Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mitigating Circumstances Form Watch

Hi,

I'm a first year student and I've been depressed for over a year, the university aware and I'm registered with the university's disability service. I have January exams starting tomorrow and recently (the past few weeks), I've been going through a pretty bad episode. I've found it almost impossible to revise and I will definitely underperform in my exams. I'm afraid I'll fail. It's annoying because when I am feeling well, I usually get high firsts/the highest mark in the year.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to fill in the mitigating circumstances form. Do I list the 'periods affected' as the last few weeks until the end of the exam period or say it's still going on? Or do i start from the date I got a diagnosis?

I'm also not really sure how to answer 'Please describe the nature of the circumstances or events that you believe have affected or are affecting your performance. Please be specific about the way in which these circumstances have affected your performance'

Do I just say that I've been depressed for a while but I've been going through a particularly tough episode?

bump

From my experience with mitigating circumstances, if you have a a long-term condition (which you have) you need to state that it has become worse. You'll also need medical evidence to back this up.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm also not really sure how to answer 'Please describe the nature of the circumstances or events that you believe have affected or are affecting your performance. Please be specific about the way in which these circumstances have affected your performance'

Do I just say that I've been depressed for a while but I've been going through a particularly tough episode?
    "Please be specific about the way in which these circumstances have affected your performance."

This means you talk about how your mental health has disrupted your ability to effectively study for exams, for instance difficulty concentrating and lack of motivation etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a first year student and I've been depressed for over a year, the university aware and I'm registered with the university's disability service. I have January exams starting tomorrow and recently (the past few weeks), I've been going through a pretty bad episode. I've found it almost impossible to revise and I will definitely underperform in my exams. I'm afraid I'll fail. It's annoying because when I am feeling well, I usually get high firsts/the highest mark in the year.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to fill in the mitigating circumstances form. Do I list the 'periods affected' as the last few weeks until the end of the exam period or say it's still going on? Or do i start from the date I got a diagnosis?

"Periods affected" should be filled in as on-going. You'll need medical evidence to back-up your worsening mental health- it should be easy to get a doctor's note.

"Please be specific about the way in which these circumstances have affected your performance" refers to how your set of symptoms have hindered your ability to sit or perform to your full potential in these exams.
    • Very Important Poster

Hi,

Describe what it is you have, how long for and what you have done to deal with including medical support.

Describe how it has affected you and your ability to study.

Give examples and if possible what you have done to ty and resolve the issue.

If you have been in regular contact with the disabiliyu service then they should be able to advise you. Look intio whether its bewst just to take a break from exams if you are not up to it. It seems very late in the day to warn them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.