Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, folks!

I'm creating a YouTube channel along the lines of WatchMojo about celebrities and other stuff.

I have a LONG list of videos and I currently need help with writing them.

I've done A LOT but need even more done and I wanted to save time by seeing if anyone else was interested in doing some, if you'd be happy to oblige!

Here's how it'll work, if you're interested: I'll give you an assignment. For example, I might say 'I need you to write the story of Chloë Grace Moret.'

Then you'd go and write a short script for a video for me to do a voiceover of.

It'd look something like this:

Chloë Grace Moretz was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1997. She moved to New York City in 2002 with her mother and her older brother, Trevor, because he had been accepted into the Professional Performing Arts School, which is what first drew her interest in acting. Moretz would help Trevor read lines, and he taught her some acting techniques that he learned in school. When Moretz realized how much she enjoyed acting, the family decided to attend some auditions to see if she could apply her skills professionally. Consequently, she began her acting career in 2004 at the age of seven; her first acting role in Hollywood was as Violet in two episodes of the CBS series The Guardian and her first film role was as Molly in Heart of the Beholder. It was not until her second big-screen acting role in the 2005 remake of The Amityville Horror that she earned greater recognition in the form of a Young Artist Award nomination. After Amityville, Moretz's acting career progressed further when she received several guest-starring roles on TV, as well as a small role in Big Momma's House 2. Her recurring TV characters include Kiki George in Dirty Sexy Money and Sherri Maltby in Desperate Housewives. After her first film premiere in The Amityville Horror, she has been a frequent guest at film premieres. In 2010, Moretz appeared as Hit-Girl in director Matthew Vaughn's action film Kick-Ass, based on the comic book series of the same name by Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr. Despite controversy surrounding her role in the violent film, she received widespread critical acclaim for her performance. She did most of her own stunts while filming on location. In 2013, she reprised her role as Hit-Girl in the sequel Kick-Ass 2. The same year, she also appeared in a short segment in the film Movie 43 and played the title character in a remake of the Stephen King-based film, Carrie. Since then, she has appeared in a large number of films, including 2016's The 5th Wave, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising and Brain On Fire. Moretz has also starred in numerous photo shoots, including editorials, features and covers, for magazines including Flaunt, Vogue, Teen Vogue, Jalouse, Marie Claire, Interview, Elle, Love Magazine, Crash Magazine, InStyle and many others. In 2012, Moretz also became the face of American youth clothing retailer Aéropostale, appearing at various events, videos and reports. In February 2013, Elle magazine awarded her with the "Next Future Icon Award" at the "Elle Style Awards" gala held in London.

Basically it's just a simple script outlining the defining moments of someone's life so far.

I may edit it slightly, but, if you accept this, you'll be credited as the writer in the video.

Alas, this is all I can offer at the moment, but if it's a success then it'll be something you can put on your resume or something!

If I like your work I may ask you to do several more, if you'd be willing.

Anyway, if you're interested, just post below or PM me and I'll be in touch.

Thanks and feel free to ask any questions!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm very curious about this, you've piqued my interest.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to hire us as freelance writers, you're going to have to pay us. I'm sorry, but resume and exposure work doesn't put dinner on the tables. You'll have to reimburse your writers somehow or do it yourself - otherwise they're putting in all the work for your videos whilst you reap whatever rewards your channel gets.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a former freelance writer, I'd be happy to do a bit of writing for you (not excessive amounts of course) for free. jeanprouvaire this is a student's project, why not volunteer to do a little bit of work for them and give them a head start? You don't have to write for them forever. It could take 30 minutes of your time, and that's all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for doing a couple!
    • Political Ambassador

Sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Speaking as a former freelance writer, I'd be happy to do a bit of writing for you (not excessive amounts of course) for free. jeanprouvaire this is a student's project, why not volunteer to do a little bit of work for them and give them a head start? You don't have to write for them forever. It could take 30 minutes of your time, and that's all.
    If this is a project that they're serious enough about, they should be putting in the work themselves. When the workload gets too much for them, or their channel becomes popular enough that the demand gets beyond what they can offer, then outsourcing may be worth it. But as it is, this person is essentially outsourcing all the work for their channel before they've even started it. This is a large chunk of work for each video, and the Chloe Grace Moretz example given is perfectly competent.

Writers and other creative workers need to value their time and contributions more. I've seen so many artists being shafted by the "it'll be great exposure" or the "if it gets popular you'll get something then" line.

More tangible example - would you ask a builder to build you something for you to film, and say "If the project goes well then you'll be able to say 'I built that' to people?" No? Then why does creative work get shafted?

I'm not saying people can't volunteer, but it's a lot of work that's being outsourced to other people. If you wanted people to edit your scripts or check over them, that'd be more manageable, but your entire video hinges on these scripts. You're just providing an image slideshow and an audio voiceover on top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeanprouvaire)
    If you want to hire us as freelance writers, you're going to have to pay us. I'm sorry, but resume and exposure work doesn't put dinner on the tables. You'll have to reimburse your writers somehow or do it yourself - otherwise they're putting in all the work for your videos whilst you reap whatever rewards your channel gets.
    I've planned 156 videos, for this I have to come up with the ideas, create the thumbnails, write the scripts, record the scripts, create the videos themselves and publish them to a time table.

I've completed the first two stages of every video and, yes, by myself. I've completed a large chunk of the writing of the videos, by myself. I definately don't intend to have other people record the scripts, create the videos or publish them, that will, obviously, all be done by myself.

To say outsourcing some of this simple small task (it takes about 30 minutes-max to write one of these videos.) in order to get it done quicker is me having other people "putting in all the work" is an overwhelming understatment.

I'm not hiring people to write for me, I'm asking if there's people who would like to volunteer to play a very small role, the extent to which is entirely their choice, in the building of this YouTube channel.

If you don't want to, then fine, but don't be making massive, unsubstantiated assumptions about me and this idea which I've been working on since around September last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I'm very curious about this, you've piqued my interest.
    (Original post by Amefish)
    (Original post by User316619)
    I'm up for doing a couple!
    (Original post by EC)
    Sure.
    Great to see this is already gaining interest. I'll send each of you a PM and maybe give you an assignment and you can have a play around with it if you want and see what you come up with.

I've predicted that if I did all the scripts myself it's take me to the 19th of Feburary to finish them all, and I've tried to resist outsourcing this but I decided it could be worth it to get it done quicker so I can get onto the next stage of it. So, you'd be helping me get on my way to getting this thing done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelpMePleaseTa)
    I've planned 156 videos, for this I have to come up with the ideas, create the thumbnails, write the scripts, record the scripts, create the videos themselves and publish them to a time table.

I've completed the first two stages of every video and, yes, by myself. I've completed a large chunk of the writing of the videos, by myself. I definately don't intend to have other people record the scripts, create the videos or publish them, that will, obviously, all be done by myself.

To say outsourcing some of this simple small task (it takes about 30 minutes-max to write one of these videos.) in order to get it done quicker is me having other people "putting in all the work" is an overwhelming understatment.

I'm not hiring people to write for me, I'm asking if there's people who would like to volunteer to play a very small role, the extent to which is entirely their choice, in the building of this YouTube channel.

If you don't want to, then fine, but don't be making massive, unsubstantiated assumptions about me and this idea which I've been working on since around September last year.
    So you've planned 156 videos - have you created any of them so far? To what quality are they being created? What sort of response have you received? Why not link us to your portfolio so we know that you're a trustworthy person to be working with? If this is a project you're serious about and want to take professionally, you have to be prepared to work with others professionally.

Also, see my comment above.

ReputationRep:
    So you've planned 156 videos - have you created any of them so far? To what quality are they being created? What sort of response have you received? Why not link us to your portfolio so we know that you're a trustworthy person to be working with? If this is a project you're serious about and want to take professionally, you have to be prepared to work with others professionally.

Currently, you're the only one who isn't taking this seriously and you're the only one who's got a problem with this. You claim to be trying to assist creative people but so far you only seem to be trying to hinder creativity. Frankly, you're being a nuisance to this thread, acting as if I'm some kind of slaver or something. I'd think it'd be a reasonable risk to call someone who seems intent on wasting their time trying to disrupt other people a troll, but I won't go that far for now. I think I've already said this, but if you have no interest in helping me, as you blatantly don't, then get off this thread instead of trying to be annoying.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Why are you being so awkward? Jesus... if you don't want to do it, then don't. There's no need to get involved just to dishearten sometime.

interesting

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HelpMePleaseTa)
      Currently, you're the only one who isn't taking this seriously and you're the only one who's got a problem with this. You claim to be trying to assist creative people but so far you only seem to be trying to hinder creativity. Frankly, you're being a nuisance to this thread, acting as if I'm some kind of slaver or something. I'd think it'd be a reasonable risk to call someone who seems intent on wasting their time trying to disrupt other people a troll, but I won't go that far for now. I think I've already said this, but if you have no interest in helping me, as you blatantly don't, then get off this thread instead of trying to be annoying.
      So... because I'm pointing out that you're undervaluing the work of others and your need to outsource so early on... and because you won't show any of your portfolio to know whether or not we can trust working with you, I'm a troll? Pardon?

How is asking for accreditation and reassurance of qualitative work annoying or trolling behaviour, though? That's what I want to know. I'm taking this seriously enough to recognise significant flaws in the way you're managing this, which is why I'm pointing them out to you. If this is the way you respond to criticism before your video has even been made... Ohhh, boy, you're going to have fun working on an online platform.

ReputationRep:
      I'm interested if you still need people

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by etudiebee)
      I'm interested if you still need people
      Of course, the more the merrier! I'll PM you soon.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.