Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  qq.png
Views: 21
Size:  34.5 KBThis picture shows 2-aminobutanoic acid reacting with excess ethanol with concentrated H2SO4. But I have a few questions about the answer. First, why is the amine group not protonated since acid is present, why is NH3+ not formed? Second, I don't get how 2 water molecules are produced.

This is another example I found to support my point.

Attachment 611712611716

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Also I am guessing the positive charge is on N right?

ReputationRep:
    You're right.

The only justification I can think of for the first image is: if you acid catalyse the esterification, you'll make the protonated amino version as in the second image with the creation of 1x H2O (and yes the + is on the N). If you then neutralise, by adding OH-, you'll generate a second H2O. Perhaps the first image shows the overall equation, without making reference to the work-up stage or including the reagents, but whilst still including one of the products in the equation.

Taking the equation as written, it is clearly not balanced, so some information must be missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    You're right.

The only justification I can think of for the first image is: if you acid catalyse the esterification, you'll make the protonated amino version as in the second image with the creation of 1x H2O (and yes the + is on the N). If you then neutralise, by adding OH-, you'll generate a second H2O. Perhaps the first image shows the overall equation, without making reference to the work-up stage or including the reagents, but whilst still including one of the products in the equation.

Taking the equation as written, it is clearly not balanced, so some information must be missing.
    That's all I am given in the question, so only 1 water molecule should be produced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    That's all I am given in the question, so only 1 water molecule should be produced?
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Agreed.
    Also, it should be NH3+? Just double checking . cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Also, it should be NH3+? Just double checking . cheers
    It depending on the wording of the Q.

The product of the acid catalysed esterification reaction involving those reagents IS the protonated version you think it should be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.