Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Croissanting my way to A*A*A Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Sunday 19/03/17

I think my motivation has gone away on vacation because I have been SO unproductive this past week . Time is not of the essence though, so I have tried to come up with a system to help me put in the amount of work I need to be doing.
    Sticking to a revision timetable hasn't worked out for me, since teachers are setting us so much homework that I can't stick to my allocated revision time slots and then I just get really stressed out.

So, I have made this:
    Name:  To do labels.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  502.5 KB
    Orange/red = Maths
    Purple = Psychology
    Blue = Physics

Each label represents a revision session (which includes time spent completing a task for a certain subjects, such as past paper questions, notes, flashcards etc.)
    After I complete each task, I'll put the label on the 'completed' side of the sheet.
    This sheet just shows the overall revision tasks I should be doing in a week. It might look like a lot, but there are 32 sessions and 7 days in a week, which turns out to be around 4 or 5 tasks each day, which is not too much at all.
    And because I happen to be a maths nerd, I'm going to calculate my 'productivity efficiency' at the end of each week to see how productive I have been. This week, my productivity is a very apalling 34.4 % ... :sigh: As you can see, there is a lot which I haven't done but should have.

Hopefully next week, it will be 95+% !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeCroissant)

Sunday 19/03/17

I think my motivation has gone away on vacation because I have been SO unproductive this past week . Time is not of the essence though, so I have tried to come up with a system to help me put in the amount of work I need to be doing.
    Sticking to a revision timetable hasn't worked out for me, since teachers are setting us so much homework that I can't stick to my allocated revision time slots and then I just get really stressed out.

So, I have made this:
    Orange/red = Maths
    Purple = Psychology
    Blue = Physics

Each label represents a revision session (which includes time spent completing a task for a certain subjects, such as past paper questions, notes, flashcards etc.)
    After I complete each task, I'll put the label on the 'completed' side of the sheet.
    This sheet just shows the overall revision tasks I should be doing in a week. It might look like a lot, but there are 32 sessions and 7 days in a week, which turns out to be around 4 or 5 tasks each day, which is not too much at all.
    And because I happen to be a maths nerd, I'm going to calculate my 'productivity efficiency' at the end of each week to see how productive I have been. This week, my productivity is a very apalling 34.4 % ... :sigh: As you can see, there is a lot which I haven't done but should have.

That's such a good idea:yy:. I think I might steal it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Thursday 06/04/17

Getting back on track!

I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I have been feeling incredibly demotivated and have been over-thinking myself into bad moods (whoops). My main problem is that I focus too much on the past and the future, and forget about the present.
    I really need to start being in the present more and I have to get my **** together if I want to get decent grades this year. I'm going to try and post here daily and list what I've done. My aim to do 4 or 5 things per day, as I mentioned in my last post.

So far today:

Maths- C4:We still haven't finished learning C4 at sixth form yet so I'm trying to self-teach the rest of it over Easter so that I can start doing past papers asap. I was hoping to learn all of the differentiation chapter today but it is much longer than I anticipated

Physics-Magnetic Fields:I have started making a mind map on this (the last paper 2 topic I need to make a mind map for), but felt like slamming my head into my desk after about an hour and a half- which is partly why I decided to make this post instead . Seriously, this topic is so BORING and I just can't get my head around it.

I will add to the list later on once I have done more. I'll be focusing on Psychology this evening, which should help me wind down after trying to revise the ugliest Physics topic.

ReputationRep:
    trust me i think we're in the same boat. aiming for AAA with Bio, Chem and Psychology A levels.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFissy)
    trust me i think we're in the same boat. aiming for AAA with Bio, Chem and Psychology A levels.
    Good luck with your exams! How is A-level Biology? I really wish I had chosen it instead of Physics...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your exams! How is A-level Biology? I really wish I had chosen it instead of Physics...
    It's A LOT of content and Interesting (except I hate plants)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Wednesday 12/04/17

Sorry I haven't posted for a while (again)!. I didn't do any work over the weekend because I had a sleepover with my friend.

Monday:
    - Psychology: Attachment- Schaffer's stages of attachment essay plan.
    - Psychology: Attachment- Animal studies of attachment essay plan.
    - Maths: C4- Differentiation tutorials (ExamSolutions). I managed to cover implicit differentiation and rate of change (I think that's what it's called?).
    - Physics: Magnetic Fields- I finished the mind map I started last week. The topic doesn't make any more sense to me though .
    - Physics: Particles- I started making a mind map on this but got bored half way through.
    - Psychology: Biopsychology- I started making an essay plan on plasticity of the brain but got bored half way through.

Tuesday: A much less productive day.
    -Psychology: Biopsychology- I finished the essay plan on plasticity of the brain.
    -Physics: Particles-I attempted to continue making the mind map but got bored (again) because the textbook just waffles on and on. I'll probably just use the revision guide next time.
    -Maths: M1-I did a past paper from January 2007. I still need to do the last question though because guess what... (hint- I got bored).

Wednesday: Today I realised that although what I am doing right now will help me for my exams, there are more important things I need to be doing due to teachers setting us homework and mock exams after Easter etc. Therefore, I made an Easter egg themed to-do list of everything that needs to be done before I go back to sixth form on Tuesday. The are 24 things that need to be done and 6 days left of the holiday (including today), so I am going to complete 4 things each day. I am quite annoyed because it means I'll have to put AS revision on hold for a while, but oh well.
    -Psychology:Forensics- Eysencks personality theory essay plan.
    -Psychology:Issues & Debates- Nature vs Nurture essay plan. This took ages to do because my textbook doesn't explain it very well so I had to find an example essay from the AQA website to base my own essay plan on.
    -Physics:Astrophysics- I made a mind map on the second half of this topic and OMG this is such a dense topic. So many words and so few numbers! It also took the whole afternoon to make which has annoyed me a little. I'll post a picture later once I have added colour to it.
    -Maths: C4-This still needs to be done but I'm going to watch the ExamSolutions tutorials on forming differential equations and the second half of the vectors chapter (which I didn't learn in class due to being ill).

Here is the mind map:
    Attachment 635574
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Thursday 13/04/17

Today has definitely not been productive because my mood hasn't been great.

-Maths: C3- I did a past paper from June 2008 and only ended up getting 61/75 which is a B. I made lots of silly mistakes, especially on the modulus equations, exponential equations and functions questions. To be fair, I haven't done a C3 paper in a while so maybe that is why I haven't done very well.
    -Physics: Astrophysics- I started doing the booklet of exam questions on cosmology but some of the questions are confusing because they don't give you a value of Hubble's constant to use? I also had an argument with my mum in the afternoon which put me in a really bad mood. The worst part is that the argument came on so suddenly- she was telling me that she might be going out with my dad and brother tomorrow so she wants me to make sure I hear the postman with her parcel, so then I said "what if I want to come out with you too?", and then she started snapping at me and saying that I don't usually want to go out with them. She wonders why I want to move far away for university... I know I'm not wanted here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Friday 14/04/17

This morning I woke up feeling unusually positive and motivated, so I have managed to complete quite a bit of work today!

-Physics: Astrophysics- I finished the booklet of cosmology exam questions that my teacher set for homework. I realised that the Hubble Constant has been in the formulae booklet all along!
    -Physics: Particles-I finally got round to completing the mind map, using my revision guide this time which is a life saver!
    -Maths: C4- I did 45 minutes of revision (aka past paper questions) on integration because I have to resit the end-of-topic assessment at some point when I go back to sixth form. I may or may not have got a U the first time round.... Up until then, I'm going to do 45 minutes of revision on this per day as I think this will be more beneficial than spending hours on it for one day and then forgetting everything when it comes to doing the test.
    Psychology: Forensics- I made an essay plan for cognitive explanations of offending behaviour.
    Psychology: Issues & Debates- I made an essay plan for free will vs. determinism. It turns out that we are not actually as in control of our behaviour and thoughts as we may think!!

That is it for today. I am quite concerned about the amount of essay plans I still need to make for Psychology. I still need to do half of Forensics, half of Attachment, most of Biopsychology and all of Psychopathology! To make things worse, my teachers have given me mock exams for Paper 1 and Paper 2 to do over Easter, but I haven't finished revising everything yet! And next week on Thursday, I have to do Paper 3 at sixth form in timed conditions, which I'm not prepared for at all!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunmaallah)
    Get some friends
    Reported for being "Not Constructive". xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm so proud of you doing this consistently, you're an inspiration xx

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your revision and your examinations, hope it all goes really well for you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurani9)
    I'm so proud of you doing this consistently, you're an inspiration xx
    (Original post by EmmaCx)
    Good luck with your revision and your examinations, hope it all goes really well for you!
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:

Sunday 19/03/17

So, I have made this:
    Orange/red = Maths
    Purple = Psychology
    Blue = Physics

I just came across your blog, and I'm so glad I did because I think that I might just need to steal that idea of yours
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    I just came across your blog, and I'm so glad I did because I think that I might just need to steal that idea of yours
    Thanks! . I hope you find it helpful! I keep switching between that method and to-do lists haha. It's really good for making sure you don't ignore any of your subjects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Friday 21/04/17

I can't believe how quickly this month is going...it is actually freaking me out! I will try to remember what has happened each day of this week.

[Easter] Monday:
    - Physics: Quantum-I made a mind map for this topic.
    - Psychology: Did the majority of the paper 2 mock exam. I definitely need to revise A2 research methods
    - Psychology: Forensics- I made an essay plan for psychodynamic explanations for offending behaviour.
    - Went for a walk in the countryside with my family to clear my head and get some fresh air.

Tuesday: Back to sixth form.
    - Maths: M1- I did the June 2007 paper but haven't marked it yet. Oops.
    - Psychology: Issues & Debates- Ethical implications essay plan.
    - Psychology: Issues & Debates-Idiographic & nomothetic approaches essay plan.
    - Maths: Lesson- We went over how to do implicit differentiation and did plenty of practice.
    - Psychology: Relationships- I revised the first half of this topic just by highlighting the key things in the essay plans I have made. I know it's not the best revision method but it's good for short-term memory recall.
    - Went to the dentist and got told that my teeth are in excellent condition-which is a miracle.

Wednesday:
    I felt really ill today so didn't do much at all.
    Psychology: Lesson-We just did our own revision for the mock exam. I made some flashcards on relationships.
    Maths: Lesson- We learnt how to do exponential differentiation.

Thursday:
    Psychology: Schizophrenia- I went in the sixth form library at 8am to read through my schizophrenia essay plans and highlight the key stuff. Surprisingly, this was actually really useful!
    Maths: Lesson- We did the M1 June 2016 paper as a mock and I found it really difficult. Every question required so much brain power and I've probably lost at least half of the marks.
    Psychology: In the afternoon, I had the paper 3 mock exam which went alright? I definitely don't think I'm going to get anything above a C, but to be fair, I haven't had the chance to revise everything yet.
    Physics: I did the PA01 (Particles & Quantum Phenomena) paper from January 2003 and got 44/60, which is not bad for a first attempt at a past paper! I didn't use any of my notes either.

Friday:
    Physics: Astrophysics- Again, I went into the library at 8am except today I answered some textbook questions on classifying stars as I had an assessment on it today.
    Psychology: Lesson- Not the most productive of lessons. We briefly went over cultural variations of attachment but I also started making an essay plan for the learning theory of attachment.
    Physics: Lesson- We did an assessment on classifying stars and I don't think I've done amazingly but I don't think I've failed.

Wow... that took ages to write! I've had this evening off revision but I'm planning to do around 8 hours of revision each day over the weekend. My preferred strategy is to work solidly for 50 minutes and then have a 10 minute break.
    I have so many things that I need to do and it is stressing me out. I feel like I'm not doing enough right now but at least I've been doing something each day.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Saturday 22/04/17

I had a nice lie-in this morning, although that meant I haven't been able to do as much revision as I wanted to, since I work much better earlier on in the day.

Maths: C4- I did a couple of questions on integration by substitution which was very unsuccessful because it took a whole hour and even then, I couldn't get the final answers. I have to do the assessment resit on Monday .
    Maths: C3- I did the January 2009 paper and did appallingly. I only got 57/75 because I made so many pathetic mistakes. I don't mind losing marks due to a lack of understanding but losing marks due to not thinking properly annoys me so much.
    Physics: I did the PA02 paper from January 2003 which consists of mechanics and thermal physics. This needs a lot of work, especially mechanics! I only got 25/60 of the marks which is... ****. I hate mechanics so much.
    Psychology: Biopsychology- I made an essay plan for split-brain research. I think biopsychology is one of my favourite topics in psychology. I really wish I had chosen A-level Biology instead of A-level Physics because I'd probably find it much more interesting. But then again, a lot of people complain about Biology so I don't know.

Submit reply
Updated: April 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.