The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Offer Holders 2017

Hi, haven't seen a thread for any Warwick maths offer holders so thought i'd make one, where we can discuss anything about the course or any questions about the university in general :smile:

perhaps introduce yourself with :

Predicted A2s: A*AA ( Maths , F.maths and business studies)
STEP/AEA: I'm doing both STEP 1 and 2 , although I seem to be struggling quite a bit and may end up doing AEA as its a lot easier.
Which Offer Holder day are you going to?
I'm going to the one on the 15th February.
Why did you choose Warwick?
The course structure was quite appealing to me as well as its reputation in maths. Also its Finance and islamic societies are quite active and id be interested in joining them:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Predicted A2s: A*A*A* ( F.maths, Physics and Chemistry) Already achieved an A* in Maths
STEP/AEA: None as my offer is A*AA (A* in math already achieved hence AA)
None I am International
I am doing MMORSE. Chose it due to its flexibility and course structure.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by dididid
Hi, haven't seen a thread for any Warwick maths offer holders so thought i'd make one, where we can discuss anything about the course or any questions about the university in general :smile:

perhaps introduce yourself with :

Predicted A2s: A*AA ( Maths , F.maths and business studies)
STEP/AEA: I'm doing both STEP 1 and 2 , although I seem to be struggling quite a bit and may end up doing AEA as its a lot easier.
I'm going to the one on the 15th February.
The course structure was quite appealing to me as well as its reputation in maths. Also its Finance and islamic societies are quite active and id be interested in joining them:smile:

You should link this thread to the offer holders page so that everyone can join.
Predicted A2s: A*A*A* ( Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry)

STEP/AEA: STEP I & AEA, might do STEP II as well I'm not sure

Which Offer Holder day are you going to? Wednesday 15th February

Why did you choose Warwick? Maths department is really good & I want to go to a good uni but I didn't like Oxbridge. Also love the campus, the accommodation and it's not too far away from home :smile:
Reply 4
Predicted A2s: A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)
STEP/AEA: STEP I, II, and III
22nd February
It has an excellent maths department with lots of interesting modules. I also appreciate being allowed to take modules from other departments.
Reply 5
Original post by anujsr
You should link this thread to the offer holders page so that everyone can join.

not sure which page you're on about haha
Reply 6
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
Predicted A2s: A*A*A* ( Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry)

STEP/AEA: STEP I & AEA, might do STEP II as well I'm not sure

Which Offer Holder day are you going to? Wednesday 15th February

Why did you choose Warwick? Maths department is really good & I want to go to a good uni but I didn't like Oxbridge. Also love the campus, the accommodation and it's not too far away from home :smile:

Quite lucky , its a 4hr 30 min train journey fro me 🔫
Reply 7
Original post by Fortox
Predicted A2s: A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)
STEP/AEA: STEP I, II, and III
22nd February
It has an excellent maths department with lots of interesting modules. I also appreciate being allowed to take modules from other departments.

step III , 😱 good luck
how come your doing step 3?
Original post by dididid
Quite lucky , its a 4hr 30 min train journey fro me 🔫

Wow 😳 nah it's about 45 mins in a car for me. I didn't want to move too far from home so I'm really happy about it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by dididid
step III , 😱 good luck
how come your doing step 3?

To be honest, it's just for bragging rights 🙈

Loads of my friends are also taking all three exams. Also STEP III is meant to be on the same level of difficulty as STEP II which I'm pretty decent at. I just need to learn all of FP2 and FP3 first.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Wow 😳 nah it's about 45 mins in a car for me. I didn't want to move too far from home so I'm really happy about it :smile:

Thats quite ideal, not too close or to far from home. My parents are still against me staying so far from home, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. Are you commuting or staying in university accommodation then?
Reply 11
Original post by Fortox
To be honest, it's just for bragging rights 🙈

Loads of my friends are also taking all three exams. Also STEP III is meant to be on the same level of difficulty as STEP II which I'm pretty decent at. I just need to learn all of FP2 and FP3 first.

haha, I admire your determination. I'm the only one at my school even sitting step.
I thought STEP III was a lot harder than II due to all the further maths content.
Reply 12
Original post by anujsr
Predicted A2s: A*A*A* ( F.maths, Physics and Chemistry) Already achieved an A* in Maths
STEP/AEA: None as my offer is A*AA (A* in math already achieved hence AA)
None I am International
I am doing MMORSE. Chose it due to its flexibility and course structure.

I was going to apply for MORSE at first too, but all the essay writing kind of scared me away haha.
Original post by dididid
haha, I admire your determination. I'm the only one at my school even sitting step.
I thought STEP III was a lot harder than II due to all the further maths content.

I'm the only one in my school doing further maths, let alone sitting STEP!

I've heard that some people think STEP III is actually easier than II
Original post by dididid
Thats quite ideal, not too close or to far from home. My parents are still against me staying so far from home, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. Are you commuting or staying in university accommodation then?

Staying in halls. Even if I went to the uni that's like 5 mins away from me I'd still go into halls for the experience :biggrin:
Reply 15
I'm the only one in my school doing further maths, let alone sitting STEP!

I've heard that some people think STEP III is actually easier than II

haha, didn't expect that, we have about 13 doing F.maths.

Ive always been told I was the easiest (in comparison) then II slightly harder and III a lot harder , Might have a look at couple of step III papers if thats the case.
Reply 16
Staying in halls. Even if I went to the uni that's like 5 mins away from me I'd still go into halls for the experience :biggrin:

haha fair enough. I just hope the experience is good without alcohol :h:
Reply 17
Original post by dididid

STEP III certainly covers more content but the questions are designed to be on the level of STEP II. I think the only thing which will make it harder is the fact that I'll only be able to answer the pure maths questions since I'll have only done applied maths up to M2 and S2 (also D2 but that doesn't matter here).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Have you guys started looking at accommodation yet? Cryfield looks tempting since my maintenance loan will probably be around £3400. Only thing is that it appears to be the furthest from the maths building :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Fortox
STEP III certainly covers more content but the questions are designed to on the level of STEP II. I think the only thing which will make it harder is the fact that I'll only be able to answer the pure maths questions since I'll have only done applied maths up to M2 and S2 (also D2 but that doesn't matter here).

well I suppose if you concentrate more on the pure you'll hopefully pick up quite a few more marks there, but i suppose that would be a problem. I usually get at least 2 questions from the applied, but Ive done M3 as well though . Thanks for clarifying that :smile:, might end up sitting STEP III now too.

Quick Reply