Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black students at university uncomfortable by old white professors Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    Do you need a safe space?
    Thankfully, that happened about a year ago and I have since moved on from that specific class but it left a sour taste in my mouth and increased my belief that racism is alive and well in the developed United Kingdom.

Speaking of safe spaces, In September 2016, Prime Minister Theresa May hit out at universities for implementing "safe space" policies amid concerns that self-censorship is curtailing freedom of speech on campuses. The Prime Minister said it was "quite extraordinary" for universities to ban the discussion of certain topics which could cause offence. She warned that stifling free speech could have a negative impact on Britain's economic and social success."
    I simply cannot with all this drama.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalDiaries)
    Thankfully, that happened about a year ago and I have since moved on from that specific class but it left a sour taste in my mouth and increased my belief that racism is alive and well in the developed United Kingdom.

Speaking of safe spaces, In September 2016, Prime Minister Theresa May hit out at universities for implementing "safe space" policies amid concerns that self-censorship is curtailing freedom of speech on campuses. The Prime Minister said it was "quite extraordinary" for universities to ban the discussion of certain topics which could cause offence. She warned that stifling free speech could have a negative impact on Britain's economic and social success."
    I simply cannot with all this drama.
    You're actually not even saying what the professor said. My guess is that he didn't really say anything too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    You choose to take that insinuation, but it was no where stated, or even implied that a person of different colour isn't "properly equipped to teach".

No where. It's completely irrational to infer that.
    "One student told researchers: 'Both of my tutors are white men. How can I have a rapport and feel comfortable talking to a 60-year-old white man?'"

“Our experiences of life are so different and you’re coming from completely different places.”

"Some felt it unrealistic to expect their white tutors to be able to empathise with their problems, especially those who had experienced racial abuse in comparable settings in the past."

I don't really know what else I'm supposed to take from that except for the specific people that said these things don't feel like they can be taught by a white person. Truth be told, I'm only on page 14 of the actual full report and from what I gather so far (not gonna read the full thing because ngl I'm too tired to care), it sounds like a lot of the students at the focus groups are unneccesarily scared of their white classmates and it's causing a rift. To paraphrase, I'm reading that the students feel they're always being talked over, having conversations dominated by the white students, not having teachers "stick up" for them (whatever that means), and they're generally uncomfortable to speak their minds because they fear the reaction.

To me personally, that's absolute BS. For example, in the part that says that white males dominated conversations and perpetuated racist/sexist stereotypes if a black woman tried to speak, is the bigger issue here that the males are white or that they're *******s in general? I'm sure you or someone else will say I'm "too white" to truly empathize, but I personally hate some of the victim mentality on display here. Again, I've only read a third of it but I think it's futile to complain about not being "allowed" to participate when the effort isn't really being made. Just like that black guy on Twitter who got asked to give his seat to a friend of the people at his table, stand your damn ground and don't let people walk over you. I'm not gonna pretend I'm not damaged as hell, I'm sure that not everyone at this uni has had the easiest upbringing and it's definitely harder growing up non-white, however I think they're falling back too hard on the "I need to prove to all these white people I'm just as good if not better" mentality is more damaging than helpful because it sets unrealistic expectations of us going from Joseph the castaway slave to Joseph become 2nd in command over Egypt.

Anyways, essay over, I have no quarrel with you just letting off my random thoughts. They can do what they want tbh, my life goes on just like theirs will. StrawbAri I'm sorry for arguing online don't hurt me 😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    You're actually not even saying what the professor said. My guess is that he didn't really say anything too bad.
    If you bothered to read my comment before this one, instead of trolling to get my attention, maybe you would know what he said.

Y'all racists are tiring!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Even if you decided it was a good thing to balance university professors by ethnicity, such a concern is still in competition with more fundamental goals of the university, namely hiring the people who are the most capable.

That's assuming it's an actual problem. University students seem to have become such cry babies in the last few years, it's hard to tell if any complaint is legitimate or just another case of hurt feelings.

As an aside, I'm currently studying at a Japanese language school. All my teachers are Japanese, which has really been such a barrier for me learning the language. Excuse me while I try to get an article in the Evening Standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Link to article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/educa...-a3441006.html

What do you think? What would the reaction be if it were the other way around?
    It's racist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What an absolutely pathetic sentiment. The only people being racist here are the students.

ReputationRep:
    ...there has been a gap between the degree attainment of white and BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) undergraduates at SOAS, with a greater proportion of white students attaining either a 2:1 or first class degree...The gap is not attributable to a deficit in BME students: any intervention must target institutional factors and not BME students themselves.
    from https://soasunion.org/liberation/attainmentgaps/ (but my underlining)

There we are, then: a whole world of possibility dismissed by fiat. And suggestions that disparities in attainment might have something to do with the students themselves hardly seems to require a racist explanatory story. Does being white and going to SOAS imply a greater degree of commitment to the subject than does going as a BME student? I dunno: it might. Are the white kids more usually middle class (hint: they are) such that they are less likely, for example, to have to work part-time jobs in term-time?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you need to have the same skin colour or background to build the sort of professional rapport that is required between students and their assigned faculty members.

(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
      I don't think you need to have the same skin colour or background to build the sort of professional rapport that is required between students and their assigned faculty members.
      But doesn't it help to have the same background?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      But doesn't it help to have the same background?
      It shouldn't make a difference.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.