Turn on thread page Beta

Hey, I got a letter saying I was in the top 5 for AQA GCSE German. Do all the letters say top 5, or can I read into that that I was 5th? If I was 3rd would it say "top 3"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian R)
    Hey, I got a letter saying I was in the top 5 for AQA GCSE German. Do all the letters say top 5, or can I read into that that I was 5th? If I was 3rd would it say "top 3"?
    they all say top 5

ReputationRep:
    I got one in English Literature. It says:

I am very pleased to tell you that you scored one of the top five marks in English Literature out of 379017 candidates who sat the examination this summer.

May I congratulate you on such an outstanding achievment and wish you every success with your future studies. Beverley Grammar School has been informed of your achievment.

How very kind of them - did yours say exactly the same except for the subject? Very well done by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian R)
    I think the reason why they always just say top-five is that in the vast majority of cases, the top-five would only have dropped 1 or 2 marks off of top marks, thus making it very difficult (if not impossible in most cases) to distuinguish who got the better grade. There's simply not enough resolution with the current UMS system (not that they should change it mind).

I suppose in some cases, it may be possible to resolve further than the top-five, but I assume the exam boards have agreed to limit it to the top-five as a general thing, I suppose just for continuity.

ReputationRep:
    i have to wonder about the top five thing though, cos when i did my gcse's 2 people got a letter for english lit and another person i knew from hte local grammar. It seems a bit odd that there were 3 of them in such close proximity. Also the ones that got the letter wern't the best ones at school at that time.

I'm not trying to sound harsh,( i'm just overly cynical) and i hope you are so proud of your excellent achievement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    i have to wonder about the top five thing though, cos when i did my gcse's 2 people got a letter for english lit and another person i knew from hte local grammar. It seems a bit odd that there were 3 of them in such close proximity. Also the ones that got the letter wern't the best ones at school at that time.

I'm not trying to sound harsh,( i'm just overly cynical) and i hope you are so proud of your excellent achievement
    yeah i wondered that as well- 2 of my friends got top 5 chemistry last year, one also got top 5 maths and history. i reckon in maths some people will get 100%- do they send them all letters saying they're top 5 even if there's like 20 people?

it's still really great tho-well done ian!

ReputationRep:
    Does being in the top 5 mean you could have achieved either, for example:

99/100; 98/100; 97/100; 96/100; 95/100?

Thus implying thousands of students will have received the letters?

This has to be true because there has to be more than one student who received full marks!

ReputationRep:
    You all performed exceptionally though, and should be proud of your achievements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    You all performed exceptionally though, and should be proud of your achievements
    The top 5 students will almost certainly have achieved 100% scores or very high UMS marks (i.e. 590+/600)

(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Does being in the top 5 mean you could have achieved either, for example:

99/100; 98/100; 97/100; 96/100; 95/100?

Thus implying thousands of students will have received the letters?

This has to be true because there has to be more than one student who received full marks!
    I'm sure that top 5 means top five marks ie 95-100%, rather than five students with the highest marks in the country, firstly because there are too many people getting them (five of us in my school last year, and quite a number on this forum), and secondly , in maths, if not other subjects, there are sure to be more than five people in England who actually got 100% so it wouldnt be top five then but top 20 or 50 or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Could it possibly mean Top five in the school?

(Original post by Kelvin)
    Could it possibly mean Top five in the school?
    i think its to do with the whole country,i think it shud say on the letter actually. Cuz my friend sat a statistics exam year early and he actually got his results yesterday with a letter and it said that he was one of the top 5 in the country........

ReputationRep:
    DO you get them for A levels too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmarsupial)
    DO you get them for A levels too?
    Yes, I got one for for A-level Computing, and it says top five in the country, not the school. They'd have to send out a lot of letters if they were to do top five in the school for every subject!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.