Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me find a less annoying data plan and carrier? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. It is my birthday today. It is also the day that I have finally had it with GiffGaff. The wifi where I'm staying is terrible, and it is especially terrible on weekends and when it is raining. It isn't my home, so I can't do anything to change home broadband. Instead I often rely on my iPad 4G to make up for things when home wifi is being impossible. So imagine how pissed off I was today when it was raining, and a weekend... and I couldn't get any pages to load AND ****ing GiffGaff wouldn't renew my new data bundle in a timely fashion.

This happens every ****ing time :banghead: They don't send any kind of alert or warning that I'm near the end of my data. Then, when I've run out, they accept my payment for a new bundle, but it typically doesn't kick in for 6 hours or so, rendering the whole thing almost redundant. They also don't have a feature for automatically renewing the bundle when it runs out. They offer a 'recurring goodybag' but the damn thing only recurs once a month, rather than whatever day it is your data runs out :motz:

I've completely had it with them. I would be so grateful for a recommendation, or generally just to hear other TSRers experiences with Pay & Go data plans with other service providers.

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Hi all. It is my birthday today. It is also the day that I have finally had it with GiffGaff. The wifi where I'm staying is terrible, and it is especially terrible on weekends and when it is raining. It isn't my home, so I can't do anything to change home broadband. Instead I often rely on my iPad 4G to make up for things when home wifi is being impossible. So imagine how pissed off I was today when it was raining, and a weekend... and I couldn't get any pages to load AND ****ing GiffGaff wouldn't renew my new data bundle in a timely fashion.

This happens every ****ing time :banghead: They don't send any kind of alert or warning that I'm near the end of my data. Then, when I've run out, they accept my payment for a new bundle, but it typically doesn't kick in for 6 hours or so, rendering the whole thing almost redundant. They also don't have a feature for automatically renewing the bundle when it runs out. They offer a 'recurring goodybag' but the damn thing only recurs once a month, rather than whatever day it is your data runs out :motz:

I've completely had it with them. I would be so grateful for a recommendation, or generally just to hear other TSRers experiences with Pay & Go data plans with other service providers.

Thanks!
    Three. Three. Three. Try their 'All-in-One 20 Add-on.', it's like a 30 day rolling plan, similar to giffgaff but I find their coverage and service to be far superior to giffgaff.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Three. Three. Three. Try their 'All-in-One 20 Add-on.', it's like a 30 day rolling plan, similar to giffgaff but I find their coverage and service to be far superior to giffgaff.

Good luck
    PRSOM! Really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want good 4G, 3 are not who you want to be with lol, they cover just over 50% of the UK, lowest coverage there is.
    PAYG data is very expensive, EE are the best, they cover 98% of the UK and their speeds are supposedly the fastest by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    If you want good 4G, 3 are not who you want to be with lol, they cover just over 50% of the UK, lowest coverage there is.
    PAYG data is very expensive, EE are the best, they cover 98% of the UK and their speeds are supposedly the fastest by far.
    Sure but how is their app, and does the data become available fast when you top up and need it in a hurry? That's the priority. My husband tried to get an EE sim card multiple times, and they never sent it out.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    But when Three UK don't cover you with 4G, they do cover you with fast 3G, which can be very quick (up to 20Mbps). And the All-in-1 20 is very good value.

I'd rather have Three 3G any day over O2 EDGE or GPRS.

I'd definitely recommend 3 PAYG because even if you don't get an All-in-1 bundle, their PAYG rates are very cheap at just 3p/minute and 1p/MB data (no other main provider can do that). EE are better but also more expensive and I don't know how their recurring packs work.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    I haven't had problems with o2 but they're quite expensive. If you add more data it shows up in a couple of minutes and it does warn you when you're low on data. Using EE now and that's good, plus after 3 months you get a freebie to increase one of your allowances. So if you had 500mb a month, you get 1gb instead etc.

I would try getting some free sims just to see how the connection is tho. I had giffgaff for a bit and connection was fine at my place so can't say how the others will be at your place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    I haven't had problems with o2 but they're quite expensive. If you add more data it shows up in a couple of minutes and it does warn you when you're low on data. Using EE now and that's good, plus after 3 months you get a freebie to increase one of your allowances. So if you had 500mb a month, you get 1gb instead etc.
    Thanks for sharing
    (Original post by spotify95)
    But when Three UK don't cover you with 4G, they do cover you with fast 3G, which can be very quick (up to 20Mbps). And the All-in-1 20 is very good value.

Yeh that's what I'm thinking. Currently my iPad sometimes gets 4G and sometimes 3G. But since I don't stream, 3G is pretty much always fine for my needs. Usually it's just Facebook, TSR, email and things like google hangouts. If I want to watch something, I load it up in advance. The main thing is price and the quality of the app and their useability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)

I'd definitely recommend 3 PAYG because even if you don't get an All-in-1 bundle, their PAYG rates are very cheap at just 3p/minute and 1p/MB data (no other main provider can do that). EE are better but also more expensive and I don't know how their recurring packs work.
    Where have I recommended O2?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Where have I recommended O2?
    Probably nowhere, but I was adding in O2 as a comparison because the OP is/was on Giffgaff and Giffgaff uses the O2 network. So if you're going to get GPRS or EDGE on Giffgaff, then you won't get anything better on O2!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing

Yeh that's what I'm thinking. Currently my iPad sometimes gets 4G and sometimes 3G. But since I don't stream, 3G is pretty much always fine for my needs. Usually it's just Facebook, TSR, email and things like google hangouts. If I want to watch something, I load it up in advance. The main thing is price and the quality of the app and their useability.
    For my requirements, both 3G and 4G are adequate enough, I can use streaming audio services over 3G quite easily. I don't do that much that requires a superfast speed
    The All-in-1 20 is worth having; I wouldn't get the All-in-1 £10 package though as you only get 1GB data (I think).
    As I said, I haven't used their app much at all (and I just used the 3 SIM as a secondary SIM) so I don't know about how that works. Hopefully someone else on here will be able to help out in regards to that :yep:

But whatever network you go to, you'll more than likely notice a speed improvement because Giffgaff is low priority on the O2 network - meaning users get less capacity. (My local upgraded 4G mast gets about 3Mbps on Giffgaff, and it' quite rural so not much of a load on it!)

ReputationRep:
    Ordered today from Three:

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Ordered today from Three:

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Yay!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.