Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Health Questions – 14 Jan 2017 Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    JoeL1994
    I'm re-opening this now for you, please let me know when you are done.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Come on JoeL1994 - those people who've had their cancer ops cancelled/postponed don't have all day to wait whilst you go making your dough as the Health Secretary :fuhrer:

Well, maybe they have all day, but for some of them, certainly not long!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Mr Speaker

I would like to ask the Rt Hon. JoeL1994 what they are planing, if anything, to combat the absolutely atrocious crimes of hiding data when it comes to the publication of medicinal trials.

See the following books by Ben Goldacre for more info:
    Bad Science
    Bad Pharma
    I think these books actually increased focus on the ability of companies to do this. I'm glad that GSK were pressured into the action of releasing their data for future clinical trials. I think that in my role I am fairly limited in my ability to combat these instances but am of the belief this is more of a problem in the states than it is in the UK. I would, however, encourage critical analysis of any study/paper, the adherence of ethical procedures through relevant committees, editorial vigilance from journal publishers and the use of Subject to Access and Freedom of Information Requests.

(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Can the Right Honourable Gentleman (or lady, don't want to misgender) affirm how he plans to help resolve the reliance on foreign workers that the NHS has?
    I thank my right honourable Cabbage for his question.

I think first and foremost we should be encouraging young people to pursue careers in healthcare through the maintenance of the NHS Bursary. I have laid out my reasons for retaining this in my SOI. We should also be looking to raise working conditions within the NHS through fair pay, greater autonomy in relevant roles, greater benefits for long service and outcome measures to demonstrate the change that staff can have on a patient's life. In no way should we discourage foreign nationals from applying for jobs in the NHS. Skilled workers are a valuable asset whether they are British, European or from further abroad. I'm sure my right honourable friends the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for the Home Department will agree with me when I say that we should utilise the skills of individuals who wish to work in the NHS, providing healthcare for the entire UK, so long as they abide by the core value base of the health service and the wider society.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    Mr Speaker,

Currently, there are a lot of people, I think across the NHS, who say that they need more money. Whilst this is certainly a good point - you can't operate without the cash - just chucking money at the NHS won't solve the problem. May I ask the Rt Hon Gentleman what he thinks are the key areas where funding should be targeted, and what it specifically should be used for?
    I think my SOI presents a real change in direction from previous SOIs in actually specifying projects that money will be directed towards. Key areas for the future in the NHS include increased community mental health support through different therapeutic activities (recreational activity centres), greater promotion of independence after hospital admissions or short term injuries (increase in the number of ILCs), and a future statement of intent which will focus on greater control of palliative care to improve standards across the board, potentially through the reduction of contracts dished out to private care agencies which have doubled since 2009. I think the Prescription Limitation Bill would also increase awareness of decisions that individuals can make to lessen the strain on the NHS. I have mentioned it in this thread previously, but the roll out of Rapid Response Falls Teams would also assist in combating the increasing number of ambulance call outs that end in assisting an older person off the floor and potentially relying on hospital admission to assess for injuries. This would cut both A&E waiting times and save money for the ambulance service. As a country, we should be more aware of the role of Sensory Integration in the treatment of Autism and/or Medium and Severe Learning Disabilities. Encouraging the uptake of SI postgraduate training through bursaries/grants would expand the role of LD teams and CAMHS to assisting young people who struggle with self-regulation of actions that may lead to isolation or the exhibition of behaviours of concern.

Saracen's Fez - My thanks for reopening the thread, Mr Speaker, I'd be more than happy to tackle any smaller follow up questions in the AtG thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.