Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you feel good about yourself when really overweight? Watch

Is it even possible? I know other overweight girls who just seem so confident and that confidence is attractive. I just want to love myself more. I'm in a relationship with an amazing guy who is ridiculously out of my league and constantly keep my skirt on in the bedroom. It really annoys him, but it hides the band of my body I hate the most (stomach and hips).

Does anyone have any tips on solving body image issues? I'm sick of hating myself. I don't want to anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly overweight right but I don't Care too much. If I'm skinnier people assume I'm a 'player' have even had a creepy girl call me that before but I'm actually a real nerd I'm short sighted wear glass es And used to be Extremely day when I was younger And I still enjoy being slightly chubby because then people Will leave me alone plus my back is a lot less sore And I feel normal as this is The way I have always been.

ReputationRep:
    If you are incredibly overweight/obese and sweat saturated fat, you are unhealthy and stupid if you are simply content. Can you love yourself in this state? Yes ofcourse...

But if you really loved yourself you would lead a more active lifestyle and feed your body healthy foods. At the end of the day if you are unhappy about being overweight you can lie to yourself all you want concerning the viceral fat clogging your arteries and inhibiting you to walk further than 100m without needing to catch your breath as a sign of being "curvy". But the good thing about weight is that one can change it and lead a healthier lifestyle.

Unhappy about being overweight? Make a lifestyle change. Unless you have pws or actual conditions which don't allow you to lose weight then you have no real excuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    If you are incredibly overweight/obese and sweat saturated fat, you are unhealthy and stupid if you are simply content. Can you love yourself in this state? Yes ofcourse...

But if you really loved yourself you would lead a more active lifestyle and feed your body healthy foods. At the end of the day if you are unhappy about being overweight you can lie to yourself all you want concerning the viceral fat clogging your arteries and inhibiting you to walk further than 100m without needing to catch your breath as a sign of being "curvy". But the good thing about weight is that one can change it and lead a healthier lifestyle.

Unhappy about being overweight? Make a lifestyle change. Unless you have pws or actual conditions which don't allow you to lose weight then you have no real excuses.
    Umm.. shut up. this is neither helpful or kind. why even say it. can guarantee the overweight people know they are overweight. you can be overweight but also healthy. being skinny is not a sign of being healthy either. do you actually think saying stuff like this will help people lose weight, it won't. and yes losing weight is a 'lifestyle change' - a massive one. it takes money and time and knowledge and a lot of effort and energy. mental illness can also cause people to become overweight and especially people with depression they lack the motivation and energy to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epage)
    Umm.. shut up. this is neither helpful or kind. why even say it. can guarantee the overweight people know they are overweight. you can be overweight but also healthy. being skinny is not a sign of being healthy either. do you actually think saying stuff like this will help people lose weight, it won't. and yes losing weight is a 'lifestyle change' - a massive one. it takes money and time and knowledge and a lot of effort and energy. mental illness can also cause people to become overweight and especially people with depression they lack the motivation and energy to lose weight.
    Op asked how they can feel better. I provided an answer- living a healthier lifestyle, as oppossed to lying to yourself to feel better. Weightloss doesn't take money. You just eat healthier foods, which are not necessarily more expensive and eat less calories. I never said being "skinny" was an indictator of health, but I did say that having excess weight which prevents you from walking a few hundred metres, without needing a break is indeed an indicator of bad health. So, you can "shutup" and go and espouse your "kind" thoughts for people living in lala land because in the real world if you are fat and unhealthy you are fat and unhealthy..

ReputationRep:
    To feel better about yourself you exercise more and eat healthily until you begin to loose weight and become happy with your body. Theres nothing good or healthy about being overweight its not desirable. People need to stop thinking its ok to be overweight because its not.

Id suggest you start running, go to the gym, swimming or find something that keeps you active and you find enjoyable like dancing or martial arts class? Also aswell as that you could look at making other more active lifestyle changes for example walking or riding a bike to get around as opposed to driving or getting a bus.

Good luck in making yourself feel better.

Yeah obviously I get losing weight but this is kind of exaggerating the point that it is impossible to love yourself whilst being overweight - society makes it feel like you are not allowed to do that! So how is anyone supposed to actually even like themselves?

For the past ten years my new year's resolution has been to lose weight. This year I wanted it to be different. I just want to like myself. I've been thinner. My weight has fluctuated by seven stone from my lightest and heaviest and I was never happy. I would actually say I'm more content now - I'm less obsessive at least (I used to be bulimic).

I suppose my question isn't even to do with weight. I just want to know how to have positive body image. Losing weight is not the answer for that for me, I know I would still hate what I saw as a size ten.

But yeah I don't need comments reiterating that being overweight is not okay. Obviously. Why does that mean you can't have confidence?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.