
    Money
    Height

ReputationRep:
    Good Looks
    Money
    Intelligence
    Height
    It's a good job I have all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I know a few very intelligent people who have very average careers because they don't have the drive or interpersonal skills to further their career. Also "intelligence" is a very vague term, as someone can be highly intelligent academically yet have very little common sense or living skills.
    An average career is a decent career. I just meant not having a dodgy job
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I can't put an importance because I find I fall for guys who I click with, there is no 'yes he must be funny so I like him or insanely hot' etc. Most of the time its people I've been friends with first anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Examples
    Three people that most stand out in my dating history:

Girl 1 - super-academic, emotionally fragile, geeky appearance, quite quiet
    Girl 2 - 'underground' culture, smoked, not particularly academic, wanted to travel etc, very cold outer shell and not needy at all, physically cute
    Girl 3 - emotionally demanding/controlling, career-focused, physically attractive, really chatty

The one thing they all have in common is that they're quite serious during conversation - which is not a personality trait I'd have said I'd look for - but in terms of intelligence, appearance and other personality variables they were totally different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    When someone is intelligent, their life is more interesting, they are more interesting and also you'll be safer in their company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calm down)
    It's a good job I have all of them
    humble bee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    An average career is a decent career. I just meant not having a dodgy job
    I meant like working in McDonald's all his life aha, which is nothing bad in itself IMO but goes to show that intelligence doesn't always mean a great career and there are a lot of women out there that would brush off a McDonald's employee. There are also a lot of dumb celebrities and businessmen/women who are rich because they've got a good head for business without being at all academically gifted :lol:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.