Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my second term of studying medicine at uni. Before applying to uni, I always thought I was an independent person but after going to uni I've realised how close I am to my family. My uni is very far away from home, and ever since going I've been constantly homesick and struggling to get by. I have no idea what to do, and can't imagine myself lasting the whole 5 years, especially after second year when I start placements and will have very little chance to visit home.

Part of me wants to drop out and apply through clearing for a course much closer to home for September, but I know I'll have to give up my dream of being a doctor and disappoint both myself and my family. I also have no idea of what I'll actually do.

Does anyone have any advice?

I don't think you should drop out. You worked this hard to get through and it's your dream.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your family and try to work something out. Other than that, do what makes you happy. Don't drop out if you regret it within 2 months, but don't stay if it makes unhappy. You're in university to make your life better in the future and to be more happy, so choose for happiness. Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apo96)
    I'm currently in my second term of studying medicine at uni. Before applying to uni, I always thought I was an independent person but after going to uni I've realised how close I am to my family. My uni is very far away from home, and ever since going I've been constantly homesick and struggling to get by. I have no idea what to do, and can't imagine myself lasting the whole 5 years, especially after second year when I start placements and will have very little chance to visit home.

Part of me wants to drop out and apply through clearing for a course much closer to home for September, but I know I'll have to give up my dream of being a doctor and disappoint both myself and my family. I also have no idea of what I'll actually do.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Placements don't necessarily make it any more difficult - you still have weekends off, you still have holidays. Have you spoken to your family about this? Maybe they could visit you at uni regularly? Maybe they could help fund you going home for a weekend regularly? Can they meet you midway between home and uni sometimes? Skype/facetime/whatsapp video can all be really useful for feeling like you're with them even when you're miles away.

I wouldn't make any big decisions yet - you've only been at uni for a few months, you're still getting used to your new city and new friends and medical school. I went over 400 miles away from home for uni, and had a long distance boyfriend as well - it does get easier, but you mainly learn to be more organised about planning trips home and finding cheap flights/trains/coaches.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The other thing to consider is that 2 terms in you probably won't (most likely!) have met any firm friends at Uni. I don't think I really found close friends until the end of 1st year/start of second. Living with good friends can actually help relieve a lot of homesickness. At least that was my experience. I was much happier when I moved in with friends compared to first year feeling isolated in halls. I also got involved with things that kept me busy at weekends, like joining a sports club. First year is always the most difficult because you're not settled in and I wouldn't necessarily conflate that with the rest of the 5 years also being tough because you'll almost certainly find people and things and some kind of balance that works for you.

And as above, placements don't stop your ability to go home. Actually I had the opportunity to go home more often during my placements as I selected them partly based on the fact they made it more convenient for me to get home transport-wise!

ReputationRep:
    On a more negative note (sorry), where do your family live? If its London, Oxford area or Bristol area bear in mind that getting jobs in these areas as a junior doctor is not necessarily easy. Especially if you're going to want to go for a competitive speciality. Its not impossible at all, but even if you try to tick all the right boxes it'll never be guaranteed either. The nature of being a doctor as things are in the UK atm is that it sometimes involves a lot of moving around, and for a long time (until consultancy really).

I second the others' advice about using skype as much as you like and trying to stick it out. I don't want to sound patronising, but i think this is not unusual and part of learning to become independent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.