Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just want to be prepared and avoid homesickness! :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the next academic year I'm going to uni; my 'firm' choice is very far away but I love it, my insurance much closer, still good, I'll enjoy there too, but didn't quite have the full 'Uni feeling'. I know if I get in to the first I'll be pumped - which brings me to my question. I'm a bit of a homebody, and have had one experience of homesickness during a summer camp. I want to avoid a repeat as much as possible! What would you guys suggest I take with me or do to avoid becoming too home sick / what helped you when a fit of 'I wanna go home' hit you?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you're prone to homesickness, it probably will hit you at some point. The best way to avoid it and to cope with it is to keep yourself busy - go to events and make friends, so you have some support when you're feeling like you just want to be at home. I wouldn't go home too often either, you'll miss out on things and it will make it more difficult.

Take little things for your room as well, like fairy lights/posters/nice duvet cover/photos etc to make it your own, you'll feel far more comfortable in a room that looks like it belongs to you than something which feels bare!

At the end of the day, everyone has times when they just want to go home, and that's totally fine. Do what works for you, and don't worry too much. Most people find uni a fantastic experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    If you're prone to homesickness, it probably will hit you at some point. The best way to avoid it and to cope with it is to keep yourself busy - go to events and make friends, so you have some support when you're feeling like you just want to be at home. I wouldn't go home too often either, you'll miss out on things and it will make it more difficult.

Take little things for your room as well, like fairy lights/posters/nice duvet cover/photos etc to make it your own, you'll feel far more comfortable in a room that looks like it belongs to you than something which feels bare!

At the end of the day, everyone has times when they just want to go home, and that's totally fine. Do what works for you, and don't worry too much. Most people find uni a fantastic experience!
    Thanks so much! I'm not the most outgoing person in terms of sociability, and I am definitely going to try be more out there
    The personal touches seem good too, guess who is just going to have a mountain of teddy bears XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empaz)
    In the next academic year I'm going to uni; my 'firm' choice is very far away but I love it, my insurance much closer, still good, I'll enjoy there too, but didn't quite have the full 'Uni feeling'. I know if I get in to the first I'll be pumped - which brings me to my question. I'm a bit of a homebody, and have had one experience of homesickness during a summer camp. I want to avoid a repeat as much as possible! What would you guys suggest I take with me or do to avoid becoming too home sick / what helped you when a fit of 'I wanna go home' hit you?
    Thanks!
    I'm worried about the very same, that's why I'm considering deferring entry to university for a year ( gap year ) and travelling or volunteering abroad to get me more used to being away from home.
    Most people go to university and do fine, freshers week will be good for you to make friends, you'll talk to people on your course and your family are only a phone call away. So I mean it just depends how you feel. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    I'm worried about the very same, that's why I'm considering deferring entry to university for a year ( gap year ) and travelling or volunteering abroad to get me more used to being away from home.
    Most people go to university and do fine, freshers week will be good for you to make friends, you'll talk to people on your course and your family are only a phone call away. So I mean it just depends how you feel. Good luck!
    Good luck to you too! Whether you do defer for a year or not, I hope you have fun and meet some wonderful people
    Thank goodness for technology, right? I don't know if I could survive if I only had a pay phone available!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empaz)
    Good luck to you too! Whether you do defer for a year or not, I hope you have fun and meet some wonderful people
    Thank goodness for technology, right? I don't know if I could survive if I only had a pay phone available!
    Thank youuu, you too! Ikr? There's even FaceTime/Skype now which is even better!
    Same tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Heya! I'm in my first year now and was really worried about home sickness as I'm a very home person, but it's honestly not that bad. I do miss home a lot but I also enjoy my time here and I know my parents think I'm having fun which makes it easier homesickness hits me the worst when I'm in my room on my own and everyone else is out/working, so I would suggest bringing some stuff to do. I have a couple of books to read and I have some cross stitches and crafty things like that to do, which sounds really lame but sometimes it's just nice to do something other than sit on my phone good luck, I'm sure you will have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, you will get homesickness at some point, it might hit you in the first week, it might hit you halfway through second year, but you'll almost certainly get it once.

As for minimalising it you need to just dive straight in, attend uni, meet people, join societies, make friends, make it your home. Don't overprioritise commitments involving home, try not to visit unless it's something important (wedding/funeral of close family member, or best friend's birthday kind of important), and don't overdo the skype sessions especially if it means putting off doing things with uni friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAmy123)
    Heya! I'm in my first year now and was really worried about home sickness as I'm a very home person, but it's honestly not that bad. I do miss home a lot but I also enjoy my time here and I know my parents think I'm having fun which makes it easier homesickness hits me the worst when I'm in my room on my own and everyone else is out/working, so I would suggest bringing some stuff to do. I have a couple of books to read and I have some cross stitches and crafty things like that to do, which sounds really lame but sometimes it's just nice to do something other than sit on my phone good luck, I'm sure you will have a great time!
    I really do like that crafty idea, I hadn't even thought of anything like that, so thank you so much I love reading, so no shortage there; I like sketching but haven't done much in the past year, it would be lovely to get back into it!
    I'm glad you're enjoying uni; good luck with the rest of the year, and I hope your cross stitching goes well
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empaz)
    Thanks!
    Hello,

There is a 50/50 split when it comes to homesickness, some people experience it, others don't. Some people just love the independence where as others struggle to adjust.

My advice is this, when you're there, there may be a time when homesickness hits and you'll want to go home and see friends and family. This first time is the most important. If you cave and go home, you'll struggle from there on. If you can hold it out, stay at university - you'll be okay.

Keep yourself busy in the first few weeks, explore the university and the city. Join societies and make friends. Get started on some work or anything else that you find distracting. Just keep yourself busy - but don't over do it!

Take things to make you feel comfortable in your accommodation. Make it a home away from home, pictures and what not. Also there is no shame in calling home everyday. Me and my mum talk everyday and catch up on each others lives.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Keeping busy and not giving into homesickness are important. That means you shouldn't go home AT ALL in the first term and set a reasonable limit on skype/phone calls (e.g. once a week) - you won't get used to being away from home if you're always clinging on to it. If you feel crappy try and go out or hang out with friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empaz)
    Thanks!
    I am currently an international student at Glyndwr university and there are many times that i get severely home sick, but technology today is amazing, between skype, facetime and whatsapp im always in contact with my family which helps. You cant ever avoid being homesick unless you keep your self busy 24/7, but the experience really makes you appreciate home that little bit more when you do get the chance to go back. Take the leap or you might regret never taking the opportunity. The universitys also offer loads of support and hopefully the new friends you make will help you out to!

ReputationRep:
    you need to understand that home sickness will happen it happens to everyone in halls you can be the most confident independent person ever and it will still hit you the trick is to recognise it and release it will pass in a few days you can distract your self with work or what ever and in the end it will be fine when it hits whatever you do DON'T DROP OUT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Keeping busy and not giving into homesickness are important. That means you shouldn't go home AT ALL in the first term and set a reasonable limit on skype/phone calls (e.g. once a week) - you won't get used to being away from home if you're always clinging on to it. If you feel crappy try and go out or hang out with friends.
    As someone who's been living away from home for 3 years, this is the oddest advice I've ever seen for homesickness. Reducing communications with your family will worsen homesickness, and make you feel more alone, not make it better.

OP, try to talk to your family as much as possible, everyday if possible. Apart from that, try to keep yourself busy, see friends a lot, go to events, do sport, try to limit your time at home to nighttime only, and when you are alone keep yourself entertained with a book, a movie, any hobbies you like

Oh, and a pet will really help! Being away from home is an experience that will shape who you are as a person, it's going to be hard but help you give a sense of freedom and independence. You need anything, you can PM me. Best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    As someone who's been living away from home for 3 years, this is the oddest advice I've ever seen for homesickness. Reducing communications with your family will worsen homesickness, and make you feel more alone, not make it better.

OP, try to talk to your family as much as possible, everyday if possible. Apart from that, try to keep yourself busy, see friends a lot, go to events, do sport, try to limit your time at home to nighttime only, and when you are alone keep yourself entertained with a book, a movie, any hobbies you like

Oh, and a pet will really help! Being away from home is an experience that will shape who you are as a person, it's going to be hard but help you give a sense of freedom and independence. You need anything, you can PM me. Best of luck!!
    Students + pets do NOT mix.

You've got to learn to be independent and you don't do that by running back to your parents every time you feel lonely. The first couple of weeks will probably be really hard and if you immediately get on a train home for the weekend then the next few weeks will be just as hard. If you call your parents every day then any day you don't call them will feel horrible. You have to learn how to be okay without your family - and that means getting through the tough part and finding other ways to be happy.

From someone who's also lived away from home for 6 years and in a foreign country for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Students + pets do NOT mix.

You've got to learn to be independent and you don't do that by running back to your parents every time you feel lonely. The first couple of weeks will probably be really hard and if you immediately get on a train home for the weekend then the next few weeks will be just as hard. If you call your parents every day then any day you don't call them will feel horrible. You have to learn how to be okay without your family - and that means getting through the tough part and finding other ways to be happy.

From someone who's also lived away from home for 6 years and in a foreign country for 6 months.
    Oh? That's interesting. Please elaborate what you mean by that? I think the positive effect my three kittens have had on my mental health will beg to differ.

By the way, I totally agree with you, being independent without parents is really important. However calling your parents because you're lonely isn't really what I meant. I meant in a way to check up on them, and maintain a sense of closeness. Without calling them so often, you're likely to grow further away from them which is a shame considering how important family is. Whenever you feel lonely going out with friends is considered a lot more useful for me, and like I said I really rarely ever call my parents cos I'm lonely, just because I wanna work on my bond with them.

From someone who's lived 3 years in a foreign country ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    Oh? That's interesting. Please elaborate what you mean by that? I think the positive effect my three kittens have had on my mental health will beg to differ.

By the way, I totally agree with you, being independent without parents is really important. However calling your parents because you're lonely isn't really what I meant. I meant in a way to check up on them, and maintain a sense of closeness. Without calling them so often, you're likely to grow further away from them which is a shame considering how important family is. Whenever you feel lonely going out with friends is considered a lot more useful for me, and like I said I really rarely ever call my parents cos I'm lonely, just because I wanna work on my bond with them.

From someone who's lived 3 years in a foreign country ^^
    Students are generally poor (and pets cost a lot of money - health insurance, food etc), disorganised, travelling around a lot, unable to have animals in their accommodation - so for the majority a pet is not going to be well enough cared for. Plus their lived tend to change regularly and this lands a huge number of animals in shelters where students have bought them and then 1, 2, 3 years down the line decided it's too difficult/expensive/time consuming and dumped them. You may be a fantastic pet-owner but for the majority of students it's not something they should be seriously considering.

Nothing wrong with contacting parents a lot but you should force yourself to be a bit independent for the initial period while you're settling in so you don't start relying on them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.