Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Staying friends with an ex Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know people who are good friends with exs although I think all of them had the same circumstances - broke up and didn't speak for a while and then became civil again due to having mutual friends - I think you need time to move on if a friendship is going to work.

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on how much you two like each other as people. One of my best friends is an ex, and we talk a lot with only platonic intentions. Just because something doesn't work out romantically doesn't mean that two people aren't compatible as friends. But if the breakup/relationship was bad, then I'd say it's quite impossible to be friends because seeing them will just remind you of how terrible it was.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Depends on circumstance surely? If you have no reason to see each other, then why bother? There's a reason your relationship stopped working.
    I suppose if you've met through something, like a sports club or social group, staying amicable is important, but you don't need to be meeting up for a drink and a catch up.
    If you have kids together, and the spark isn't there anymore, sometimes it's best to move on, and just be friends.

I'm amicable with most exes I have, but vast majority I just don't speak to anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I would not really try, but I would say to put yourself first.It's harder to work through your emotions when you have to play friends and see that person, when you do need time to grieve the loss of a relationship. It's easier with full no contact. It's also depends on why you broke up in the first place.

It could work out further down the line but you do need space just after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    The new year always sparks some thought but lately I've been thinking, is it even possible to be friends with an ex? It's just something I think about especially when friends are often conflicted with staying friends with an ex or not.

My own experience of it has been a disaster. Me and my ex split in April after a nice run of over two years and it wasn't a good break up at all. I'm a nice person so I did end up staying friends with him only for me to want him again and for him to keep pestering me for another run even though he is the one who dumped me. He became dependent on my friendship and would try to make me jealous when he began dating other girls. I did block him several times before unblocking and finding phone calls and voice mails and friend requests on Facebook and I told him to move on and forget me. Since November he's not bothered me and luckily he can't.

But is there ever a possibility for exes to stay friends or is it a no no?

no...

ReputationRep:
    If this was a facebook post, I'd be 'liking' it
    (Original post by BlueSheep32)
    I think it does depend on the circumstances surrounding the break-up. Perhaps if it was just because your feelings for one another had gone and it was mutual, it might be easier than if it was unexpected for one party or if something horrible had happened to cause you to split.

I only have one ex...we broke up last May, and it was me who instigated it, because I'd realised I was unhappy and had been for a while - I realised no-one should feel as frustrated with someone as I did with him. I think I'd also outgrown the relationship (met in Freshers', and it began as a 'living in each other's pockets, all-consuming first love' type relationship) and our lives were moving in different directions, wasn't really sure what we had in common anymore. We said we'd be friends at first, as after so long together we were both sad at the idea of the other not being in our lives, but as time went on I realised it was just reminding me why I was frustrated with him in the first place, especially as apart from when he first got back in touch a week after the break-up, he never seemed interested in how I was doing emotionally and it felt like he'd managed to swtich off his feelings very quickly, like none of it had ever happened and we were just two people who'd always been good friends. It just didn't sit right with me even though I knew ending things had been the right decision, so I decided to tell him it'd be best not to talk for a while in September, and we haven't spoken since. I've noticed he's posting on Facebook a lot more since we broke up though. Whether we'll be friends in the future or not I don't know, but at the moment I'm not feeling like talking to him; I'm still not over the way some of the things he did made me feel.

I think if you manage to stay friends with an ex, you had a very special connection that's allowed you to look past any romantic feelings you had for each other, but I do agree that cutting contact for a while to allow any residual romantic feelings to go away is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    The new year always sparks some thought but lately I've been thinking, is it even possible to be friends with an ex? It's just something I think about especially when friends are often conflicted with staying friends with an ex or not.

My own experience of it has been a disaster. Me and my ex split in April after a nice run of over two years and it wasn't a good break up at all. I'm a nice person so I did end up staying friends with him only for me to want him again and for him to keep pestering me for another run even though he is the one who dumped me. He became dependent on my friendship and would try to make me jealous when he began dating other girls. I did block him several times before unblocking and finding phone calls and voice mails and friend requests on Facebook and I told him to move on and forget me. Since November he's not bothered me and luckily he can't.

But is there ever a possibility for exes to stay friends or is it a no no?
    My ex and I are still friends we still go to the same parties and chat and say hi in school, have a snapstreak etc
    And I have a gf and she has a bf now. So yeah you can

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand why anyone would. Why is it considered childish to block and ignore them? If my most recent ex messaged me and tried to be friends I would feel like crap. He was someone I loved and miss, I would never want to hear about him having another girlfriend and I would feel like the relationship didn't mean much to him if he could spend time with me platonically and hear about my life without being upset

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any experience on this topic, however, I do believe that ex's can remain friends. Just look at Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerholder, they dated and acted as lovers on The Vampire Diaries, even after they broke up. They still remain good friends even after all they went through together

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't worked for me, tried once but it just prolonged the getting over him period.

ReputationRep:
    If it ended on good terms then maybe. Personally I can't stay friend's with my ex.

ReputationRep:
    This thread showed up in my email inbox, and I just have to give my take on it.

So far I was only in one relationship if you can call it that. We were best friends before and had a bit in common. After a bit of friendly pushing from my friends here and there, we confessed to each other.

While I can't speak for her, I have to admit that a lot of blame was on me; I wasn't acting like a boyfriend to her at all. With one of her friend's problems acting like a catalyst, I finally got dumped on Valentine's day, shortly before my birthday (some luck, huh?).

After the holidays is when stuff really started going downhill. She was claiming that I was "Stalking" her, but luckily most people didn't believe her. The heads of year were also aware of this issue, but the "charges" were soon dropped.

Sounds like the end of the line, right? Amazingly, not at all. Since we were originally a group of three, my friend was ready to go through hell and back together. Somehow, he succeeded, and were able to into GCSE exams without any had feelings, wishing luck to each other.

Do I think you should be friends with your ex? Yeah, definitely try. But only if both of you are able to let go of any hard feelings. Sometimes, just being friends is better, after all.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is SUPER best friends with one of her exes and as long as they don't hurt each other and it's a healthy friendship then it's fine!

ReputationRep:
    They're an 'ex' for a reason..plus I think its quite disrespectful if you're in a new relationship and still keep in contact with your ex like wyd?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.