Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I do GCSE Latin? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Latin ish but i just want to know how much work you need to put in, in year 10 and 11 and what the test is actually like?

ReputationRep:
    We only had one year to do GCSE Latin. I think one year was too short. It wasn't too bad. There are 2 language papers( where you just translate some latin) and two literature papers ( where you have to analyse some literature written in latin). Which meant you had to memorise like 10 pages of the english translation of the passage and what latin corresponds with the english. The language papers weren't too hard but the literature papers were a bit harder. I thought the hardest part of Latin ( OCR) was the really high grade boundaries ( usually 90% for an A*)

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying A-Level Latin and I think anyone should definitely take the subject: you actually get to study the Latin of original authors, as well as modern writings. How much work you do depends on how competent you are currently on cases, conjugations etc. We went way over the grammar level needed in year 9 (often touching in things only in A-Level) so for us it was more a refinement of grammar than learning it. The language is straightforward if you know the grammar and vocab (of which we had already learnt most words). The literature is indeed harder, but you study it all in class and learn a translation and how it works, and in the exam comment on it and the such. Since you'll be the doing the new spec, read through it on the OCR website, and have a look at some past papers; do this for all your subjects before you take them (finding out which exam board and qualification it is as well). If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    yes. its interesting, improves your memory greatly with all the vocab learning (helped with my french and german gcses), improves your understanding of unfamiliar words in french/english/romance languages (useful in higher studies). i was a bit worried before the exam, but with a good amount of vocab and grammar revision it surprisingly ended up being my best GCSE in terms of percentage (i got 97.3% across my WJEC level 1 and 2 certificates, as well as somehow getting full marks on the hardest paper, level 2 additional)

ReputationRep:
    the golden key to success is ensuring you have a very good knowledge of the vocabulary in time for the exam, my teacher gave us weekly vocab tests which really helped. so, even if you don't know the grammar/conjugations 100%, you can have a very good go at comprehending whats going on, as well as translation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmm.jmk)
    I want to do Latin ish but i just want to know how much work you need to put in, in year 10 and 11 and what the test is actually like?
    It depends what exam board you do - I did WJEC and we did literature and language. I really enjoyed it - it was one of my favourite GCSEs (A level, not so much)

There's a lot of vocab to learn (approximately 500 words) but memrise is a blessing for learning it. It is useful to learn your o,s,t,mus,tis,nt endings etc . There are a few tricky grammar points to get your head around but nothing you can't handle. Overall, I wouldn't say it was too much work, but maybe that's because I loved it.

Literature, more work. There is course work to complete that has super strict and specific marking criteria. There is also the texts to learn for the exam (we did Metamorphoses which I enjoyed, so it wasn't too bad, but it was very long!).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!
    x

ReputationRep:
    High grade boundaries is the prob but not as hard as it's rumoured to be. I mean, it's still highly competitive but not impossible. Don't do it though if you don't like memorising things – OCR you're talking about 25 pages of pure memorisation (in English, dw) all together!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the new GCSE but I'm doing OCR Latin GCSE. We have two language papers (both 60 marks) and two literature papers (each of them are 50 marks). As a subject, Latin isn't too difficult. The grammar is difficult to get your head round but once you have the basics and you know your vocab it's fine. Learn your vocab as early as possible and keep reviewing it. I've been doing Latin since Year 7, slacked in year 9-10 because I hated it and once I ended up with a D in my end of year 10 exam I realised I actually wanted to learn it. Cue a summer of a lot of hard work learning the grammar, vocab + tenses! Now it's one of my favourite subjects as it's easy and not a chore to learn so much vocab as I find I know most of it. The literature translations are also easy to learn. I would say take it, yes you will need to put in work but it will be worth it!

ReputationRep:
    If you need advice on each paper let me know but I'm not sure about the changes to the new GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly Latin is the only subject I hate (maybe because I was never told that there was a literature component when I chose it!) - however if you enjoy sitting down and memorising pages and pages of English it will suit you.

ReputationRep:
    It'll help should you want to learn something like Sanskrit or Hindi at a later date. I wish I had the opportunity to do it when I was 15.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.