Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to be extremely smart? Is it very competitive? If i graduated with a law degree from a good university would i find it really difficult to find a job?

If it helps my a levels are philosophy, history and government and politics.I am thinking of changing G&P to economics, would this make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJones191)
    Do you have to be extremely smart? Is it very competitive? If i graduated with a law degree from a good university would i find it really difficult to find a job?

If it helps my a levels are philosophy, history and government and politics.I am thinking of changing G&P to economics, would this make a difference?
    Getting a degree (and LPC) is pretty easy. Training contracts = kinda competitive but you don't have to be a genius, it's not extremely difficult to get one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Not any more difficult than a lot of other professional careers. In fact it will be harder to get into certain other careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, as careers go it's a pretty tough one to crack. Lots of competition out there, far more law graduates than training contracts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    To be fair, as careers go it's a pretty tough one to crack. Lots of competition out there, far more law graduates than training contracts.
    :ditto:
    Very true, but that's the same with all (graduate) careers to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    :ditto:
    Very true, but that's the same with all (graduate) careers to be honest.
    Good point - no grad job is easy.

However there's 20k law graduates per year. I don't know how many training contracts there are, but it can't be anywhere remotely close to that number.

Conversely if you looked at accountancy, there's 10k graduates per year. Four firms alone hire almost 5k accountants every year (although to be fair, many of the people they hire didn't study the subject at uni). Still, if you're playing a numbers game, it's got to be an easier career to break in to. (note I say easier, not better)

Then again, there's also 20k psychology grads a year and probably about 10 jobs in that field, so could be worse odds
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    not just law grads, factor in the non-law grads too and it gets a bit wild.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

However there's 20k law graduates per year. I don't know how many training contracts there are, but it can't be anywhere remotely close to that number.

Conversely if you looked at accountancy, there's 10k graduates per year. Four firms alone hire almost 5k accountants every year (although to be fair, many of the people they hire didn't study the subject at uni). Still, if you're playing a numbers game, it's got to be an easier career to break in to. (note I say easier, not better)

Then again, there's also 20k psychology grads a year and probably about 10 jobs in that field, so could be worse odds
    This is why graduates shouldn't just be looking into their fields; they need to be more open about what they want to do.
    I understand that this may not be the case - spent 3 years studying something then realise it was all for nothing.
    In my experience as you can see from my signature I studied something similar to Psychology but a piece of paper didn't stop me from getting a job; my experience, determination, positive work attitude and good work ethic did all of that for me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

most*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Although an excellent grade may be important for the first sep, but so is experience too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    most*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What % would you say is "most"?

51%?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

There's about 5500 training contracts a year. You then have to also factor in how many people go into paralegal roles and the bar though. That could easily be that same number again.

However a significant proportion of law students won't choose to pursue a career in law. Many go into finance and civil service roles instead, as well as many other different professions. Law is not like medicine where pretty much every graduate ends up going into the profession they studied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    What % would you say is "most"?

51%?
    Probably closer to 80+ % given my experience. That's for the bigger firms with very large intakes and who support individuals through ACA/ACCA/ATT training though.

Local accountancy firms tend to be much stricter and will tend to want people who have an A&F degree, and potentially even those who are partly Qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Probably closer to 80+ % given my experience. That's for the bigger firms with very large intakes and who support individuals through ACA/ACCA/ATT training though.

Local accountancy firms tend to be much stricter and will tend to want people who have an A&F degree, and potentially even those who are partly Qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think 80% of my big 4 intake were from unrelated degrees. Maybe 60%?

But then I guess different departments, different years etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I don't think 80% of my big 4 intake were from unrelated degrees. Maybe 60%?

But then I guess different departments, different years etc.
    I factored in the non accountancy departments (advisory/consulting), probably closer to what you said if you looked at the accountancy roles though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I factored in the non accountancy departments (advisory/consulting), probably closer to what you said if you looked at the accountancy roles though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good point

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.