Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from Cambridge post-interview for English. I'm going to request feedback but I'm 99.9% sure I know why they didn't even put me in the winter pool and it's because of some stupid stuff I said at the end of the first interview. Because of nerves, I was way too honest about my other A-Level subjects and how stressful they were and how the essay questions didn't make sense (I know, what an idiot).

Apart from that, I thought my interviews went really well and my overall application was strong. I'm gutted - especially because I'm pretty sure it was all my fault and I blew my chances in the space of 30 seconds.

I'm not really sure what to do now. I've got offers from KCL, Bristol and Royal Holloway. Waiting to hear back from UCL. If I get into UCL (unlikely though) I'm pretty sure I'll just go there but those other unis don't really excite me if I'm honest. Really stuck on what to do. Would it be worth taking a gap year and reapplying to Cambridge? If anyone has information on stats to do with reapplications or general advice, it would be much appreciated! Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)
    I got rejected from Cambridge post-interview for English. I'm going to request feedback but I'm 99.9% sure I know why they didn't even put me in the winter pool and it's because of some stupid stuff I said at the end of the first interview. Because of nerves, I was way too honest about my other A-Level subjects and how stressful they were and how the essay questions didn't make sense (I know, what an idiot).

Apart from that, I thought my interviews went really well and my overall application was strong. I'm gutted - especially because I'm pretty sure it was all my fault and I blew my chances in the space of 30 seconds.

I'm not really sure what to do now. I've got offers from KCL, Bristol and Royal Holloway. Waiting to hear back from UCL. If I get into UCL (unlikely though) I'm pretty sure I'll just go there but those other unis don't really excite me if I'm honest. Really stuck on what to do. Would it be worth taking a gap year and reapplying to Cambridge? If anyone has information on stats to do with reapplications or general advice, it would be much appreciated! Thanks.
    If you end up exceeding the typical requirements AND your feedback tells you things that you can improve upon, then for sure reapplicants can be very competitive, and they generally have a higher success rate than first time applicants.

See how it goes on results day and take it from there.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't second guess so much, keep your eyes on how to move forward, be that re-applying or accepting where you get in. The truth is that there is a degree of luck involved, more than we care to acknowledge, and subjectivity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.