Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 and want to do some kind of summer school in the holidays - I would do the Sutton Trust one for Cambridge but the course I want to do clashes with a research project I'm doing in the holidays. So is it worth applying for the same course at the Oxford summer school, just to get a feel for what a university course is like, even though I'm not applying there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peppercherry)
    I'm in Year 12 and want to do some kind of summer school in the holidays - I would do the Sutton Trust one for Cambridge but the course I want to do clashes with a research project I'm doing in the holidays. So is it worth applying for the same course at the Oxford summer school, just to get a feel for what a university course is like, even though I'm not applying there?
    I did the UNIQ Summer school and ended up applying to and getting into Oxford. The most useful thing about it, for me, was discussing the things I did during the week.

For example, I do biochemistry and where I'm from in the country is really bad for science so I couldn't find any work experience. UNIQ gave me some experience in the lab, I learned some really cool things that genuinely excited me and I got a few free books at the end of it. I mentioned all of these things in my personal statement and I ended up getting offers from all 5 universities, Imperial, York, Sheffield, Oxford and Durham. I think having more things to talk about allowed my passion for the subject to come through. That was particularly relevant to me because Biochemistry has no admissions tests or submitted work, so my personal statement had to really shine.

Also, Oxford and Cambridge are very similar in many ways, particularly the collegiate system. UNIQ would give you a feel for how that works.

I didn't go on any open days to Oxford, because I used UNIQ as an insight. I think UNIQ could be helpful to you, but just make sure you go to an open day at Cambridge if you can at some point, to get a feel for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.