Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm stuck on this question - when I substitute 0.001 into the expanded form, I get 0.997991.... , which is ten times smaller than the actual answer.

I'm just wondering where I went wrong - did I do the binomial expansion wrong?
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrogeek)
    Hello everyone,

I'm stuck on this question - when I substitute 0.001 into the expanded form, I get 0.997991.... , which is ten times smaller than the actual answer.

You haven't done anything wrong.

The expansion does not directly give you the fifth root you require. Can you see why?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Firstly note this:
    Sub  x = 0.001 , this gives us \sqrt[5]{1-0.01} = \sqrt[5]{0.99} .

Then,
    check  \sqrt[5]{99000} = \sqrt[5]{0.99 \times 100000} = \sqrt[5]{0.99} \times \sqrt[5]{100000}

This gives us:  10 \sqrt[5]{0.99}

So the answer you are after is indeed 10 times  \sqrt[5]{0.99}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rashid.mubasher)
    Firstly note this:
    Sub  x = 0.001 , this gives us \sqrt[5]{1-0.01} = \sqrt[5]{0.99} .

Then,
    check  \sqrt[5]{99000} = \sqrt[5]{0.99 \times 100000} = \sqrt[5]{0.99} \times \sqrt[5]{100000}

This gives us:  10 \sqrt[5]{0.99}

So the answer you are after is indeed 10 times  \sqrt[5]{0.99}
    I understand now! I was getting worried then.

Thanks for the help. 🙂

ReputationRep:
    To save me opening another thread, can I have some help with 7b - I don't know how to find which values x is valid for in the new expression.

Also, I don't know if the combined expression is correct either?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    In part (b) it looks as though you have copied the first bracketed expression wrongly, with 3 rather than 27 in the denominator of two of the terms. When it comes to multiplying out the two brackets, the approach I would recommend is:

* On one row, multiply the first expression through by the first term of the second expression.

* Start a new row. Multiply the first expression through by the second term of the second expression, lining up column-wise with the first row so the x^1 terms form a column and the x^2 terms form a column. You can stop at the x^2 term.

* Start a third row and do likewise for the third term in the second expression.

* Now you can add up the columns to find the coefficients of x^0, x^1 and x^2.

I find this approach cuts down errors (and it will help the examiner to see what you're doing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    In part (b) it looks as though you have copied the first bracketed expression wrongly, with 3 rather than 27 in the denominator of two of the terms. When it comes to multiplying out the two brackets, the approach I would recommend is:

* On one row, multiply the first expression through by the first term of the second expression.

* Start a new row. Multiply the first expression through by the second term of the second expression, lining up column-wise with the first row so the x^1 terms form a column and the x^2 terms form a column. You can stop at the x^2 term.

* Start a third row and do likewise for the third term in the second expression.

* Now you can add up the columns to find the coefficients of x^0, x^1 and x^2.

I find this approach cuts down errors (and it will help the examiner to see what you're doing).
    Thanks for the tip and spotting the mistake - I still got the same expression so I guess I just wrote it down wrong.

So how do you find where x is valid for this expression?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So how do you find where x is valid for this expression?
    You have two intervals of validity for x. The smallest one wins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You have two intervals of validity for x. The smallest one wins.
    so would I be right in saying |x| < 1.5?

ReputationRep:
    The overall validity is set by whichever is the more restrictive of the individual validities.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    so would I be right in saying |x| < 1.5?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    The overall validity is set by whichever is the more restrictive of the individual validities.
    Cool - thanks for all the help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.