Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Order! Questions to the Secretary of State for Health!

Ministerial questions is an opportunity for members to put questions to government ministers, with the Rt Hon. JoeL1994 MP answering your questions over the course of two days.

The relevant shadow minister, the Rt Hon. mobbsy91 MP, may ask two questions, with a follow-up question for each. MPs may ask one question, with one follow-up. Ordinary users may ask one question with no follow-ups. I will intervene if members do not respect these rules.

Please keep the joke questions to a minimum.

ReputationRep:
    What is the Rt Hon. JoeL1994 doing to help bridge the NHS funding gap?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Would the right honourable gentleman JoeL1994 confirm whether or not he will be sanctioning a pay rise for junior doctors in the NHS this term?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mr Speaker, I'd like to start by congratulating my right honourable friend the Secretary of State for Health on his achievements in the term so far and thank him for his loyalty and dedication. He has done good work and defended it to a House so often unwilling to recognize good work and he has put forward bold ideas in the face of Opposition from all sides. I am proud to have appointed him the post.

My question is as follows: what lessons can and should the TSR Government learn from the concerning real-life situation when it comes to ensuring our health service is the best it can be?

ReputationRep:
    What measures are being taken to deter and reduce health tourism and how much longer can the National Health Service continue to provide an international health service?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen a bill introduced by the government to abolish the NHS. Would the Right Honorable JoeL1994 clarify when that is coming?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Can my right honourable friend please inform the house if he plans to combat drug resistance and how he will do this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mr Speaker,

I would like to ask the Rt Hon. JoeL1994 how he aims to reduce A&E waiting times?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Mr Speaker,

I firstly congratulate my former colleague and Right Honourable Friend JoeL1994 on the Government's first SOI of the term, and his role as Secretary of State for Health.

Following on from my comments on the SOI, what specifically will the Government be doing to tackle the issues surrounding Sexual Health and would the Right Honourable Gentleman agree with me that more funding (that must be targeted specifically) is necessary to improve our Sexual Health facilities?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    What is the Rt Hon. JoeL1994 doing to help bridge the NHS funding gap?
    I think we're very quickly coming to the realisation that a funding gap is going to be present for the foreseeable future unless we want to make decisions that endanger lives. I believe the RL Labour Government made mistakes by appointing too many managerial positions where they weren't needed and was afraid to challenge the failings in the much loved NHS for fear of outcry. The current change in culture in the NHS (more autonomy for AHPs, transparency in care, greater focus on the 6Cs etc.) is helping to fix this. I think small steps have been taken so far, switching to ILCs should assist in keeping people out of hospital while the recreational activity centres will go some way to providing therapeutic engagement to individuals currently under the care of community mental health trusts. I would like to go further and encourage the integration of primary/acute care (potentially) through situating GP surgeries in A&E departments or rolling out Rapid Response Falls Teams across the country (feel free to ask about these if you're currently not aware of their role) but obviously this does require capital investment to meet long term aims. Keeping the NHS bursary would help somewhat in solving the locum post problem we face - I'd rather pay a working member of the NHS a direct salary than pay X amount on top just because the position is a locum role.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Mr Speaker,

Would the right honourable gentleman JoeL1994 confirm whether or not he will be sanctioning a pay rise for junior doctors in the NHS this term?
    I'd like to wait to see the next development in the discussions between the RL Government and junior doctors to establish what the current position of the junior doctors is to allow this Department to react appropriately. I would like to make it clear now that I do not agree with Jeremy Hunt's handling of the situation and recognise the complaints about the contract he put before the BMA; any movement on this will be coming later in the term. The entire discussion is a very complex one and whilst I have been following the situation closely I would rather be 100% sure of the current situation and possibly release this as an individual statement than make any rash promises now.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Mr Speaker, I'd like to start by congratulating my right honourable friend the Secretary of State for Health on his achievements in the term so far and thank him for his loyalty and dedication. He has done good work and defended it to a House so often unwilling to recognize good work and he has put forward bold ideas in the face of Opposition from all sides. I am proud to have appointed him the post.

My question is as follows: what lessons can and should the TSR Government learn from the concerning real-life situation when it comes to ensuring our health service is the best it can be?
    I'd like to thank my right honourable friend the Prime Minister for his kind words on my work in the post so far.

I'd like to refer to my previous answer to frankielogue about the current culture of care changes in the NHS. The hierarchy of Doctors being above Nurses is being challenged more and more and no member of the NHS should be afraid to stand up if they see something unsafe. The Francis Report was a shock to the working procedures of the NHS but the changes they have prompted are incredibly positive. Transparency of care in acute services returns the power to the patient with regards to understanding what should be provided to them. Current NHS training also places huge emphasis on client-centred practice and evidence-informed practice (as opposed to evidence based practice), both ideas that can only increase the quality of care that we expect from a service that is loved nationwide. We need to continue to promote the idea that the NHS should fulfil it's number one aim of providing high quality care that is free at the point of access whether that is as a Mental Health Nurse on a medium secure locked service in Broadmoor or as a Speech and Language Therapist in a school for students with severe learning disabilities. There should be no discrimination or varying standard in any of the care provided, nor by any worker working in the NHS; hospital porters should hold the same care value base as nurses.

We should not be scared to think differently, even if that involves making changes to current provision. The NHS needs to change with the times and do this as pragmatically and safely as possible.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ATW1)
    What measures are being taken to deter and reduce health tourism and how much longer can the National Health Service continue to provide an international health service?
    I'm not privy to the idea that health tourism is a major threat to the NHS. We are a National Health Service for those in this country who require care, it is a dangerous idea to believe that hordes of international citizen's are abusing the NHS and goes against the idea of what a care service should be. However, the NHS does do a poor job at present of recouping costs from illegal use of the service (currently about £200m per year). There is no easy fix to this but the RL Government's rise in the cost of visas to cover the cost of this slightly alleviates the matter.

Another way this could be done would be through charging countries directly once a patient provides details of their former address and citizenship, but that would have to come about through work with the SoS Foreign Affairs.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Gladstone1885 PetrosAC Aph Quamquam123

Thanks for your patience, I'll answer your questions tonight.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    I haven't seen a bill introduced by the government to abolish the NHS. Would the Right Honorable JoeL1994 clarify when that is coming?

Thanks
    I'm saving it for my last bill of the term

(Original post by Aph)
    Can my right honourable friend please inform the house if he plans to combat drug resistance and how he will do this.
    I thank my right honourable friend for a question on a topic that's highly relevant with the increase in deaths from so called 'superbugs'. I'm wholly supportive of research into new medication that may improve effectiveness in treating different conditions. I also commend the RL Tory Government on the various publications that they've produced on the differences between fungi, bacteria and viruses, the reasons it's important to finish a course of antibiotics and why you should never store antibiotics. The actual purchase of new drugs that may provide the answer to the drug resistant strains would be a joint effort between the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency and the NHS Business Service Authority. Directly, I have no plans (this term at least) to legislate on these matters, but would welcome further research into potential answers to the problems that we may be faced with in the next 30 years.

(Original post by Quamquam123)
    Mr Speaker,

I would like to ask the Rt Hon. JoeL1994 how he aims to reduce A&E waiting times?
    I would love to leave this term having had a real focus that enables us to focus on prevention as opposed to cure. I think once people come into acute are, the ideas in my SOI increase the service that enables them to get back to living a life with increased health and wellbeing, meaning there is no need to return to acute medicine for the same issue. I will refer to my previous answer again though, it may be an idea to integrate primary and acute medicine to alleviate the strain on the NHS or introduce RRFTs around the country to assist the paramedic service in reducing the number of falls admissions to A&E.

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    Mr Speaker,

I firstly congratulate my former colleague and Right Honourable Friend JoeL1994 on the Government's first SOI of the term, and his role as Secretary of State for Health.

Following on from my comments on the SOI, what specifically will the Government be doing to tackle the issues surrounding Sexual Health and would the Right Honourable Gentleman agree with me that more funding (that must be targeted specifically) is necessary to improve our Sexual Health facilities?
    I thank my right honourable friend for his congratulations.

Increasing awareness of and access to GUM clinics is one answer to the problem we're facing, especially with the increase in prevalence of STIs in under 25s. We are lucky to be in a time where previous Governments have increased access to contraceptive medicine but further work should be done on combating stigma that surrounds sexual health. Any funding discussions will take place between myself and my right honourable friend the Chancellor of the Exchequer, but I am hopeful that the funds we have seen increased in previous Governments will be made available for the relevant agencies at the very least to raise awareness of the services that are currently available.

I can not say more on the matter at present until further discussions are had but will reassure my right honourable friend that this Department will not ignore the needs of those with sexual health conditions.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Mr Speaker

I would like to ask the Rt Hon. JoeL1994 what they are planing, if anything, to combat the absolutely atrocious crimes of hiding data when it comes to the publication of medicinal trials.

See the following books by Ben Goldacre for more info:
    Bad Science
    Bad Pharma
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    x
    I thank the Right Honourable Gentleman for his answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can the Right Honourable Gentleman (or lady, don't want to misgender) affirm how he plans to help resolve the reliance on foreign workers that the NHS has?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Mr Speaker,

Currently, there are a lot of people, I think across the NHS, who say that they need more money. Whilst this is certainly a good point - you can't operate without the cash - just chucking money at the NHS won't solve the problem. May I ask the Rt Hon Gentleman what he thinks are the key areas where funding should be targeted, and what it specifically should be used for?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This question session has ended.

If the Secretary of State wishes for me to re-open this for him to answer remaining questions I will happily do so.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.