Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys, last year I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis but now as the condition has progressed and the appearance changed and since I have psoriasis in my family, doctors are now sure it's that I have instead of seborrheic dermatitis even though both conditions are very similar and treatment is pretty much the same for both.

I have it in my scalp in about an inch and a half patch at the back. It's so itchy a lot of the time and the skin around it is so greasy even right after washing and then the scales develop and I can't pick them off no matter how hard I try, it's like they are stuck down with super glue to my scalp. Sometimes the condition improves a lot and I might only have the tiniest little flakes and then other times like now, it flares up and it's so itchy and scaly.

I'm treating it with Nizoral and T Gel shampoo, Dakacort cream and I have a salicylic ointment to try from the doc. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experience dealing with this or seb dermatitis and what treatments worked well for you and what sets off a flare up for you. Stress seems to be the biggest flare up reason for me. That and also harsh chemicals like hair dye.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have it in my ears, and it also flares up with stress etc. I use hydrocortisone cream when it flares up and it clears it up really quickly! I don't think you can use that on your scalp though... I find that when I scratch it and try to remove the dry skin, it just gets worse.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    I have it in my ears, and it also flares up with stress etc. I use hydrocortisone cream when it flares up and it clears it up really quickly! I don't think you can use that on your scalp though... I find that when I scratch it and try to remove the dry skin, it just gets worse.
    I have a mild steroid cream for my scalp that the doc gave me but I can only use it for a max of three days at a time and when you have a really bad flare up, sometimes that's not enough time to clear it

Yeah itching and scratching deffo make it worse but omg, it's so hard trying to resist scratching! Did your psoriasis appear randomly one day or is it something you've always had?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I have a mild steroid cream for my scalp that the doc gave me but I can only use it for a max of three days at a time and when you have a really bad flare up, sometimes that's not enough time to clear it

Yeah itching and scratching deffo make it worse but omg, it's so hard trying to resist scratching! Did your psoriasis appear randomly one day or is it something you've always had?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have seborrheic dermatitis It came on around 3 years ago I think ? I might have had it mildly before but it got really bad. The doctors weren't really sure what it was for a while because it's not where you would expect it, but the steroid cream works!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    I have seborrheic dermatitis It came on around 3 years ago I think ? I might have had it mildly before but it got really bad. The doctors weren't really sure what it was for a while because it's not where you would expect it, but the steroid cream works!
    From pics I've seen on Google, mine looks more like seborrheic dermatitis than psoriasis imo but I'm not really fussed what I have as long as I can get rid of it mine started after dyeing my hair last year. I used a new dye but did a skin test a few days before and nothing happened then the next day after using the dye my scalp was burning, scabby and scaly and it's only got worse from there :/

Glad you've found a cream that works and I hope you don't have another flare up for a while :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of a way to remove the scales? I've used Cocois ointment twice and so far, it hasn't removed any of the scales and I feel like the medicated shampoos, creams etc wont be effective or at least as effective as they could be, until the scale is removed but trying to remove it is near enough impossible it seems like
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Looking for a wee bit of advice. So I've been using the cocois cream and pure coconut oil and those remove the scales now but after the scales or most of them are removed, my skin becomes so red. It looks like I have just been badly burnt and its in quite a big area outwith where the scales were by 1cm or two. Is it normal to have such red skin after removing the scales? Its not painful or itchy now but the redness is worrying me and I feel like I'll never have normal coloured skin again and that the scales might come back on the new irritated bits of skin I have now from de-scaling. Feel like you can't win with this condition!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.