i was given a police caution Watch

ReputationRep:
    fs

ReputationRep:
    Did you do it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanhayden)
    hello everyone, im in need of some serious help. i am 19 years of age and yesterday i was charged with theft by employee and was later on given a simple caution. im currently on suspension until further notice whilst investigations are carried out at my work place. i have a few questions. i am worried that after my caution was given, the company can then decide to go with prosecution, and that would completely ruin my life. also, i was doing research and apparently after the simple caution is given, it is automatically 'spent' even though the officer told me after 5 years. i need some help in regards to jobs also, if anyone has any kind of advice or knowledge towards this matter, please reply. thank you
    I really wish the Police would be a bit more careful about what they tell people before they accept a caution. If you apply for a job that requires an Enhanced DBS check (such as teaching) then your caution will appear (even if this happens in 25 years' time).

ReputationRep:
    yes i did, im not proud if it. something i did a few months ago came back to haunt me. i can only move on from now
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Did you do it?

ReputationRep:
    ill do a little more research in regards to the DBS checks. would you, by any chance know if this affects me getting into university / apprenticeships? i did plan on going for an apprenticeship next year, but i might have thrown that opportunity down the drain.
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I really wish the Police would be a bit more careful about what they tell people before they accept a caution. If you apply for a job that requires an Enhanced DBS check (such as teaching) then your caution will appear (even if this happens in 25 years' time).

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone, im in need of some serious help. i am 19 years of age and yesterday i was charged with theft by employee and was later on given a simple caution. im currently on suspension until further notice whilst investigations are carried out at my work place. i have a few questions. i am worried that after my caution was given, the company can then decide to go with prosecution, and that would completely ruin my life. also, i was doing research and apparently after the simple caution is given, it is automatically 'spent' even though the officer told me after 5 years. i need some help in regards to jobs also, if anyone has any kind of advice or knowledge towards this matter, please reply. thank you
    You should be wary of social media, for example, I hope that isn't your real name you are using as your TSR name. Everything sticks around for ever on the web.

Given that you've said you did it here, maybe your best course is to apologise profusely to your employer (is it the current employer where you did it, or a previous one that just got found out now?), repay anything stolen at once and ask that they take no action if they possibly can. Can't think of much else to recommend.

ReputationRep:
    yes i did, im not proud if it. something i did a few months ago came back to haunt me. i can only move on from now
    If you did it, why are you acting so surprised that there are consequences to your actions?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    ill do a little more research in regards to the DBS checks. would you, by any chance know if this affects me getting into university / apprenticeships? i did plan on going for an apprenticeship next year, but i might have thrown that opportunity down the drain.
    It's very unlikely to affect you for these pathways.

ReputationRep:
    i realise what i have done is wrong, and with the most respect, i'm not looking for a lecture, please. i've dealt with that enough last night through to this morning.
    If you did it, why are you acting so surprised that there are consequences to your actions?

ReputationRep:
    thank you for you're response, i will indeed hand in a written letter to my employer, and i have agreed to pay back everything.. all i can hope for now is for them not to take this any further
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    You should be wary of social media, for example, I hope that isn't your real name you are using as your TSR name. Everything sticks around for ever on the web.

Given that you've said you did it here, maybe your best course is to apologise profusely to your employer (is it the current employer where you did it, or a previous one that just got found out now?), repay anything stolen at once and ask that they take no action if they possibly can. Can't think of much else to recommend.

ReputationRep:
    i hope so, i intend to study computer science. thank you for you're response
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It's very unlikely to affect you for these pathways.

ReputationRep:
    He has expressed no sense of surprise. You are not helping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    He has expressed no sense of surprise. You are not helping.
    Sorry, but i'm not exactly going to be sympathetic to somebody who stole from his place of work.

ReputationRep:
    im not here to gather sympathy, im trying to seek help in regards to what i can do from here
    Sorry, but i'm not exactly going to be sympathetic to somebody who stole from his place of work.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for you're response, i will indeed hand in a written letter to my employer, and i have agreed to pay back everything.. all i can hope for now is for them not to take this any further
    This is causing you needless anxiety. Resist guessing and wondering "what if...". Do the best you can do. Write them a letter, pay them back, talk to them in person, make sure they know you know that what you did was wrong and would never repeat it again. Most people aren't robots, they'll understand.

Do you work for a small business or large corporation?

ReputationRep:
    BTW, r u sure the company can charge you with anything after you've received a caution?

ReputationRep:
    thats what im not sure about, ive been suspended until further notice. what i dont get is, can they prosecute me after iv'e received a caution? im handing in a resignation letter, i might have a job already
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    BTW, r u sure the company can charge you with anything after you've received a caution?

ReputationRep:
    thats what im not sure about, ive been suspended until further notice. what i dont get is, can they prosecute me after iv'e received a caution? im handing in a resignation letter, i might have a job already
    Dude, chill the **** out. I don't think you can be charged with anything after you've been cautioned. That's the point of the caution, to avoid being charged and have your life ruined.

ReputationRep:
    i know lol. everything is just going over my head. thats what i was thinking. hopefully, the police have done their part
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Dude, chill the **** out. I don't think you can be charged with anything after you've been cautioned. That's the point of the caution, to avoid being charged and have your life ruined.

ReputationRep:
    i know lol. everything is just going over my head. thats what i was thinking. hopefully, the police have done their part
    Talk to a lawyer. They'll be able to help you and get your head straight about this. We may just be talking ****, none of us (I assume) know the law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.