Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Cure for Autism Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Does anyone remember this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6744291.html

It reminds me a lot of those "medicines" used to "cure" gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Hi all,

Does anyone remember this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6744291.html

It reminds me a lot of those "medicines" used to "cure" gay.
    The only 'cure' for autism is understanding, awareness and acceptance.

The people who make these should try their own medicine, literally.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, but it makes me incredibly sad to see these medicinal 'cures', especially being an Aspie myself. I definitely feel that autism and related disorders generally aren't understood well enough, and more people should also start to see the positive aspects of it, instead of focusing on the negative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qinge)
    The only 'cure' for autism is understanding, awareness and acceptance.

The people who make these should try their own medicine, literally.
    Yeah they should. I'm so so happy that my parents never got tricked into giving me this disgusting stuff...

(Original post by Leviathan1741)
    No, but it makes me incredibly sad to see these medicinal 'cures', especially being an Aspie myself. I definitely feel that autism and related disorders generally aren't understood well enough, and more people should also start to see the positive aspects of it, instead of focusing on the negative
    Yeah it's awful, it's literally bleach ><
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    That's awful.
    Yeah, I can't believe they tricked desperate parents into giving their children bleach
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Yeah, I can't believe they tricked desperate parents into giving their children bleach
    That's really terrible. I didn't understand how they can think that way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That makes me so angry as a (highly likely)* aspie myself that makes me so upset. People need to be educated and learn to accept peoples differences. Why the f*ck would you give someone bleach, is autism really that bad? No, it's not.

*been semi-diagnosed by health professionals and at least thought to exhibit many symptoms of autism if not actually autistic but my parents were so against their idea of their socially isolated child being autistic () they ceased my contact with the professional for further exploration/clarification. Perfect example of people putting their ignorances and lack of knowledge ahead of their child's well beings (my parents are wonderful people otherwise but this messed with me). As if it's something to be ashamed of but it isn't!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remember this, no surprise it originated from a spiritual healing church, bunch of f***ing weirdos. Sadly I don't think there will ever be a "cure" for autistic spectrum disorders, it's more about management of the condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    x
    You really really should get yourself diagnosed professionally for your Asperger's, even if you have to do it in secret. It's so important to get a diagnosis because it will help you get the treatment you deserve, you may need it in the future.. I got diagnosed professionally with Asperger's when I was 6 years old and I've been given lots of help throughout my entire life (counselling, risperidone, prozac, emotional-tuition, etc).

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Yeah I remember this, no surprise it originated from a spiritual healing church, bunch of f***ing weirdos. Sadly I don't think there will ever be a "cure" for autistic spectrum disorders, it's more about management of the condition.
    Yeah it's scary that they can make stuff like that and send it out and people will actually get tricked into using it.. the power of religion, I suppose. Yeah it's all about management
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Ugh that again.

Why on earth would you give your child something you'd clean your house with? Seriously?

In general, we have no idea what a cure will do. I take various treatments for other conditions I have. In that time, I've:
    - had to take other medication because of the side effects
    - been left with mild hearing loss in one ear which is now permanent
    - had to stop taking the treatment because one of the side effects (which I wasn't warned about) included depression

I've also had a pretty frightening side effect which led to me having to beg for a GP appointment. This particular side effect is actually pretty dangerous. (in short, I couldn't stop drinking)

I really can't understand why you'd want to cure something like this. I can understand it if you wanted to cure some of the problems, like where some people don't talk or the behaviour difficulties. It's a complex medical condition and many of us don't want a cure because we have no idea what it'll do to us. All we really want is understanding and for some people to stop assuming and to stop being so judgemental.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.