Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Black students at university uncomfortable by old white professors watch

ReputationRep:
    ...there has been a gap between the degree attainment of white and BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) undergraduates at SOAS, with a greater proportion of white students attaining either a 2:1 or first class degree...The gap is not attributable to a deficit in BME students: any intervention must target institutional factors and not BME students themselves.
    from https://soasunion.org/liberation/attainmentgaps/ (but my underlining)

There we are, then: a whole world of possibility dismissed by fiat. And suggestions that disparities in attainment might have something to do with the students themselves hardly seems to require a racist explanatory story. Does being white and going to SOAS imply a greater degree of commitment to the subject than does going as a BME student? I dunno: it might. Are the white kids more usually middle class (hint: they are) such that they are less likely, for example, to have to work part-time jobs in term-time?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I don't think you need to have the same skin colour or background to build the sort of professional rapport that is required between students and their assigned faculty members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    But doesn't it help to have the same background?
    It shouldn't make a difference.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.