Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    I wasn't offered an LEA award for entry to a US college, we were merely selected to take the SAT test, because Leicestershire has such a low entry to university and they [the lea] are thinking of introducing it, as a replacement to ALICE, so that we have something concrete to augment our other academic qualifications with.

The dual LLB/JD qualification is quite an unknown really, as they have only recently been piloted. It depends on what you want really. If you have the money, definitely go for it, as Columbia is widely considered to be in the top 3-5 for Law. Don't go for it thinking it will give you a passport to America though, as it will only have use to those who want to be solicitors for magic circle firms, or American ones based in London. The experience of studying in NY as well, would be incredible!

My preferred career route (and this is pathetically over ambitious, so feel free to laugh) would be:

Cambridge BA (Law) (first)
    Oxford (Magdalen College! Ha- in Laura Spence's face!) BCL (distinction)
    Harvard LLM (honours)
    Followed by BVC, and then to practise chancery bar and be a supervisor at Cambridge or Oxford.

I too have thought about the LLB/JD route, but have eliminated it on the grounds that:
    London would not be a productive place for me to study in
    My parents refused to even consider remortgaging the house

Bristol is definitely my second choice, after Cambridge.

What about you?
    To be honest, I'm still at a formative stage in terms of my university plans. A lot depends on developments in the coming days (- only 10 days!!).

The latest idea that I've been toying with is:

- Cambridge BA (Law): If truth be told, I'm a bit disappointed by the Oxford Access Scheme rejection. I find Churchill College quite appealing and I'm going to visit it early next week. Cambridge's (pupported) stance on the LNAT also looks quite favourable - as I don't want too many of choices to hinge on the LNAT.

- LSE/UCL/Kings LLB: I can envision myself working in London at the start of my career and I find the LLB/JD possibilities appealing. (Kings and LSE obviously aren't part of the LNAT trialists, so that's also appealing).

- I may be exploring the direct American options, but my chief concern is the hefty outlay! This may put me off applying for any undergraduate courses in the US.

I'm not all that sure about the merits of postgraduate law study though. I'm hoping to become a barrister - is postgraduate, non-vocational study (in the form of an LLM/BCL) invaluable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    - Cambridge BA (Law): If truth be told, I'm a bit disappointed by the Oxford Access Scheme rejection.
    I got rejected from oxford and cambridge access summer schools. Don't let it put you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    To be honest, I'm still at a formative stage in terms of my university plans. A lot depends on developments in the coming days (- only 10 days!!).

The latest idea that I've been toying with is:

- Cambridge BA (Law): If truth be told, I'm a bit disappointed by the Oxford Access Scheme rejection. I find Churchill College quite appealing and I'm going to visit it early next week. Cambridge's (pupported) stance on the LNAT also looks quite favourable - as I don't want too many of choices to hinge on the LNAT.

- LSE/UCL/Kings LLB: I can envision myself working in London at the start of my career and I find the LLB/JD possibilities appealing. (Kings and LSE obviously aren't part of the LNAT trialists, so that's also appealing).

- I may be exploring the direct American options, but my chief concern is the hefty outlay! This may put me off applying for any undergraduate courses in the US.

I'm not all that sure about the merits of postgraduate law study though. I'm hoping to become a barrister - is postgraduate, non-vocational study (in the form of an LLM/BCL) invaluable?
    First of all, mobbdeeprob, I am going on the access scheme summer school and will pass on any valuable pearls we are given. So don't fret, and just enjoy one week with no exam stress at all!

I would however, warn you to be very wary of Cambridge's stance about the LNAT. They might be viewing it skeptically, but upon talking to Graham Virgo @ Downing College, he said they would read the essays very carefully before interview, so they will know how well you write etc. And a good score will obviously look favourable. What you really need to know is the college's stance on law admissions before LNAT. So, at Cambridge I know that Selwyn and Downing have never used anything like it for admissions purposes so it is unlikely to be a crucial tool. However colleges such as Clare and St Johns and Pembroke have so it is likely to be used to that effect. At Johns they have completely abolished their admissions test for LNAT, so it will ultimately carry weight for admissions. At Clare and Pembroke, they are merely running tests this year to create a scale within which to assess LNAT. Churchill isn't one of the colleges I've looked at, so I can't really comment on their likely stance. A lot depends on how well LNAT acts as a filter, and I personally feel it will act very well in that respect and so will be useful. It will be crucial at the pool stage. At Pembroke they said that LNAT would be used to help evaluate GCSE results- if they were poor, was it because of the candidate's schooling/lack of application or limited mental capacity.

Out of interest why are you so attracted to Churchill? Which other colleges are you considering? What was your GCSE attainment?
    Regarding the bar, post graduate work (if you intend to go for high level chancery bar) is almost de rigeur, as shown by the fact that most people are over 25 upon obtaining pupillage. Relatively few people become barristers by the age of 22, because you are simply too young to do so at that stage!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think there will be a another case like Laura Spence's for 2004 / 5 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Does anyone think there will be a another case like Laura Spence's for 2004 / 5 :rolleyes:

How dare you imply that the memory of the living legend a la spence could be betrayed by a copy!

In all seriousness, I think one could emerge with the way Oxford is going to use LNAT/BMAT. I can see it now...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information, yet again!

Out of interest why are you so attracted to Churchill?
    I suppose my primary concern in going to Cambridge, were such an opportunity arise, would be to feel comfortable (in terms of college and cohort). Churchill, prima facie, appears to be quite modern, fairly relaxed, but still retaining an academic bent. I'm not all that peturbed about the prestige or age of Churchill (or any college for that matter) and I quite like the idea of a modern college, on the fringe of Cambridge.

Which other colleges are you considering?
    Not too many others, to be honest. This is the one which has appealed to me the most, bar none. I feel a little overwhelmed by the image of some of the 'more prestigious' colleges.
    What was your GCSE attainment?
    8 A*s, 4 As

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.