Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will learning AS maths help with my GCSE maths? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of trying to teach myself some AS maths but do you think that would be helpful with my GCSE maths or would I just be a complete waste of time and I'd just be better off practicing just what's required at gcse?

(FYI I'm taking Maths and FM next year)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwrdbby)
    I was thinking of trying to teach myself some AS maths but do you think that would be helpful with my GCSE maths or would I just be a complete waste of time and I'd just be better off practicing just what's required at gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Learn AS Maths only IF you're finding GCSE Maths too easy and unchallenging. If you start it without understanding the contents you're currently learning at GCSE, it'll just make you more confused.

Don't rush it and try doing a collection of hard GCSE questions, and get an A*.

ReputationRep:
    If GCSE maths is too easy for you, then yes

ReputationRep:
    id say yes depending on the topics. a bit of a level maths is being moved down to gcse bc of the reformed exams. my set at school (top) has finished learning the set spec i think and everytime we have to learn something new it's from a level. since you seem pretty capable id revise what you def have to know first and when ur confident move on to a level

ReputationRep:
    I'd say C1 along with basic C2 trig is A/A* stuff from GCSE. Then again I found some GCSE stuff harder like all that cylinder and cone volume stuff which is back to haunt me in A2.

ReputationRep:
    If you have EVERYTHING perfected at GCSE, then there's no harm in having a look at Core maths. Core is basically an extension of GCSE.

But as said above, if you try and learn it before you're ready then you'll get confused.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Waste of time. Focus on getting 100% first

ReputationRep:
    Not worth it - A-Level Maths is a big step up from GCSE maths, apart from Core 1, which is essentially, an extension of GCSE Further Maths (at least it has been for me.) However, for GCSE, to get the A*, all you need is GCSE content so I'd say you're better simply focusing on that - why learn beyond that if it could harm your knowledge for GCSE. However, in the Summer, it might be useful to start looking at ALevel content and prepare you well for the start of the course, it's not completely necessary though. Good luck on your GCSE's!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.