Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2017 Further Maths New Spec Discussion Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was thinking about the new spec for Further Maths (Edexcel for me) and was wondering about a few things.

First, how hard do you think doing all FP1-4 alone will be? You can now just do pure maths in this course and this is something I think I'd like to do, but don't know how hard it will be. My maths teacher said FP4 would be getting into the same stuff as second year uni maths. Is this true?

Would it be better to not do FP1-4 and just do 2 or 3 FPs with stats or mechanics? I don't really have an appeal for any D, S or M topics like I do for FP though. I am thinking of doing physics, FM and economics, but am only really thinking of physics as it is better to do 4 A-levels with FM than 3 and physics ties in with maths a bit. I crossed off all subjects but business and physics as a fourth but I don't really want to do business and economics. Have any of you done only 3 A2s before with FM and how was it?

Also, what do you think about the new normal maths spec? This is 2/3 pure maths and 1/3 split between mechanics and stats I think - no options.

I am really looking forward to doing FM so hopefully it will be fun and sorry for loads of questions!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD_1608)
    Hi, I was thinking about the new spec for Further Maths (Edexcel for me) and was wondering about a few things.

First, how hard do you think doing all FP1-4 alone will be? You can now just do pure maths in this course and this is something I think I'd like to do, but don't know how hard it will be. My maths teacher said FP4 would be getting into the same stuff as second year uni maths. Is this true?

Would it be better to not do FP1-4 and just do 2 or 3 FPs with stats or mechanics? I don't really have an appeal for any D, S or M topics like I do for FP though. I am thinking of doing physics, FM and economics, but am only really thinking of physics as it is better to do 4 A-levels with FM than 3 and physics ties in with maths a bit. I crossed off all subjects but business and physics as a fourth but I don't really want to do business and economics. Have any of you done only 3 A2s before with FM and how was it?

Also, what do you think about the new normal maths spec? This is 2/3 pure maths and 1/3 split between mechanics and stats I think - no options.

I am really looking forward to doing FM so hopefully it will be fun and sorry for loads of questions!
    A link to the draft specification might be useful:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf

Please note that this draft specification has not been approved by Ofqual and changes may need to be made so you are being a little premature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD_1608)
    No, it's not really true. The thing is, at university, courses tend to go a *lot* deeper; e.g. a term long university course on groups might have 4-5 times as much material as you have in the FP4 groups content. You'll also be covering material (e.g. Analysis) that isn't in FM in any significant way.

So a university might not cover some topics in FP4 in the first year, but that's purely because there's not enough time to get to it (and they may not consider the topic that important in a "you need to know this before we can teach you something else"). So for example, Cambridge didn't teach number theory until
    the 3rd year when I was there, but they absolutely could have put it in the first year if they'd wanted. (It's also worth noting that (a) every Number Theory result listed in that FP4 spec would have been covered "as asides" during the 1st year course on group theory, and (b) when it was recapped in Y3, it would have been around a lecture's worth of material (or just exercises)).

Would it be better to not do FP1-4 and just do 2 or 3 FPs with stats or mechanics? I don't really have an appeal for any D, S or M topics like I do for FP though. I am thinking of doing physics, FM and economics, but am only really thinking of physics as it is better to do 4 A-levels with FM than 3 and physics ties in with maths a bit.
    Do you have to decide straight away? Fp3 should give you an idea in your mind about whether you want to just do pure or branch out.

Looking at the FM mechanics, I'm not sure how much that will gain you in Physics, especially these days when the math content of Physics has been so watered down.

I agree that M+FM+"other" as 3-Alevels is a bit weak.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.