Turn on thread page Beta

American Universities watch

    • Thread Starter

    How does the American university system work, specifically Harvard? In the UK, I want to do a BSc/BA in Economics. What would I do in the USA to get this? Given that Harvard is a Liberal Arts college, how would I get my degree in Economics? Btw the economics degree is for investment banking.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Typically you would choose your major (or concentration, as Harvard calls it) in the second year. To graduate with a degree in Economics you would need to do a certain amount of credits in the subject, see here: http://economics.harvard.edu/concentration-requirements

    To get admitted into a bachelors program at Harvard, you just apply, take the required standardized tests, and submit all the required documents. On your application, you will select your field of study. If they require anything else for their Economics undergraduate degree, it will be stated on their department or Admissions page for Harvard College (yes, College, not University. The undergraduate/Bachelors programs are under Harvard College, but you will still go to Harvard University's website) so be sure to check that out.

    To answer your other question, US universities require 4 years of study to complete your bachelors degree. In the UK, you only need to take courses for your Economics major, but in the US you will also need to take a number of classes across a broad spectrum of subjects. These other courses make up your general education requirements. They include foreign language, English Composition, Sciences, History, etc. In your first two years, you will take a combination of classes for your major and those from the General Education (GE) requirement. If you've completed all your GE classes, then after that you will just take courses for Economics. When you actually complete all your GE requirements will depend on how many classes you enroll in each semester. Some people may take more than two years. You can find information on the General Education program on the university's Academics page.

    You need to take an SAT test which has 3 modules and the highest mark you can get is 2500* i think recalling of memory
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.