Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey student room community! I am 17 years old and I am in 6th year in a Scottish school. Throughout my school career I have struggled severely with science and maths down to dyscalculia. However I am gifted with being obsessed with History, yet I have been very lazy and badly behaved(s1-s3 wised iup after that). The result of this being at the end of 4th year I scraped two C's in nat 5 History and Hospitality as study leave consisted of sleeping in and doing NO revision whatsoever.
    Due to my poor results I managed to convince my parents that it was not my fault and that I needed a fresh start and so I moved in with grandparents and changed schools. The real reason I moved was because I had fallen out with friends and as I always have done in life- I took the easy option and moved; rather than try and make amends.
    As I moved I behaved very well at my new school and worked harder yet I still did not do as well as expected as I only attained a C in Higher History and a B in nat 5 English.
    Sorry for Rambling but basically it is only today that I have realised I can't continue to blame my life issues on other people and instead pull my finger out.
    That brings me on to my next question, I am applying to do a HNC at college and wondered that since my attitude has changed and my exam results this year will be better and I will do well at college, will I be able to go to University?

Many thanks
    Chimterboys37

ReputationRep:
    Do well in your HNC and you should be able to gain a university place no problem.

I did a HND in Media and Communication and went on to gain third year entry to a film degree at UWS. After some life changes I'm now doing a HNC in Applied Sciences and have applied to university this year. I've not heard anything back yet personally but some of my classmates have already received offers.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot to be said for HNC/HND study.

I did good in school but left after 5th year at 16. Uni would have been a very bad move at that point because I think I would have found it hard trying to fit into uni as immature as I was at that point. I decided to live at home for a couple more years and do an HND in Inverness. Now, like sinfonietta did, I'm on 3rd year entry to computer aided design at UWS.

I've gotta admit that halfway point between school and uni really helped me, I'm not really the best either when it comes to holding onto or making new friends but college made a world of difference for me because I was on a course where the vast majority of people were like-minded and in the same position as me.

Hope you get it figured out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.