The Student Room Group

Organic Chemistry AS Level Help

I've been asked by my chemistry teacher to make notes on the preparation and purification of organic liquid compounds as a part of the organics topic in AS chemistry. I need to know about heating under reflux, extraction using a solvent in a separating funnel, distillation, drying with anhydrous salt, and boiling temperature determination. I'm ok with four of the five stages but I cant find anything on extraction in a separation funnel (the separation funnel being the issue here). Does anyone have any notes on this I could use? Also, are these all stages of one process or five different organic techniques to be inferred separately? (I thought they were one process but my revision guide lays it out in a way suggesting otherwise.)

As a bit of context my old chemistry teacher has just gone on maternity leave so my class has merged with the other chemistry class in the year, meaning we have a very big group and the books recommend by the teachers are different so I haven't got access the kind of content being looked for - neither does the internet either!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest