The Student Room Group

Does Oxbridge dominate London law?

Hello guys,
I recently had a bit of a crisis following rejection to read law at Oxford. I convinced myself that it was now impossible for me to ever work at a top London firm/chambers. This was mainly a result of what I had read on this website. I then spoke to a friend's sibling, who graduated from Exeter and had secured a job in the Magic Circle. He told me that the university you attended is becoming less important, and top positions are not at all dominated by Oxford and Cambridge graduates but by all top Russell Group universities collectively. I was considering studying law at Durham, and he said that my chances of getting in are virtually equal to that of an oxford graduate now, and he told me to look up statistics to back up his claims. At first I thought he was saying this to make me feel better (I had a little break down after Oxford rejection, lol), but it seems he does have a case.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf
This shows that Durham/Bristol/Nottingham etc... are really only just behind Oxford and Cambridge (individually).
US firms, however, seemed to hire exclusively from Oxbridge - is this a big deal?
Top Russell group universities also had a strong showing at regional firms, although I'm more interested in working London.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
Durham and Nottingham are almost level with Oxford and Cambridge here, and many other Russell Groups have a strong showing.

This forum portrays Oxbridge as a path to riches in the legal industry, and I convinced myself that it was an Oxford or bust situation for me but this doesn't seem to be true. It looks as if it gives you only a slight advantage over universities such as Nottingham, Durham, and Bristol.
Can the data shown here be trusted, or is London law really dominated by Oxbridge?
On another note, I'm predicted 5A* at A level, if I manage 4A* and an A do you think it's worth me reapplying to Oxbridge? Is it even worth it? I go to a pretty awful comprehensive if that would help my application in anyway? It obviously didn't the first time around, as incredibly prepared and polished applicants from top schools wiped the floor with me when I went for an interview at my chosen college. I'm unsure if I want to become a solicitor or barrister.
Reply 1
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Hello guys,
I recently had a bit of a crisis following rejection to read law at Oxford. I convinced myself that it was now impossible for me to ever work at a top London firm/chambers. This was mainly a result of what I had read on this website. I then spoke to a friend's sibling, who graduated from Exeter and had secured a job in the Magic Circle. He told me that the university you attended is becoming less important, and top positions are not at all dominated by Oxford and Cambridge graduates but by all top Russell Group universities collectively. I was considering studying law at Durham, and he said that my chances of getting in are virtually equal to that of an oxford graduate now, and he told me to look up statistics to back up his claims. At first I thought he was saying this to make me feel better (I had a little break down after Oxford rejection, lol), but it seems he does have a case.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf
This shows that Durham/Bristol/Nottingham etc... are really only just behind Oxford and Cambridge (individually).
US firms, however, seemed to hire exclusively from Oxbridge - is this a big deal?
Top Russell group universities also had a strong showing at regional firms, although I'm more interested in working London.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
Durham and Nottingham are almost level with Oxford and Cambridge here, and many other Russell Groups have a strong showing.

This forum portrays Oxbridge as a path to riches in the legal industry, and I convinced myself that it was an Oxford or bust situation for me but this doesn't seem to be true. It looks as if it gives you only a slight advantage over universities such as Nottingham, Durham, and Bristol.
Can the data shown here be trusted, or is London law really dominated by Oxbridge?
On another note, I'm predicted 5A* at A level, if I manage 4A* and an A do you think it's worth me reapplying to Oxbridge? Is it even worth it? I go to a pretty awful comprehensive if that would help my application in anyway? It obviously didn't the first time around, as incredibly prepared and polished applicants from top schools wiped the floor with me when I went for an interview at my chosen college. I'm unsure if I want to become a solicitor or barrister.

Once you go to uni, you will realise that a lot you read on the student room is Oxbridge circlejerking. Honestly, as long as the uni you go to is half decent you will be ABSOLUTELY FINE. Your extra-curricular activities and grades I would say matter far more than where you go to uni. If you want to re apply by all means go for it, but you will get a good education and a good chance at top firms if you go to any other Russel group. You are absolutely right in how this forum is obsessed with Oxbridge when really yes, it is probably true you get a good opportunity there but you also have great opportunities at other great universities.

I have been to a lot of law firm events and done a few internships and have two vac schemes for next Summer - I personally go to Edinburgh, and a lot of people who are doing really well at firms have been to Exeter, UCL, Warwick, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde and even non russel groups. Don't stress, seriously. Plus, Oxbridge is a really intense uni experience (comparatively - the terms are a lot shorter, etc) that involves a lot of study so it isn't for everyone.

Don't worry, you will be absolutely fine.
I used to work as a solicitor at a Magic Circle firm. I'd say about 40% of my intake came from Oxbridge.

After a few years PQE I left and now work for another very good London firm which is not in the Magic Circle. Again there are a fair number of Oxbridge grads knocking around, perhaps something like 20-25% of the lawyers here.

The suggestion that you can't work for a top firm if you don't get into Oxbridge is ridiculous, I think you already know that but just want some reassurance :wink:

I'd also steer you away from thinking the Magic Circle is your only option. The Magic Circle is great if you want to do corporate law work and are prepared to work all hours. But if you decide you want to work in an area like criminal litigation, family law, advising start-ups etc. etc. then the Magic Circle is not the place you want to be.
Durham...Durham everywhere.

Quick Reply