Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Don't forget, of course, that not all of us have the option of living at home. My nearest medical school is over an hour away by car, and no way is that worth it, especially considering the extra hassle it would be to have a social life. None of my friends are at home either, so social life would totally suck.

Far, far more important to go to a university that you enjoy and that is of a good standard (the only one I could possibly go to is Wolverhampton and not only does that not offer Medicine, but it's a dump) than the supposed "conveniences" of living at home.
    Good point. My nearest uni is TVU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    me too, hahahha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMinx)
    me too, hahahha
    where do u live?

ReputationRep:
    amazing how many people mis spell accommodation

anywho, im moving away, far away actually

imo, moving out for uni is one step in becoming independent, if i live at home with my rents until im like, 22, then the time i move out will be hard however, if i move out for uni now, at 18, i will be more prepared to become dependent on myself rather than my rents when i leave.

ReputationRep:
    definitely moving out to halls...for me that is the point of university, when you go to stand on your own two feet...want to be self catered and cook for myself too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    TVU isn't that bad, if you ignore the 32% 2:1 rate, the high drop out rates etc. According to the Guardian its better than the a lot of traditional universities, according to the Times its ranked 100.

According to unofficialguides.com a lot of people seem to have problems getting jobs though from there though. I think I can say you're doing the right thing by moving out

I think TVU is one of them universities more geared up for mature local students who want a degree but can't afford to move out etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    TVU isn't that bad, if you ignore the 32% 2:1 rate, the high drop out rates etc. According to the Guardian its better than the a lot of traditional universities, according to the Times its ranked 100.

According to unofficialguides.com a lot of people seem to have problems getting jobs though from there though. I think I can say you're doing the right thing by moving out

I think TVU is one of them universities more geared up for mature local students who want a degree but can't afford to move out etc.
    Couple of people I know say the administration's awful - you can't get them to help with anything at all, whether that be getting your loan, sorting out a timetable or receiving exam results.

ReputationRep:
    i live 12 miles from uni, i want to moveout but haven't heard about accomodation yet. Becuase i live near, i'm not guaranteed accomodation, but i really hope i get it as i feel ready for some independence!

ReputationRep:
    Living at home. But it is my own home, not the parental home, so a little different!

ReputationRep:

Yeah, my mate's mum did a part time degree course there and really enjoyed it. But that doesn't mean I want to go there! I don't fancy being in Slough for three years either

ReputationRep:
    Better than which "traditional" universities, dare I ask?

ReputationRep:

probably the 100th best university in the UK..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.