Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dumb people who think they're really smart Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is more of a rant than a question 😂😂

I always find it annoying when I come across (this sounds sexist, but mainly boys) someone who tries too hard to act like they're some genius and that they're smarter than you when in reality none of what they say actually makes any sense.

Like there's a boy in my class (he's in bottom set for every subject) and with everyone he talks to, he'll try to ramble on and on about random theoretical physics or quantum mechanics or some complex maths problems and acts like he knows it all and is some awesome genius but in reality can barely scrape a D in maths?

I get some of these people do actually know what they're talking about but most just try and show off and it's actually pretty obvious.

It's particularly annoying when they try and act like they're smarter than you and they'll try and talk about some IQ test they took online and scored like 173 or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwrdbby)
    they'll try and talk about some IQ test they took online and scored like 173 or something.
    Yeah, a lot of people at my sixth form used to be like that. I wanted to smash their head against a rock >:C

ReputationRep:
    Nobody likes a ponce.

ReputationRep:
    It's called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

You may also have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hirsty97)
    it's called the dunning-kruger effect.

You may also have it.
    ahaha omg op git rekt

ReputationRep:
    Haha. I know a few of these, I think I'm the opposite like I'll get good grades but when people talk to me I come across as dumb and my mind is just bulding up with knowledge on the subject but I don't voice it unless I'm in some sort of heated debated. There are people who do what you said or people who take subjects like economics and will talk about banks and economic theory but when you start talking about today's markets, today's global issues, economic theory in practice (which is hugely different to just the theory) they don't have a clue. I find most people have a motivation for money which i guess i understand because we all need a good future but that shouldn't be why you study. I guess people just have a way about them, I personally don't sit there judging people in my head tho. Just let it go, he might be genuinely interested in just that field
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They do it in order to cope mentally with their realisation that they are not as smart as their peers. It is a tactic used to maintain their self-esteem as intelligence is valued a lot in our world. Of course those around them may find it annoying, but you cannot blame the dumb ones who pretend they are smart for trying not to lose their self-confidence due to their lack of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    ahaha omg op git rekt
    Hahahahahahhaaha

ReputationRep:
    You think your grades at school have much to do with actual intelligence?

I got D's at A level, yet have gone on to get a first in physics, a masters, and a GRE that places me in the top couple of percent of test takers, so I guess I can't be that stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)

I got D's at A level, yet have gone on to get a first in physics, a masters, and a GRE that places me in the top couple of percent of test takers, so I guess I can't be that stupid.
    I would count your first at uni part of what I mean as 'grades'. I just mean any sort of academic achievement. You still would have had to take exams and do well in them to achieve that first

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)

Calm down..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The more you know, the less you realise you know.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is more of a rant than a question 😂😂

I always find it annoying when I come across (this sounds sexist, but mainly boys) someone who tries too hard to act like they're some genius and that they're smarter than you when in reality none of what they say actually makes any sense.

Like there's a boy in my class (he's in bottom set for every subject) and with everyone he talks to, he'll try to ramble on and on about random theoretical physics or quantum mechanics or some complex maths problems and acts like he knows it all and is some awesome genius but in reality can barely scrape a D in maths?

I get some of these people do actually know what they're talking about but most just try and show off and it's actually pretty obvious.

It's particularly annoying when they try and act like they're smarter than you and they'll try and talk about some IQ test they took online and scored like 173 or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you being unable to understand others makes them stupid

GG Logic

ReputationRep:
    The main question I have is: is the theoretical physics he is talking about correct? If he is correct then he obviously has an interesting in that area and must be a little bright, although maybe not academically. I think you're just a judgemental penis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravence)
    So you being unable to understand others makes them stupid

GG Logic
    I'm only saying that I'm annoyed at those who try and act like they're so much better than you, and im not saying that they're dumb because I can't understand them, it's because they make no sense and try and act like others are stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you're annoyed by their arrogance? It is an unfortunate trait to have, though most people grow out of it (Thank God) just that, being arrogant is the only way teens see (with our stupid teen brains), in which we can express how 'smart' we are, we crave gratification from others. Unfortunately, arrogance is the only way to do it,

ReputationRep:
    I would count your first at uni part of what I mean as 'grades'. I just mean any sort of academic achievement. You still would have had to take exams and do well in them to achieve that first

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I say "school" I mean what most people would by school, i.e. anything before "higher education"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Calm down..
    I didn't realise I wasn't calm, but thanks for your concern.

ReputationRep:
    They might just have the last laugh on you, folks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.