Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black students at university uncomfortable by old white professors Watch

(Original post by Anfanny)
      I was in a black lecturer from Cardiff university he was just as good as any I'd listened to. I don't see why it'll make a difference being black or white.
      HAHA I was in his house speaking to him while I was working in The area.
      "The Area". :hubba:

ReputationRep:
      Everytime a conversation around racism comes up, there will always be that one person that says "if you don't like it, go elsewhere."

How brilliant. How amazing. How nice of you!

As a black person, I can totally relate! I have sat in a class and listened to a professor belittle where I come from and I have taken it all in silence because when you speak up, the entitled ones are quick to tell you "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". Meanwhile you are paying over 25k in tuition while they are paying less than 15k! The irony! The nerve!!

I am one of those who has no energy left of discussing with racists. I cannot! I just avoid them like the plague they are.

So the next time you try to stifle free speech with the lazy comment of "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" think twice! These lands were built with the sweat of our ancestors, using what belonged to our ancestors. Save us the speech of "go elsewhere" We are entitled to complain because we are not getting free education. We pay for this!
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LegalDiaries)
      Everytime a conversation around racism comes up, there will always be that one person that says "if you don't like it, go elsewhere."

As a black person, I can totally relate! I have sat in a class and listened to a professor belittle where I come from and I have taken it all in silence because when you speak up, the entitled ones are quick to tell you "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". Meanwhile you are paying over 25k in tuition while they are paying less than 15k! The irony! The nerve!!

I am one of those who has no energy left of discussing with racists. I cannot! I just avoid them like the plague they are.

So the next time you try to stifle free speech with the lazy comment of "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" think twice! These lands were built with the sweat of our ancestors, using what belonged to our ancestors. Save us the speech of "go elsewhere" We are entitled to complain because we are not getting free education. We pay for this!
      What do you mean by belittle where you come from?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by knightchildish)
      I dont think that OP has given the full picture. For starters this uni is called "The school of Oriental and Asian studies". It's literally in the name. There also seems to be some discrimination within the uni too. Telling minorities to shut up as some people here suggest is absurd.

This seems like an excuse for people here to complain about genuine discrimination and seem triggered when they speak out about it.
      It is not called The School of Oriental and Asian Studies.

It is called the School of Oriental and African Studies.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Twinpeaks)
      I'm laughing at these posts calling those black students racist for claiming to experience racism in their place of education.

You think you are better than them, but you're worse Why are these students racist for claiming to experience racism?
      It's the insinuation that someone who isn't the same color as them isn't properly equipped to teach them. If all the race roles in the article were swapped and it was white students saying they felt uncomfortable being taught by an ethnic minority, imagine the explosion of anger on black twitter. To say that the reason that white students were doing better than non-white students is mainly due to white privilege is a lazy cop out. I feel like most of the kids complaining expected SOAS to be a Black Panther 2.0 university and got bummed out when they found out Linda from across the street also got an offer to study there.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      "The Area". :hubba:
      I was fundraising for a registered well known charity lol

I was fundraising for a registered well known charity lol
        You did it for money?!

ReputationRep:
        No. We, the majority, pay for this.

UK has a lot of white people in it, so you'd expect SOAS to have a load of white professors in it, being a university INSIDE the UK.

So any black or minority group with a chip on their shoulder -- should apply for uni in black/non-white majority country if they have a problem with being taught by old white dudes.

ReputationRep:

Where are you from? I get my hometown (Birmingham) mocked left right and center, stop crying about someone's views or prejudices.

ReputationRep:
        It is not called The School of Oriental and Asian Studies.

It is called the School of Oriental and African Studies.
        Oh right my bad

Regardless my point still stands

ReputationRep:
        You did it for money?!
        I never said that lol

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by alexschmalex)
        It's the insinuation that someone who isn't the same color as them isn't properly equipped to teach them. If all the race roles in the article were swapped and it was white students saying they felt uncomfortable being taught by an ethnic minority, imagine the explosion of anger on black twitter. To say that the reason that white students were doing better than non-white students is mainly due to white privilege is a lazy cop out. I feel like most of the kids complaining expected SOAS to be a Black Panther 2.0 university and got bummed out when they found out Linda from across the street also got an offer to study there.

You choose to take that insinuation, but it was no where stated, or even implied that a person of different colour isn't "properly equipped to teach".

No where. It's completely irrational to infer that.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AperfectBalance)
        I cant stand being around black professors or teachers
        I am completely fed up with your disgusting posts. You don't belong here.

ReputationRep:
        Was simply proving a point that what these students said is racist and that denying that is stupid. I dont actually care for the colour of my teachers

Which is precisely what you were criticising the posters here for saying about the black students...

ReputationRep:
          Which is precisely what you were criticising the posters here for saying about the black students...
          What do you mean?

(Original post by AperfectBalance)
          Was simply proving a point that what these students said is racist and that denying that is stupid. I dont actually care for the colour of my teachers
          Okay I get you, but still they didn't say anything remotely like that?

ReputationRep:
          What do you mean?

Okay I get you, but still they didn't say anything remotely like that?
          Saying that they are uncomfortable around old white teachers is pretty racist.
          Sure if they said that they have experienced racism but blanketing all white old people as racist is wrong.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Pikachū)
          What do you mean by belittle where you come from?
          Its an experience that causes me so much anxiety that I would rather not talk about. But yes, the dude formed an opinion about my country and my people and came to perpetrate that opinion in a class. That opinion included a description that we are primitive!!

I am literally over racism!

I don't have any patience for it or for those who try to downplay it.

ReputationRep:
          Ridiculous. All of my lectures are white, and the one I see the most is Cambridge-educated and older. Not a problem with that. I'm sick of people moaning over stupid things. :l
          • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
          Its an experience that causes me so much anxiety that I would rather not talk about. But yes, the dude formed an opinion about my country and my people and came to perpetrate that opinion in a class. That opinion included a description that we are primitive!!

I am literally over racism!

I don't have any patience for it or for those who try to downplay it.
          Do you need a safe space?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.