The Student Room Group

Is this actually true?

I'm not in Oxbridge but I was told that some of you guys don't even get Sundays off you have lectures 7 days a week particularly people doing IT related subjects is this true or was I lied to?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonathanemptage
I'm not in Oxbridge but I was told that some of you guys don't even get Sundays off you have lectures 7 days a week particularly people doing IT related subjects is this true or was i led to?

I know some Cambridge Computer Scientists who had lectures Monday-Saturday. I think that's for First Years, but I haven't heard of anyone having lectures on Sunday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really no.

I did have Sunday tutorials (one of our tutors was a busy surgeon), but literally twice in the whole degree I think. About the same number for Saturday. Never had anything else like lectures at the weekend.
Reply 3
I'm not in Oxbridge but I was told that some of you guys don't even get Sundays off you have lectures 7 days a week particularly people doing IT related subjects is this true or was I lied to?

No course has lectures on a Sunday.

Just a couple or so have them on Saturday. Eg NatSci at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yep, no lectures on Sundays but Natscis at Cambridge have saturday lectures, and I'm a medic at Cambridge and have had sunday supervisions fairly often
Well you need to be working on sunday so you dont really have any days off mate
You may not have lectures on a weekend unless you're a Cambridge natsci, but you will almost certainly be working over the weekend (if you are putting enough effort in). If you don't fancy that, Oxbridge may not be for you. It's all about making the most of your talent.
No-one has lectures seven days a week as routine.

It's also piffle that you need to study seven days a week in order to be doing enough. You'll work some weekends, but it certainly doesn't have to be all of them.

We only have lectures/ labs Monday-Saturday (and most subjects don't have Saturday lectures either, I'm not entirely sure about CompScis - they share Maths lectures with us NatScis on Saturdays in first year but I don't know about other lectures). Supervisions can be organised at any time - it's up to you to arrange a suitable time with the supervisor and other students in your group, sometimes they do end up being late in the evenings/ early mornings/ Sundays - but remember supervisors are people too so are just as keen not to be working at such times! So it's pretty rare :smile:

In terms of whether students have to study independantly on Sundays - it's definitely VERY common. I'd say most of us struggle to get everything done just during weekdays so some does inevitably spill over into the weekend, otherwise you'd end up having to work really late in the evenings and not get any kind of a break during the week. However, during the first couple of years of my degree I was on the uni yacht racing team (no, I'm not posh, they let anyone join...) and we had to go away to train/ race a few weekends a term - I did manage to get all the essential work done during the week in order to take the whole weekend of work, but it was pretty stressful, I didn't get any of the extended reading etc. done, and there's no way I could have done it every weekend. But yes, we can have the odd day entirely off studying if we want to :smile: Also, our terms are very short so we get more holidays, where there is much less work set and most people just have to do a bit of general revision etc. :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
We only have lectures/ labs Monday-Saturday (and most subjects don't have Saturday lectures either, I'm not entirely sure about CompScis - they share Maths lectures with us NatScis on Saturdays in first year but I don't know about other lectures). Supervisions can be organised at any time - it's up to you to arrange a suitable time with the supervisor and other students in your group, sometimes they do end up being late in the evenings/ early mornings/ Sundays - but remember supervisors are people too so are just as keen not to be working at such times! So it's pretty rare :smile:

In terms of whether students have to study independantly on Sundays - it's definitely VERY common. I'd say most of us struggle to get everything done just during weekdays so some does inevitably spill over into the weekend, otherwise you'd end up having to work really late in the evenings and not get any kind of a break during the week. However, during the first couple of years of my degree I was on the uni yacht racing team (no, I'm not posh, they let anyone join...) and we had to go away to train/ race a few weekends a term - I did manage to get all the essential work done during the week in order to take the whole weekend of work, but it was pretty stressful, I didn't get any of the extended reading etc. done, and there's no way I could have done it every weekend. But yes, we can have the odd day entirely off studying if we want to :smile: Also, our terms are very short so we get more holidays, where there is much less work set and most people just have to do a bit of general revision etc. :smile:

What's it like there?
hi, i do natsci - had lectures 9-11 today, then a supervision 1130-1230, then that's all the scheduled hours for the weekend... but i have to get some work done today and tomorrow otherwise i wont be able to cope. Compsci students have maths on saturday morning as compulsory, and depending on which modules they choose they might have another lecture on saturday (ie chemistry) but other than that there's no lectures on sunday for definite
Original post by streetdude28
What's it like there?

ummm, lots of work... How do you mean?
Week old halfpage thread in which the OP asked a straightforward question and received a definitive answer ("no"). Why is it top of the pops at "Today on TSR"?
Reply 13
Original post by cambio wechsel
Week old halfpage thread in which the OP asked a straightforward question and received a definitive answer ("no":wink:. Why is it top of the pops at "Today on TSR"?

You've always been such a smart cookie.
Original post by EC
You've always been such a smart cookie.

Oh but I feel that you're the smart one.
Reply 15
Original post by cambio wechsel
Oh but I feel that you're the smart one.

:flutter:

it's a standard politeness, but I confess as well that (with others) I took some convincing that you're a teenager posting in her second language. Note: I am now persuaded of that.
Whanne that i ystudied Natural Philosophy atte Cambridge we weren obliged to attend ye lectures everrie daye excepten Ye Lord's Daye.
Manne was welle jalous of ye faineant Artte Students who layen abed eche daye until some late hour thenne sayen "Lette us repair to ye Taverne to getten offe our Tittes on Abbot Ayle or somesuch. We canne downloaden an Essaye off ye TSR for five farthinges and ye Supervisor wille be nonne ye wysere"

:shakecane:
(edited 7 years ago)
it would be good to get an actual hourly figure of how many hours per week a student at Oxbridge works for say maths.

I don't drink or very rarely because I am on a specific diet for medical reasons which means alcohol is really bad for me I can get away with it occasionally like maybe on a wedding a pity meal when I am depressed or etc but its not something I would be doing much at all.

So my concern isn't working 7 days a week I don't care if I have a supervision on sunday etc my concern is the amount of hours I would need to put in each week.

I think I can go up to 60 hours but after that might have an issue.

Would I be okay at Oxbridge maths with only 60 hours a week?

If your going to tell me Oxbridge students work 40 hours a week then this is not a story this is what I would expect any university to be like.

up to 60 I can manage I mean that is just an extra hour in the morning before breakfast then an extra hour in evenings.

add in 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening for weekends and you practically have the weekend off. perfectly doable.

Once we go beyond 60 hours though I wear down I have tried this and tested myself?

so can you survive at Oxbridge maths with only 60 hours a week? I know different students vary but was talking for the average student.

if its more or less then this how much more or less?
Original post by Luke7456
it would be good to get an actual hourly figure of how many hours per week a student at Oxbridge works for say maths.

Ok - see page 15 of this document.

http://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/44-Oxford-and-Cambridge-full.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest