Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm currently in Year 12 and I want to do medicine at university (hopefully)

I currently do English Literature, Chemistry, Biology, Preclincal and Psychology.

Medicine is very competitive I know but I just want to know whether there is mainly a focus on academic requirements? And also how do I improve my chances of going to medical school?

Note: GCSE 2A* , 7A's 3 B's ( I only came to the UK in December 2014 but I don't know whether these grades are good enough for Medical school )

I'm currently working at AABBDistinction now for AS Level ( we get our predicted grades in February.

I've also 1 week work experience at a hospital.

Any help is welcome( especially for those who apply to medical school for 2017).

ReputationRep:
    Oops mistake 5As

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaffeka)
    Hi guys,

I currently do English Literature, Chemistry, Biology, Preclincal and Psychology.

Medicine is very competitive I know but I just want to know whether there is mainly a focus on academic requirements? And also how do I improve my chances of going to medical school?

Note: GCSE 2A* , 7A's 3 B's ( I only came to the UK in December 2014 but I don't know whether these grades are good enough for Medical school )

I'm currently working at AABBDistinction now for AS Level ( we get our predicted grades in February.

Any help is welcome( especially for those who apply to medical school for 2017).
    I wouldnt say that your GCSE's are good for Medicine, the average applicant probably has slightly higher grades. However they definitely are good enough if you have other areas of your application that are strong ( High UKCAT/BMAT, strong PS or high predicted grades ). You'll need to avoid GCSE heavy unis and also you need to get predictions of AAA or else you won't be able to apply.

Why are you taking so many subjects though, you only need three for an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

ReputationRep:
    I'm only at AS level so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.