The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for answers! I was also thinking of coming to the clinic where I will be based to have a look around and to see how the place is operating. What I fear the most, probably is if people won't have patience to teach me and then they will just drop me into the floating vet position after 3 months :O Or am I fantasizing too much? :biggrin:
Since I have graduated outside the UK, how ready you guys come from uni? Straight to the surgery theatre to perform neutering, tumor excision on your own?
Original post by Vaasa
Thanks for answers! I was also thinking of coming to the clinic where I will be based to have a look around and to see how the place is operating. What I fear the most, probably is if people won't have patience to teach me and then they will just drop me into the floating vet position after 3 months :O Or am I fantasizing too much? :biggrin:
Since I have graduated outside the UK, how ready you guys come from uni? Straight to the surgery theatre to perform neutering, tumor excision on your own?

Different people have different levels of experience depending on where they have done EMS throughout their years so don't panic. If a practice doesn't want to spend the time and energy on new grads then they shouldn't take them on. Just make sure you have regular appraisals and set goals and discuss with the managers how to meet them. You'll be fine. :smile:
Hi! I'm a french student looking to apply for in 2019 for a course in 2020 in Vet med in the UK.
Basically, I've done a bit of interships (but in Singapore as I don't live in France) and from what I saw, the overall working atmosphere with coworkers was nice, however the hours did seem very long and tiring, and some owners, at some point, were very harsh with the vets (although not when it came to paying, I think Singapore is a fairly rich country so that's not what people are mostly concerned about). I don't know much about the pays, but it's becoming more and more apparent that vets don't earn as much as I though they would.
Overall, a lot of people to whom I've talked to were not recommending this path. Poor hours, poor salaries, stressful conditions...
Despite all of this, one thing remains: I have wanted to become a vet since I can remember. I'm probably blinded by my lack of knowledge, lack of objectiveness and disillusion, but at the end of the road, I know that I love animals more than is describable, and vet med just seems like the most logical and most fitting career for me. So yeah, some people might tell me I shouldn't, but at this point, I'm going to follow what my heart tells me (in the most cringe-worthy and naive way).
Consider long and hard.
Being a vet is not for many people.
Being a Vet in the 21st Century
epilogue-250x-pix-front-page-of-site.jpghttps://www.beingavet.org/whats-it-like-being-a-vet
Wow, are you really resurrecting two year old posts to spam and making multiple accounts to do it?
Original post by lwescott
Wow, are you really resurrecting two year old posts to spam and making multiple accounts to do it?

They've not had many positive comments from the qualified vets in the profession (who I think give unbiased opinions to those who ask about if they should be a vet) so presumably are really desperate to sell to unsuspecting vet wannabees :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending