Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I learn D2 myself to count towards Further Maths? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. I really want to drop Physics ASAP, but it's possible I will be stuck with it until after I complete my AS in it. I plan to do Computer Science or a Mathematics course that is light on stats but heavier on decision/discrete, if one exists, at uni. A course I especially like the look of is Warwick's Discrete Mathematics, shame it's not more widespread.

Anyway, to the content of the question - should I start learning D2 now, to complete in June 2017? I am doing D1 in normal Maths, so I'm not even sure if I can put forward D2 into Further Maths because they'd be across two different A Levels, but my M1 and M2 modules will do that when I do them in 2018 so I assume there's no problem. I feel like I should do D2 this year, because I can't really talk about it in my Personal Statement if I haven't done it.

The thing is; D2 is a ****ing dense and thick module, and looking through the chapters, it seems like I would have to spend a considerable amount of time learning it. I know from mocks that I will absolutely ace C1, C2, D1 and S1, and FP1 and S2 I doubt I'll have trouble brushing up above my current level, esp. that S2 to count towards my A* in FurMat. People who have done D2 - is it as time consuming to learn and practice as I fear? And perhaps more importantly - does taking a lone extra module actually count for anything in Personal Statements/the uni application process? Will, say, Warwick or St Andrews really care if I fit an extra Decision module in, even if I'm applying for a CompSci/Discrete Maths course? I am already doing 4 A2 modules for FurMat, which makes my chances of getting an A* high, as I like S2, I like the look of M2, and FP2 can't be that awful. The only way I see learning D2 this year to be of utmost help and priority is if I negotiated a deal with my director of sixth form and maths teachers that I could just not do S3 next year and spend that lesson time revising C3 and C4 or other A2 modules, because I assume S3 is harder than D2.

Additionally, I am self-learning the OCR CompSci AS (H046), which I know is not exactly the pure theory and programming you get in uni but hey, it's extra-curricular and I have a deep appreciation for and proficiency in the subject from GCSE. This makes me feel that maybe D2 isn't worth cramming in 6 months, instead leaving it to 2018, but I wonder if that makes it worth doing at all.

ReputationRep:
    I do those exact A Levels and I'm currently at A2!

I did D2 last year and tbh I found it one of the easier modules, though it may differ between exam boards (I'm on AQA). I didn't do any extra work for it other than every single past paper...typically, the same type of questions appear every year so as long as you fully understand each method and do a ton of practise papers, you should be fine! Though if you make a small arithmetic error, it usually carries through and can take away a bunch of marks - you just need to be extra careful. I remember doing a mock paper a couple of nights before; I got about 70 UMS and started panicking so much, though in the actual exam I got 100 UMS (somehow lol). On the other hand, there's a guy in my class who's very very good at maths but couldn't really get to grips with D2 as it's quite fiddly and long winded. He got an A in FP1, C1, C2 and M2 but a D in D2. It really varies. I don't think doing the extra module will be hugely beneficial, though it's a nice thing to talk about.

Have you spoken to your teachers about this? I think now would be the year to do it because next year will be extremely busy - I know I definitely have no time to do this with these subjects! 6 months is pushing it though, especially since you're self teaching the module, so I think discussing it with your teacher would be the best option. Perhaps just getting to grips with the Computing module will be better as it's more relevant to the course - and I'm sure you can find enough to talk about with that!

I hope I helped somehow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren-x-)
    I do those exact A Levels and I'm currently at A2!

I did D2 last year and tbh I found it one of the easier modules, though it may differ between exam boards (I'm on AQA). I didn't do any extra work for it other than every single past paper...typically, the same type of questions appear every year so as long as you fully understand each method and do a ton of practise papers, you should be fine! Though if you make a small arithmetic error, it usually carries through and can take away a bunch of marks - you just need to be extra careful. I remember doing a mock paper a couple of nights before; I got about 70 UMS and started panicking so much, though in the actual exam I got 100 UMS (somehow lol). On the other hand, there's a guy in my class who's very very good at maths but couldn't really get to grips with D2 as it's quite fiddly and long winded. He got an A in FP1, C1, C2 and M2 but a D in D2. It really varies. I don't think doing the extra module will be hugely beneficial, though it's a nice thing to talk about.

Have you spoken to your teachers about this? I think now would be the year to do it because next year will be extremely busy - I know I definitely have no time to do this with these subjects! 6 months is pushing it though, especially since you're self teaching the module, so I think discussing it with your teacher would be the best option. Perhaps just getting to grips with the Computing module will be better as it's more relevant to the course - and I'm sure you can find enough to talk about with that!

I hope I helped somehow!
    That does indeed help quite a bit, thanks. I have of course started speaking to my teachers about this, and so far my main maths teacher has been supportive of the move if I do well in the upcoming mocks I have - his reasoning is that if I am getting great grades on most of my modules, I can dedicate a bit more time to D2. However, I appreciate what you are saying with regards to time, which is why I may consider doing it next year to count towards maximising my chance of an A* in further maths, if I take it instead of S3.

How are you finding A2 Physics? My problem with it is that I find it pretty difficult to get to the same level in physics as I am in Maths / FurMat in the same amount of time. I don't really enjoy it either, as I was forced to take it when Computer Science became no longer available after I put it down as a choice, due to a staff member leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plklupu)
    That does indeed help quite a bit, thanks. I have of course started speaking to my teachers about this, and so far my main maths teacher has been supportive of the move if I do well in the upcoming mocks I have - his reasoning is that if I am getting great grades on most of my modules, I can dedicate a bit more time to D2. However, I appreciate what you are saying with regards to time, which is why I may consider doing it next year to count towards maximising my chance of an A* in further maths, if I take it instead of S3.

How are you finding A2 Physics? My problem with it is that I find it pretty difficult to get to the same level in physics as I am in Maths / FurMat in the same amount of time. I don't really enjoy it either, as I was forced to take it when Computer Science became no longer available after I put it down as a choice, due to a staff member leaving.
    No problem! If you're capable then there's no harm in doing it. If you do go for it though, you could also hold back on the computing closer to the exam period, as any extra revision time would obviously help a great deal. You can then catch up in the summer

My school is pretty awful for physics; there are only 3 of us doing it, so it feels as though we just get pushed aside all the time as the 1 physics teacher in the school ends up helping the year 11s and 12s. I'm defo doing far better in maths/fm than in physics - I kind of regret not being as proactive last year as missing little bits of understanding does build up over time. I quite struggle with it, I do a lot of past paper work/revising definitions/flashcards but I just can't seem to make much of it sink in. The up side is that grade boundaries are typically much lower in physics than in maths, so although you could be getting 90% in maths but 70% in physics, they could both be an A at AS. Not sure if the point I'm making makes sense haha but basically you can end up feeling like you know nothing in physics when you're actually doing okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren-x-)
    No problem! If you're capable then there's no harm in doing it. If you do go for it though, you could also hold back on the computing closer to the exam period, as any extra revision time would obviously help a great deal. You can then catch up in the summer

My school is pretty awful for physics; there are only 3 of us doing it, so it feels as though we just get pushed aside all the time as the 1 physics teacher in the school ends up helping the year 11s and 12s. I'm defo doing far better in maths/fm than in physics - I kind of regret not being as proactive last year as missing little bits of understanding does build up over time. I quite struggle with it, I do a lot of past paper work/revising definitions/flashcards but I just can't seem to make much of it sink in. The up side is that grade boundaries are typically much lower in physics than in maths, so although you could be getting 90% in maths but 70% in physics, they could both be an A at AS. Not sure if the point I'm making makes sense haha but basically you can end up feeling like you know nothing in physics when you're actually doing okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I know that feeling of not quite getting things in physics, I can still barely wrap my head around some bits of kinematics but I fly through most of FP1 and yeah, I was quite surprised when I looked at the AS physics boundaries and saw the A was super low. Thanks a lot for your responses - you've given me a lot to think about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plklupu)
    Yeah, I know that feeling of not quite getting things in physics, I can still barely wrap my head around some bits of kinematics but I fly through most of FP1 and yeah, I was quite surprised when I looked at the AS physics boundaries and saw the A was super low. Thanks a lot for your responses - you've given me a lot to think about
    Anytime! If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.