Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mens Suits - "Dry clean only" - What happens if you machine wash them? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I am looking to buy some mens Suits, certain suits state that they are "Dry clean only" -

What EXACTLY happens if you machine wash them? Can you still put them in the machine.

If a DRY CLEAN suit is around £20, and the machine washable is costing over £70. If I am planning to wear it a few times,
    Would it be better to simply buy the £20, use it many times and shove it in the wash?

Is this Dry clean or Machine washable?
    82% Polyester,18% Viscose
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try it and find out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Why don't you try it and find out?
    Happy to accept the offer. As long as you can provide and pay me for the suit

On a serious note - what does happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)

It ****s them.

You shouldn't need to regularly wash your suits.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)

Meh, I dunno. It'd ruin the fabric or something. It doesn't say 'dry-clean' for the bants.

ReputationRep:
    The risk is that it will shrink and the colour will fade.

ReputationRep:
    You usually die.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it and nothing much happens. If you do it a lot it will damage the fabric but there isn't a fundamental difference in how machine washable and dry clean only suits are made.

ReputationRep:
    Some things which claim to be "dry clean only" are perfectly okay to put in the washing machine. However, there are certain types of clothing/ materials which one should not machine wash at all. I've ruined expensive jackets and cashmere jumpers by not listening to the label.

I would not machine wash an expensive suit (or any suit that said dry clean). It is likely to ruin the shape, shoulders especially, and perhaps shrink.

ReputationRep:
    There are two potential problems: (a) water/detergent damage to the material and (b) differential shrinkage (and some shrinkage is very likely) between the outer cloth and the internal materials used to shape the jacket (especially in the lapels).

If you do it use a low temperature (30C or below) and don't tumble dry.

ReputationRep:
    Suits are made of wool. Wool shrinks in the wash. There's probably ways round it, but if you've spent £600 on a suit, would you really want to?

For the bants, you could get a blazer from the charity shop and give it a wash to see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Suits are made of wool. Wool shrinks in the wash. There's probably ways round it, but if you've spent £600 on a suit, would you really want to?

For the bants, you could get a blazer from the charity shop and give it a wash to see what happens.
    Hey i forgot to add: Excluding Wool Suits

Suits like this: 82% Polyester,18% Viscose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    Some things which claim to be "dry clean only" are perfectly okay to put in the washing machine. However, there are certain types of clothing/ materials which one should not machine wash at all. I've ruined expensive jackets and cashmere jumpers by not listening to the label.

I would not machine wash an expensive suit (or any suit that said dry clean). It is likely to ruin the shape, shoulders especially, and perhaps shrink.
    What sort of materials "are perfectly okay to put in the washing machine"??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A disproportionate amount of women's clothes are labelled delicate or dry clean only. I tend to check what the fabric is actually made of, and then I put 'x fabric type, alternative to dry cleaning' into google. Wikihow has a lot of articles that give safe suggestions for how to wash your clothes without dry cleaning, depending on the fabric.

If you ignore laundry labels, often your clothes will shrink, the fabric might change it's quality, e.g. by becoming brittle or rough, and the garment might become entirely mishapen. Sometimes fabric even tears or rips, e.g if it shrinks but things like buttons or zips are pulling against the shrinking. Sometimes it is fine. But I would do your research.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.