Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do many students live disgustingly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Probably because life has never been hard for you, it appears. Nice to see you also have a debauch streak yet criticise people for spending money on booze.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have the money, they don't then whinge they can't pay for food or rent. Bottom line is if they stopped spending bits and pieces of cash everywhere at five, ten, twenty pounds a time on crap they don't need, they could lead better lives.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I have the money, they don't then whinge they can't pay for food or rent. Bottom line is if they stopped spending bits and pieces of cash everywhere at five, ten, twenty pounds a time on crap they don't need, they could lead better lives.
    Did you earn the money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Everyone saying that the reason why some students live like that is because they probably didn't have to do chores at home, or didn't know how to wash or do anything before going to live independently are so wrong lmao. That is no excuse.

I never had to do any housework at home, but I am keeping my flat perfectly tidy and washing my clothes and cleaning up was a pretty easy thing to do; laziness and spending too much time partying are to blame here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Did you earn the money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I didn't, but it's in my account and continues to be put in there everyday and that's not going to change. My point is that although typically students don't have much money, they do have enough to love like clean, decent, healthy human beings, if they go to the right shops and don't waste their money. I waste my money because I have it; they waste money they don't have then get angry when they realise that.

ReputationRep:
    Majority of them are lazy and expect their housemates to do it.

One of my housemates ruins the kitchen whenever he cooks, then go back to his room, smokes without a care in the world to clean his own mess. I know for a fact that he definitely isn't like this at home, but does this here purely because of laziness.

ReputationRep:
    Why do students choose to live like this? Do they want to get sick and/or live in chaos and mess? I'm 16 but I couldn't live like that at ll; if something needs cleaning or doing no matter how big or small, I just get on and do it. It disgusts me how people live everyday like this; I was told seven people live in that house, I don't see how none of them can be bothered to look after where they live.
    It's not a student thing. I house shared multiple times, and when I shared with four other guys I worked with our house was generally a mess. We didn't feel any particular ownership or connection to the house as it was being shared between us all, so we weren't particularly diligent with cleaning the communal areas, as they were only used briefly at certain times. Our living room was always filled with beer cans and overflowing ashtrays from the occasional times we'd sit and have a drink together.
    I've also house shared with a group of older people, none of us knew each other and I find that even though the communal areas were much cleaner, we still didn't really show them any love or care to keep them tidy. Post would pile up on the table, the living room was more or less used for drying clothes in the winter and we never sat together to eat, so the dining room table was full of junk.

I've got a house with my partner now and while it's not always spotless, I use the living room / kitchen far more than I did in a shared house, and with only two of us it's easier to clean up anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Everyone saying that the reason why some students live like that is because they probably didn't have to do chores at home, or didn't know how to wash or do anything before going to live independently are so wrong lmao. That is no excuse.

I never had to do any housework at home, but I am keeping my flat perfectly tidy and washing my clothes and cleaning up was a pretty easy thing to do; laziness and spending too much time partying are to blame here.
    I somewhat disagree. Not saying that everyone who never did chores at home is going to turn out to be a slob but there is a correlation. Some people will get to uni and after fumbling for a few weeks will learn how to cook, clean, do their washing and so on. Others won't. It's not exclusively to blame and you are absolutely right that laziness and poor time management are largely to blame. However sometimes that transfers over because of what people were like at home. If you were lazy at home then there's a good chance that you'll carry on that streak when you move out. If you aren't used to it at home then sometimes common sense doesn't kick in.

Slightly contrieved and unrealted example. We got a new cooker in our flat. When I was at home I learned that when you get a new cooker, toaster or whatever you have to use it a few times to burn off (cure?) the element/chemicals from the factory. It'll stink for a bit but it's got to be done. None of my flatmates knew what I was doing and didn't understand why their food tasted horrible for a bit. They never learned this at home.

The same sort of thing applies to cleaning, cooking, etc. If at home you were used to leaving cups in your room, or not taking rubbish out then you've developed that natural habbit. You don't think any different and never learned that other people do things differently. You move out but those habits still exist. It's not that you intentionally leave rubbish, it's that nothing actually passes through your mind to begin with. There's no conscious thought. Some people will realise that they are the odd one out, others will not. But the issue is that their habits and brain processes were determined at home. They never learned, they got used to it and that transferred over. The people that don't change are the others that struggle breaking habits. The people that do change are often the more intelligent ones that think about everything and are pretty observant.
    • Very Important Poster

No I didn't, but it's in my account and continues to be put in there everyday and that's not going to change. My point is that although typically students don't have much money, they do have enough to love like clean, decent, healthy human beings, if they go to the right shops and don't waste their money. I waste my money because I have it; they waste money they don't have then get angry when they realise that.
    How many uni undergraduates/graduates have you visited and how many uni graduates are there?

You do realise not all students are like this and most hoises work perfectly fine.

Why do you keep insisting on telling people how much money you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How many uni undergraduates/graduates have you visited and how many uni graduates are there?

You do realise not all students are like this and most hoises work perfectly fine.

Why do you keep insisting on telling people how much money you have?
    If you had bothered to read the post I quoted, you would see she asked me. I've been to a total of six student houses, all much the same.

ReputationRep:
    People will say "I don't have time" is not true. If your room is messy and the house also, then you need to time manage yourself. I don't want to brag but I'm the only one in house (sharing with 3 others) my room is the cleanest. As for the kitchen, oh boy it's a BIG MESS. I cleaned up 3 days ago, woke up and the house is a mess. I take out my rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    I was at a student house yesterday, and it was a complete tip. Mess everywhere on the floor, the bin was overflowing and rubbish was being purposely put around it, the bathroom was dirty, the kitchen was filthy was washing up and old food everywhere, the bedroom I went in had laundry everywhere and pizza boxes and beer bottles strewn across the floor, everywhere needed hoovering and parts of the house were damp.

Why do students choose to live like this? Do they want to get sick and/or live in chaos and mess? I'm 16 but I couldn't live like that at ll; if something needs cleaning or doing no matter how big or small, I just get on and do it. It disgusts me how people live everyday like this; I was told seven people live in that house, I don't see how none of them can be bothered to look after where they live.
    LOL that is what the public think of ALL students, an unofficial entry into any uni is how many cans of beer can you drink in 1 hour, Friday and Saturday nights being the highlight of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Its their parents fault, the only way as a parent is train your kids from really young to tidy up their own mess, not only their rooms, but any mess they make if its the hallway, the downstairs lounge anywhere in the house, they need to clean it up immediately, both male and female. I've found most parents prefer to keep the home tidy but never want to burden their kids with household chores, but its not for your mess its the kids own mess that you make them clean.

Something else I noticed is if someone is used to cleaning, they come to university and find they have to share with others that aren't used to cleaning they mess, like your situation OP. Then you will clean up after them like you are the mother of grown children that you've failed to train, you will clean until you get angry because they steal your stuff in the communal areas, stuff in the fridge/freezer, break furniture and fittings that even you now cannot enjoy the use of that thing, when you try to sleep they keep you awake with noise, they smoke pot and make the house smell, which makes them more lazy and aggressive, by this stage they cannot be reasoned with, then you give up and move out and leave them to it.

Going to university means meeting people from all walks of life, people with a different upbringing to you, they aren't used to cleaning or doing chores, always someone else does it, if something breaks miraculously that thing is repaired or a new one is bought without them worrying how that happened, self centred untidy students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdul201588)
    People will say "I don't have time" is not true. If your room is messy and the house also, then you need to time manage yourself.
    This applies to literally everything in life. If someone says they don't have time or they are too busy then they are admitting that they either don't have a handle on their life or that the thing is of little priority to them.

If you ask a group of friends out somewhere and they don't have time, they either aren't managing their time well or you don't mean that much to them.

If someone says they don't have time to clean then they either aren't managing their time or cleaning is not a priority.

People that say they don't have time for something either aren't managing their time effectively or they aren't considering the something to be a priority. I'm a busy uni student, I do a lot of stuff but I never "don't have time" for something. If it's important then I can make time, if it isn't then I don't worry about it.

It's not always a matter of time management but a matter of priorities. For some people cleaning is simply not a priority.

ReputationRep:
    I pride myself in keeping my room super clean, and my kitchen space clean! Thankfully all of my housemates for next year are clean, but I've seen some nasty stuff aha!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.