Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    those of you going to university this year are you living at home or moving out to accomadation?

ReputationRep:
    accomadation :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    accomadation :cool:
    staying home only coz i dont wanna give up my home life etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    staying home only coz i dont wanna give up my home life etc

Whats so great at home?

ReputationRep:
    Whats so great at home?
    i have a job, sports clubs... thats about it really :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i have a job, sports clubs... thats about it really :cool:
    hehe, but you could get a job while at uni and join the sports clubs at uni. I'm gonna work while at uni. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    only coz i dont wanna give up my home life etc
    but if you move into accomodation then you get the best of both world. you've got home to escape to at weekends if it gets too much but theres also home for the holidays when you can get away from uni and catch up with friends. if youre into your sports then you can join teams when youre there, i just think its easier to make friends that way. if you're outgoing anyway then that shouldnt be a problem though.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, but you could get a job while at uni and join the sports clubs at uni. I'm gonna work while at uni. :cool:
    yea but it took me long enough to get my current job, i like my local sport also i dont wanna owe a million when i leave uni. at home has its advantages although it doesnt offer student experience etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMinx)
    but if you move into accomodation then you get the best of both world. you've got home to escape to at weekends if it gets too much but theres also home for the holidays when you can get away from uni and catch up with friends. if youre into your sports then you can join teams when youre there, i just think its easier to make friends that way. if you're outgoing anyway then that shouldnt be a problem though.
    im not outgoing thats my main worry, i mean im a really quiet guy its gonna be hard to fit in (i think ive never been to uni before i dunno)

ReputationRep:
    im not outgoing thats my main worry, i mean im a really quiet guy its gonna be hard to fit in (i think ive never been to uni before i dunno)
    if you're not in halls and not joining any clubs, then your course will be your only opportunity to make friends. i'd advise you just to go up and talk to anyone and everyone in the first week or so. Right at the beginning is the best time to do this when no-one knows anyone. Everyones in the same boat so theyll be grateful for you making an effort. Do it asap before people have established friendship groups.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna knock on everyones door and run off when i get into halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMinx)
    if you're not in halls and not joining any clubs, then your course will be your only opportunity to make friends. i'd advise you just to go up and talk to anyone and everyone in the first week or so. Right at the beginning is the best time to do this when no-one knows anyone. Everyones in the same boat so theyll be grateful for you making an effort. Do it asap before people have established friendship groups.

:eek: its gonna be hard but i'll try, im not usually the first to go up to ppl lol. i'll do my best.

ReputationRep:
    you'll end up lonely if you don't. and think about it, what've you got to lose? nothing! And the more people you know, the more help youll get with your course when you get stuck be brave.

ReputationRep:
    Whats so great at home?
    - No TV Licence to pay.
    - No tax.
    - No rent (unless your parents charge)
    - Nobody to disturb you.
    - No long-term debt.
    - No home sickness
    - No worries about moving again in the 2nd year
    - No cleaners to disturb you.
    - No housework to do (well, not much anyway)
    - Free, cooked meals always. No shopping necessary.

You also have

- A Playstation to have fun on.
    - Your home computer (without net restrictions)
    - Your old bedroom and cosy bed that you're used too
    - The loving family pets to greet you each day.
    - Your old friends nearby
    - More money to play around with.
    - No messing about at the end of each term.

And if you think you're missing out on student life

- You can always sleep over at the uni with friends. But unlike those living there, they won't be bored with your company.
    - You can always go out with them and have fun there.
    - If you argue with someone or you don't get along, you're not stuck there with them.
    - You can always call round your friends house and revise in their room.
    - You don't have to worry about snoring or living with physcos.

- If you still don't like living at home, you always have the option of moving out.

ReputationRep:
    Accomodation I say. University is a way of life, it's one of those 'steep learning curves' that life throws at you, so I feel that it is important to take onboard all of the lifestyle changes it brings with it, even if it means moving away from your creature comforts, so that you can grow up a bit. I think it also makes it easier to make friends, fit in and fully enjoy the whole experience aswell. It would be wierd going out with mates from Uni and then having to trek home at 4 in the morning when they all go back to Halls to crash out in my opinion, as though I was some sort of part-timer. You still get to see your family etc...at weekends!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that post Pencil - I may live at home depending on which uni's I apply to in september, it's nice to read a list of the the advantages of living at home

ReputationRep:
    - No TV Licence to pay. (I never had a tv, hence no licence anyway)
    - No tax. (what kind of tax? you don't have to pay any!)
    - No rent (maybe not, but then you have to live by your parents' rules)
    - Nobody to disturb you. (i have more disturbance at home - parents/siblings etc. - than i do at uni. you get to live your life by your rules and have much more independence)
    - No long-term debt. (big advantage i admit, but then all students are in that situation and you dont have to pay interest - its the only time in your life when you'll get an interest free loan, you may as well make the most of it while you can)
    - No home sickness (having lived in the same place most of my life i still dont get home sickness. those who do can always pop home whenever they need to. and youll make close friends who'll become you're second family)
    - No worries about moving again in the 2nd year (but its fun!)
    - No cleaners to disturb you. (yeah, you just get to live in a **** hole instead. in halls if you dont want the cleaners in you put a note on your door and they wont!)
    - No housework to do (and theres loads to do in halls?!)
    - Free, cooked meals always. No shopping necessary. (if you do your own shopping you get to buy what YOU want)

You also have

- A Playstation to have fun on. (a playstation is not my idea of fun)
    - Your home computer (without net restrictions) -most unis have free internet access which is faster than you'll get at home.
    - Your old bedroom and cosy bed that you're used too (instead of two bedrooms - your old and cosy one that youre used to or the new funky hangout spot for you and friends)
    - The loving family pets to greet you each day. (joy)
    - Your old friends nearby (who will mostly be off at university anyway so you won't be able to chill out with them)
    - More money to play around with. (but if none of your friends are around and you've made no new ones because everyone's hanging out with their new hallmates then you won't need any money)
    - No messing about at the end of each term. (but that's half the fun)

- You can always sleep over at the uni with friends. But unlike those living there, they won't be bored with your company. (but it'll take you twice as long to get to know people)
    - You can always go out with them and have fun there.(and then have the hassle of getting home after)
    - If you argue with someone or you don't get along, you're not stuck there with them.(yeah you dont live with them but you'll still have to see them every day. in my experience then amount of good times greatly outnumbered the amount of arguments..in fact i dont think we really had any)
    - You can always call round your friends house and revise in their room.(which they wont want cos theyve got hallmates to do that with)
    - You don't have to worry about snoring or living with physcos.(got ya dad for that)

- If you still don't like living at home, you always have the option of moving out.(and having to pay rent anyway so you may as well've moved into halls in the first place!)

Just giving the other side of the argument. Personally, i would find it easier making friends in halls as im not the loudest of people and you instantly have a group of friends that way. It's not right for everyone though i realise that so just do whatever you're comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    I wish that was true! I live at home too but not all of them apply.

(Original post by Pencil)
    - No TV Licence to pay.
    - No tax. - I pay VAT
    - No rent (unless your parents charge) I pay £100 a term.
    - Nobody to disturb you. - My mum distrubs me.
    - No long-term debt. I will still be in debt £8000.
    - No home sickness - True
    - No worries about moving again in the 2nd year - True
    - No cleaners to disturb you. - True
    - No housework to do (well, not much anyway) - I do DIY and some houseowrk but not muc.h.
    - Free, cooked meals always. No shopping necessary. - I do a lot of shopping, its called helping my parents out.

You also have

- A Playstation to have fun on.
    - Your home computer (without net restrictions) - I would have this at university otherwise the university would not be worth going to.
    - Your old bedroom and cosy bed that you're used too - True
    - The loving family pets to greet you each day. - True
    - Your old friends nearby - True although this can be a bad thing.
    - More money to play around with. - True
    - No messing about at the end of each ter - True

- You can always sleep over at the uni with friends. But unlike those living there, they won't be bored with your company.
    - You can always go out with them and have fun there.
    - If you argue with someone or you don't get along, you're not stuck there with them.
    - You can always call round your friends house and revise in their room.
    - You don't have to worry about snoring or living with physcos.

- If you still don't like living at home, you always have the option of moving out.
    My social life isn't great but I do have an active one, I have spent more than £500 so far this year in pubs and clubs and I not a big drinker and I am none smoker.

I think the biggest problem of living at home is you don't get the indepenance skills.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget, of course, that not all of us have the option of living at home. My nearest medical school is over an hour away by car, and no way is that worth it, especially considering the extra hassle it would be to have a social life. None of my friends are at home either, so social life would totally suck.

Far, far more important to go to a university that you enjoy and that is of a good standard (the only one I could possibly go to is Wolverhampton and not only does that not offer Medicine, but it's a dump) than the supposed "conveniences" of living at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Don't forget, of course, that not all of us have the option of living at home. My nearest medical school is over an hour away by car, and no way is that worth it, especially considering the extra hassle it would be to have a social life. None of my friends are at home either, so social life would totally suck.

Far, far more important to go to a university that you enjoy and that is of a good standard (the only one I could possibly go to is Wolverhampton and not only does that not offer Medicine, but it's a dump) than the supposed "conveniences" of living at home.
    In my case a university that offered my course and was one of the better ones the type of thing I wanted to study was only 5 miles away, and my parents are not exactly rich, it would have been stupid to move out of a decent area into a rough area just for the sake of living away from home.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.