Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm currently doing my As level and would love some advice -
    I plan on applying for medicine and I want to take a gap year once school is over, but I'm wondering how that'll affect my university admissions.
    Let me clarify:
    I mean, do universities have any issues with taking gap years as such? Or is it better to go straight from school to college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahliju)
    Hey guys,
    I plan on applying for medicine and I want to take a gap year once school is over, but I'm wondering how that'll affect my university admissions.
    Let me clarify:
    I mean, do universities have any issues with taking gap years as such? Or is it better to go straight from school to college?
    Universities really don't care! If anything, you can get more experience and work to earn money. Everyone who I know that has taken a gap year hasn't regretted it, and it gave them some time between school and uni to make up their mind about going.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Let me clarify:
    I Agree with ax12, universities have no problem with gap years, you can defer for a year whilst filling out UCAS (if you haven't done that it's super easy to email your university asking to defer for a year) All universities really favour gap years for experience and gaining many skills. You won't regret it! have a lovely time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The above is true but make sure you show your keeping your maths/sci skills sharp. With science courses that can be an issue and universities like to see you addressing that.
    That being said, hell yeah take a gap year, but make sure you do something you enjoy and plan it. Living day to day is fun until you run out of money, or cant find a job, or have nowhere to live.
    So plan it well and you'll have an unforgettable experience
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Let me clarify:
    A gap year is a great idea, you can do so much with it - and particularly for Medicine it's a great opportunity to get some work experience in I know several friends who were unsuccessful the first time round for medicine then applied again during a gap year and got a place - plus their offers were unconditional since they'd already got their grades.

If you decide to take a gap year, make sure that in your university application you state your gap year plans, to reassure universities that you are actually doing something rather than watching TV all day... Ideas are: work experience, MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses - google it), part time job, full time job, volunteering (e.g. in a local care home), travelling, volunteering abroad, etc. Doing a mixture of things is great - get a job during the week then some regular volunteering at weekends, do a MOOC in the evenings, save up some money for travelling to have a break, etc

ReputationRep:
    Just use it constructively.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.