Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most prestigious universities Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat course-dependent: though Oxbridge is inherently impressive, Law at Bristol or MORSE at Warwick would likely confer greater prestige than a non-flagship course at LSE or Imperial, while attending either of the latter for Economics and Physics respectively will in turn elicit a more favourable reaction than, say, Geography at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    If a student from London Met wanted to go - why not?

And they are visiting two different London universities on different days. Not 3.

They are visiting Oxford twice. Is that because it's twice as prestigious as Cambridge? No it's because they already have an established program with Oxford (BOSP).
    Nope. They are visiting Oxford twice because it coincides with the Careers Fair they have on Saturday - note that they usually host no events in the weekend. Nowhere on their website do they that they visit Oxford twice because of the BOSP program, where did you get this idea from?

They visited UCL on the 17th and are going to visit LSE on the 19th and Imperial on the 20th. Three different universities on three different days.

Because realistically speaking, a student from London Met does not have the academic calibre to gain admission to Stanford. These events have limited spaces, why waste a space to an applicant who does not have a credible chance for admission over one who does?

Oh and:

Most popular UK universities for American students (by total number of students):
    #1 St Andrews (1,535 students)
    #2 Edinburgh (1,275)
    #3 Oxford (1,220)
    #4 Westminster (1,035)
    #5 UCL (965)
    #6 LSE (595)
    #7 Cambridge (580)
    #8 KCL (545)
    #9 Glasgow (445)
    #10 UAL (355)

Highlighting Stanford event venues. Perhaps they should have held one at Westminster rather than Imperial...
    This doesn't strengthen your argument. If they chose where to recruit students based on how many Americans are there, then (according to your logic) they would have visited King's over Imperial. But they didn't.

Personally I'm surprised you would think so.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSci16)
    Personally I'm surprised
    Ain't life full of surprises. It's great.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSci16)
    Because realistically speaking, a student from London Met does not have the academic calibre to gain admission to Stanford. These events have limited spaces, why waste a space to an applicant who does not have a credible chance for admission over one who does?
    Oh, and says who? Do you work for Stanford?

In comparison London Met grads have a better than 1 in 10 success rate gaining offers for an MPhil at Cambridge. Seems that Cambridge aren't as academically snobish as some people.

ReputationRep:

In comparison London Met grads have a better than 1 in 10 success rate gaining offers for an MPhil at Cambridge. Seems that Cambridge aren't as academically snobish as some people.
    And how many London Met people are we talking about? It's very convenient to throw success rate figures around without controlling for the number of applicants or the course they applied for. There are a plethora of factors which can influence postgrad entry, of which uni name is only one.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    And how many London Met people are we talking about? It's very convenient to throw success rate figures around without controlling for the number of applicants or the course they applied for. There are a plethora of factors which can influence postgrad entry, of which uni name is only one.
    5 successful offers out of 40 applicants. Successes were in Urban Design (2), Sustainable Development and IR (2). And yes I completely agree about the plethora of factors. The uni name is among the least important in that plethora... that's kind of my point

ReputationRep:
    League I (super super prestigious)
    Oxford
    Cambridge

League II (super prestigious)
    LSE
    Imperial

League III (prestigious)
    UCL
    KCL
    Durham
    Warwick
    Bath
    Edinburgh
    St Andrews
    Exeter
    Manchester
    Bristol

League IV (almost prestigious/highly established)
    Glasgow
    Cardiff
    Birmingham
    Nottingham
    Leeds
    York
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, Bath, Imperial, UCL, LSE, King's (although it's far less good than many others, rides on literally being called 'King's', Manchester (ish), Warwick

Some Russell Group unis I wouldn't call prestigious like Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, York (despite still being good).
    Someone may have already clarified in the thread, but Lancaster is not a RG university.

But, I would generally agree with you that it is not a university than most people will go "oh wow, you study there!?". I say this as someone in my 6th year there and I've never got this reaction. Having said that, it is a very good university for a lot of subjects, it just lacks reputation at the moment.

Liverpool is a great university, too, but also wouldn't get the same reaction as Oxbridge, Durham, Imperial et al.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Actually this could be another measure of "prestige" to throw into the bear pit...

UK universities
    with highest success rates at gaining offers for masters at Cambridge.
    1. Cambridge (naturellement)
    2. Oxford
    3. St Andrews (ooo!)
    4. KCL
    5. Edinburgh
    6. Sussex (controversial!)
    7. SOAS (small but beautiful)
    8. UCL
    9. Durham
    10. Newcastle
    11. Imperial (what?! below Newcastle? How can this be??)
    12. Leeds
    13. Manchester
    14. Bristol
    15. LSE (gosh I was starting to panic there, phew...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    League I (super super prestigious)
    Oxford
    Cambridge

League II (super prestigious)
    LSE
    Imperial

League III (prestigious)
    UCL
    KCL
    Durham
    Warwick
    Bath
    Edinburgh
    St Andrews
    Exeter
    Manchester
    Bristol

League IV (almost prestigious/highly established)
    Glasgow
    Cardiff
    Birmingham
    Nottingham
    Leeds
    York
    Well said. I like to imagine in that order too ?

ReputationRep:

Let's be realistic here. Out of universities which have had >200 applicants for a MPhil at Cambridge, the universities with the highest success rate are:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. St Andrews
    4. KCL
    5. Edinburgh
    6. UCL
    7. Durham
    8. Imperial
    9. Manchester
    10. Bristol
    11. LSE
    12. Exeter

There's no point in pretending that the university you attended means nothing.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Richards99)
    Let's be realistic here. Out of universities which have had >200 applicants for a MPhil at Cambridge, the universities with the highest success rate are:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. St Andrews
    4. KCL
    5. Edinburgh
    6. UCL
    7. Durham
    8. Imperial
    9. Manchester
    10. Bristol
    11. LSE
    12. Exeter

There's no point in pretending that the university you attended means nothing.
    See the post 2 above yours (cut off was >100 applicants). It was my collated dataset after all

And I think more people say "wow" if you tell them you go to London Met than Bristol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codelyoko)
    Hello, i'm a foreigner and i don't really know which universities are considered prestigious in the UK.

I know that Oxbridge is great, but what about King's college, or Edinburgh for example ?

What are the universities people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?

I know it's childish but i want to know.
    Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    See the post 2 above yours (cut off was >100 applicants). It was my collated dataset after all

And I think more people say "wow" if you tell them you go to London Met than Bristol...
    Filtering the dataset to >200 applicants will erase most of the comments in parenthesis you made

Haha I'm sure some people would say wow, but don't really see the relevance for what I said.

P.S. this might also interest you!

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    A student from London Met doesn't have the academic calibre? What ignorant snobbery is this? As you clearly aren't a fan of empirical evidence for statements like that I'll give you an anecdote.

I have an offer from Cambridge, one of my best friends has an offer from Goldsmiths but had London Met as an insurance. We're equally academic and probably equal in intellect. Have you ever considered that a particular course may appeal and so that was a reason for choosing a course? Or perhaps socio-economic background may have had an impact on education and institutions attended? Or perhaps instances in someone's personal life may have forced them into a different university, but they're a first class honours student? Maybe there's the big fish in a small pond mentality present at the time of applying? I could go on, but what I'm trying to say is your snobbery is unwarranted, inaccurate and pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's simple statistics and common sense. You can't argue with the fact that students from LSE, Imperial, Durham, UCL etc. are just more likely to go to Stanford. This is not because of the name of the university, but because of the people that tend to go to these universities. (And this in turn creates the name (brand) of the university.)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Richards99)
    Filtering the dataset to >200 applicants will erase most of the comments in parenthesis you made

Haha I'm sure some people would say wow, but don't really see the relevance for what I said.

P.S. this might also interest you!

Spoiler:
    Show

OP's task for TSR was finding universities that make people say "Wow you go there."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mieleki)
    It's simple statistics and common sense. You can't argue with the fact that students from LSE, Imperial, Durham, UCL etc. are just more likely to go to Stanford. This is not because of the name of the university, but because of the people that tend to go to these universities. (And this in turn creates the name (brand) of the university.)
    And yet apparently Stanford can't be "bothered" to run one of their recruitment events at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Jneill, could you pop over to the HSPS thread. Someone had a question and I tried to answer it, but you're far, far better at that than me. All I can do is speculate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I already did...?

(The one asking about Cambridge's process?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go on complete university guide and look at the top 10

I know people with AAB predictions who actually got into some of these
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you did. It was fast. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was coincidence...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.