Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by AcademicDevotion)
    I think a distinction needs to be made between poor overseas students sharing houses in overcrowded conditions (who still eat extremely well, typically rice/pickle/curry) and outright degenerate scum who live off takeaways, crates of beer and revel in a debauched lifestyle.
    Is having a take away bad?
    Is having a beer bad?
    Is enjoying yourself or having sex bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    As pointed out many times above its their first time living away from home. Not everyone is like this (its down to the randomness of who you get to live with), but some are used to parents tidying up for them. Luckily you, can live on your own or maybe get a butler?
    I'll probably live on my own as I'll be able to afford to. I don't want to live with random, unclean and inconsiderate people.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Glassapple)
    I'll probably live on my own as I'll be able to afford to. I don't want to live with random, unclean and inconsiderate people.
    It would be a good idea for everyone. You sound like you would be a very difficult housemate.

ReputationRep:
    Is having a take away bad?
    Is having a beer bad?
    Is enjoying yourself or having sex bad?
    Yeah they're all bad I'm afraid. I used to spend a lot of time with Indian engineering students and they always managed to cook properly and would do group study sessions until very late at night. I dunno about alcohol but I know for a fact that the seedy stuff would not have occurred until after marriage/graduation/permanent employment.

ReputationRep:
    They all think someone else is going to do it.
    • Very Important Poster

Yeah they're all bad I'm afraid. I used to spend a lot of time with Indian engineering students and they always managed to cook properly and would do group study sessions until very late at night. I dunno about alcohol but I know for a fact that the seedy stuff would not have occurred until after marriage/graduation/permanent employment.

If you dont know about alcohol, then why mention it?
    You dont believe students should have partners or sex?
    So when you went to Uni, you didnt have a take away, never had pre prepared food, never had a gf or sex?

Those students who do are branded degenerate scum by you?

ReputationRep:
    If you dont know about alcohol, then why mention it?
    You dont believe students should have partners or sex?
    So when you went to Uni, you didnt have a take away, never had pre prepared food, never had a gf or sex?

Those students who do are branded degenerate scum by you?
    I didn't finish uni but this was at a privately rented house. They may have had whisky or something around Divali but there was certainly never any going out 5 nights a week or nothing like that. Fresh food is not something I would ever compromise on and it is not expensive to get these ingredients. The western habit of spending more on alcohol than on food is incredibly worrying, as indeed is the culture of promiscuity and informal copulations. In an ideal world you wouldn't have state endorsing and subsidising these debased behaviours and most Indians I met would severely shun those who engage in them outside marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    It's reading stuff like this that makes me glad that my parents gave me chores to do growing up. I know people who are going to university and they don't even know how to put the washing on.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't finish uni but this was at a privately rented house. They may have had whisky or something around Divali but there was certainly never any going out 5 nights a week or nothing like that. Fresh food is not something I would ever compromise on and it is not expensive to get these ingredients. The western habit of spending more on alcohol than on food is incredibly worrying, as indeed is the culture of promiscuity and informal copulations. In an ideal world you wouldn't have state endorsing and subsidising these debased behaviours and most Indians I met would severely shun those who engage in them outside marriage.
    :toofunny:What is so wrong with sleeping with someone you're not married to? I don't exactly condone excessive alcohol consumption/crappy diet, but what's so wrong with sex? It's good for you.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a good idea for everyone. You sound like you would be a very difficult housemate.
    Why, because I'm a clean and tidy person and have the money to live on my own, to pay my bills and to have a nice life? Complete nightmare.
    • Very Important Poster

So your experience was one private rented house?

I doubt very many students go out 5 nights a week.
    I doubt many students spend more on alcohol than food.

Are you Indian?

You would shun students from the UK if they had sex before marriage? Doesnt sund very tolerant, maybe Indian uni is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Why, because I'm a clean and tidy person and have the money to live on my own, to pay my bills and to have a nice life? Complete nightmare.
    Exactly. Yes.

ReputationRep:
    So your experience was one private rented house?

I doubt very many students go out 5 nights a week.
    I doubt many students spend more on alcohol than food.

Are you Indian?

You would shun students from the UK if they had sex before marriage? Doesnt sund very tolerant, maybe Indian uni is best for you.
    No bruv am Anglo but muslim now. I dont mix with whites much now for the reasons above. Unfortunately even urban India now is heading the same way as the west

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's a bunch of factors:
    - you have people living alone for the first time ever and for the majority of people before that parents will have regulated cleaning even if the student contributed so suddenly they have to decide for themselves when the bin needs emptying and how often to clean the toilet
    - a lot of people have lived in an environment where everything was done for them so they simply aren't used to thinking about cleaning
    - people are so caught up in the 'student life' that cleaning doesn't occur to them
    - you've got people making more mess than 'normal' because they're drinking or not used to cooking and so on
    - people suddenly have to negotiate cleaning as a group and work out how to share responsibilities which can lead to a downward spiral if no one wants to be the person cleaning all the time
    • Political Ambassador

Because this is not the typical student who lives in halls so ultimately it would be a horrible environment for you and the others wouldn't get your criticism and complaining. They would find it extremely annoying especially when hungover.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh my experience at Durham was that some people are just ****ing lazy spoiled brats who expect others to tidy up after

It was mostly rich kids who did this, a lot of rich internationals were a nightmare in my college, they would leave places looking like a tip and act passive aggressive till someone else got sick of it. Stains on the kitchen top and vegetable tops in the sink you name it!

ReputationRep:
    Some student are use to everything being done for them so they don't know how to clean or wash clothes.

ReputationRep:
    University is about education, not living properly. Duuh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Yeah there's a bunch of factors:
    - you have people living alone for the first time ever and for the majority of people before that parents will have regulated cleaning even if the student contributed so suddenly they have to decide for themselves when the bin needs emptying and how often to clean the toilet
    - a lot of people have lived in an environment where everything was done for them so they simply aren't used to thinking about cleaning
    - people are so caught up in the 'student life' that cleaning doesn't occur to them
    - you've got people making more mess than 'normal' because they're drinking or not used to cooking and so on
    - people suddenly have to negotiate cleaning as a group and work out how to share responsibilities which can lead to a downward spiral if no one wants to be the person cleaning all the time
    Summed up in a sentence:

Many students are lazy egotistic pieces of **** who can't do basic tasks like clean after themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Summed up in a sentence:

Many students are lazy egotistic pieces of **** who can't do basic tasks like clean after themselves.
    This. :mad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.