Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i was told to apply to 2 ukcat, 2 bmat but 1st- i know i wont do well in bmat because physiscs etc. also im not interested in any of the bmat unis like imperial or oxbridge, they arent somewhere i want to go.

i know there is a problem with the fact that if i do bad in ukcat then i might have to apply again or find an alternative

ReputationRep:
    Well you do the UKCAT before you apply, so you can decide based on your scores whether it is worth the risk. I would say to apply to at least 1 BMAT uni unless you get minimum 680 avg. Not all BMAT unis are like Imperial/Oxbridge. Brighton is also BMAT and is a lovely place.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with applying to all UKCAT, in fact some people will think it's better to do that. Just try and work really hard for your UKCAT first and then from looking at your score, you can start thinking about whether you'll need to do the BMAT. If you don't want to go to a BMAT uni, there is honestly no point in doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    i was told to apply to 2 ukcat, 2 bmat but 1st- i know i wont do well in bmat because physiscs etc. also im not interested in any of the bmat unis like imperial or oxbridge, they arent somewhere i want to go.

i know there is a problem with the fact that if i do bad in ukcat then i might have to apply again or find an alternative
    Wait until you have your UKCAT score then apply. The first time I applied I didn't do well in my UKCAT or BMAT (and didn't apply accordingly) but the second time my UKCAT score was huge so I got interviews, and applied by my strengths. Applying for medicine needs a lot more research than most other degrees, so look at GCSEs etc and just apply for your strengths!

ReputationRep:
    I know lots of people who only applied to UKCAT unis. I would wait and see what your UKCAT score is and then make a decision. If you do well then there's no need to do the BMAT although I know a few people who chose to do the BMAT purely because their UKCAT score wasn't as strong as they had hoped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, if you have a UKCAT of over 700 or 9+ A*s at GCSE you can almost guarantee 4 interviews so you don't have to take the BMAT if you don't want to.

(Original post by sfaraj)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.